Options

How to display medium/small images in Flash?

tomaszjtomaszj Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited September 8, 2005 in SmugMug API Support & Integrations
Flash (as in Macromedia Flash player) has no problem displaying original photos. But if I try load a medium/small/tiny image, nothing shows up. Flash v7+ isn't capable of displaying progressive jpgs, and I'm wondering if smugmug serves up progressive jpgs for the reduced size versions of the images. Is there a way to toggle the progressive setting? Anybody know any other workarounds?

Example:
http://tomaszj.smugmug.com/photos/22348525-S.jpg will NOT load.
http://tomaszj.smugmug.com/photos/22348525-O.jpg will load no problem.

Thanks,
tj

Comments

• Options
    mwilliamsmwilliams Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2005
    Same issue exactly!
    I'm having the same exact issue with flash. I need this issue resolved. Someone please help.

Thanks,
    Marco
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2005
    mwilliams wrote:
    I'm having the same exact issue with flash. I need this issue resolved. Someone please help.

Thanks,
    Marco

Sorry, guys, but it's not gonna be resolved. I have no idea why Flash doesn't support progressive JPEGs, but I'm afraid that's not really our problem.

With 34,000,000+ photos, we can't just flip a switch and have progressive JPEGs become non-progressive. Nor would we want to - our modem users really appreciate the progressive JPEGs smugmug does offer.

At some point, we may offer an unsupported hack URL to do this, but it's not high on our list.

Sorry!

Don
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    Sorry, guys, but it's not gonna be resolved. I have no idea why Flash doesn't support progressive JPEGs, but I'm afraid that's not really our problem.

With 34,000,000+ photos, we can't just flip a switch and have progressive JPEGs become non-progressive. Nor would we want to - our modem users really appreciate the progressive JPEGs smugmug does offer.

At some point, we may offer an unsupported hack URL to do this, but it's not high on our list.

Sorry!

Don

Possible resources:
    PHP conversion and C++ conversion

I haven't looked at either, but I'm sure there are more out there (I've heard of a perl wrapper for sure).

Don
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    Possible resources:
    PHP conversion and perl conversion

I haven't looked at either, but I'm sure there are more out there.

Don

Also, Flash 8 was announced last month. It (finally!) has support for progressive JPG and PNG and such.

More info

Don
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2005
    Maybe converting 34 Million graphics is a bit much.
    Maybe instead of changing the millions of graphics that are there from progressive to non-progressive jpg's you could provide an option in the ctrl-panel that will enable a non-progressive URL that we then could retrieve from the getURLs method. Would something like that be possible to add? This way you wouldn't have to convert millions of jpg's just the people that want the jpg's as non-progressive.
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2005
    Some research helps!
    So I researched our problem on the net and I found this. I have not tested it yet but I will be over the next few days.

http://www.img2swf.com/downloads.html

I'll keep you posted on the progress.
    Marco