photo shoot behind-the-scenes video

dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
edited May 11, 2011 in Video
http://vimeo.com/23273883

Just finished editing another short behind-the-scenes video. Had to edit it on a macbook because for some reason Premiere Pro on my production PC won't import aiff files for audio and the song I licensed for this was an aiff file. Anyone else experienced this with importing audio on Premiere Pro?

Also, I need to mess around with export settings because the video quality isn't very good (even accounting for my exposure and focus errors).

Anyway, basically posting this to say I am determined to improve my video skills and sometimes the best way to learn is to shoot and edit video over and over and over until you do get it right! :D

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
website blog instagram facebook g+

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    Nice stuff Pete...How do you like handling both vid and Stills? Same Camera?
    tom wise
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Nice stuff Pete...How do you like handling both vid and Stills? Same Camera?

Thanks Tom. Still have a lot to learn and ironically have footage for two more videos I've shot but haven't had time to edit yet!

It's tough to shoot both video and stills during the same shoot, that's for sure. Honestly at this point, I still put most of my energy into getting high quality stills with the video taking a back seat.

I haven't mastered using one camera for both yet since the exposure settings on each vary widely and I prefer a zoom lens for video and a prime lens for stills. So at this point, I use one DSLR for video and one for stills. And I haven't even tried to add audio into the mix yet!

How about you? What's your experience trying to shoot video and stills on the same shoot? Anyone else here doing that? I'd love to hear from folks who are trying both on the same shoot.

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    dogwood wrote: »
    Thanks Tom. Still have a lot to learn and ironically have footage for two more videos I've shot but haven't had time to edit yet!

It's tough to shoot both video and stills during the same shoot, that's for sure. Honestly at this point, I still put most of my energy into getting high quality stills with the video taking a back seat.

I haven't mastered using one camera for both yet since the exposure settings on each vary widely and I prefer a zoom lens for video and a prime lens for stills. So at this point, I use one DSLR for video and one for stills. And I haven't even tried to add audio into the mix yet!

How about you? What's your experience trying to shoot video and stills on the same shoot? Anyone else here doing that? I'd love to hear from folks who are trying both on the same shoot.

Interesting about the Audio aspect & the ZOom thoughts!! Audio is a huge component! I've yet to do the video/stills thing like I'd desire. With me and my Son last year, doing the water shoot, it worked, but not as I'd hoped. I was in the water with him, with D700 in hand, but had the 5DMK2 on land in vid mode. And today I was videographing a bunch of Student actors for an Acting for Film class, but didn't have any 'real' op for shooting stills within the class. Eventually I'll get there, but using two cameras so far seems daunting and has played out that way. I think what I've seen so far from you, is really great and that is why I continue to watch when you post.
    tom wise
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Interesting about the Audio aspect & the ZOom thoughts!! Audio is a huge component! I've yet to do the video/stills thing like I'd desire. With me and my Son last year, doing the water shoot, it worked, but not as I'd hoped. I was in the water with him, with D700 in hand, but had the 5DMK2 on land in vid mode. And today I was videographing a bunch of Student actors for an Acting for Film class, but didn't have any 'real' op for shooting stills within the class. Eventually I'll get there, but using two cameras so far seems daunting and has played out that way. I think what I've seen so far from you, is really great and that is why I continue to watch when you post.

Thanks, Tom. Yeah, shooting with two cameras is daunting. My best luck with video is when I get an assistant to shoot it while I shoot stills but then the video is the creative work of someone else. I suppose we'll have to wait for the day when it's easy to pull high-quality stills from video (ie like the RED camera). The way all this technology is going though, that may be within the next year or two!