uncreativeuncreative Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited May 17, 2011 in Cameras
Current gear:
20D
EF-S 17-85IS
EF 50mm 1.4
EF 70-300 DO
580EX flash

I'm considering upgrading to a 60D or getting a 17-50 2.8 lens. I'm mostly taking snapshots of the kid, dogs, random pretty scenes. Any opinions?

Comments

• Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    If you aren't having any discontentment with image size, I'd get the glass for sure.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    What is it that you're trying to improve? Is there something you want to be able to do that you currently cannot? A type of picture you want to take but aren't having any success with?
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2011
    those are good questions pupator. i like the idea of video on the 60D. the better focusing would increase my keeper rate on moving objects, i assume. other than that, I think i have it in the back of my head that a new body will provide some sort of missing 'pop' to my photos.

on the other hand, i think that having a faster lens in my most used focal length would lead to better photos, solely due to being able to control the DOF.

as far as image size, 99.9% of my photos go on the web, and the .1% that i've printed look good enough to me.
  • Options
    1scrappychic1scrappychic Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    I wasn't a fan of the 17-50...so I'd opt for the 60d.
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    17-50 or 17-55? The 17-55 is Canon, much better than the Tamron or Sigma 17-50s. Since the 17-55 is about the price of a 60D, I'll assume you meant 17-55. A 60D would definitely be better than a 17-50.

So.. 17-55 vs 60D. If it were me, I'd probably go for the 60D. But it depends. A 17-55 will get you that "pop" you're talking about more than a 60D will. Lenses are more important than body, but the 60D is such an improvement over the 20D. That's a tough decision. You're going to have to decide between flip screen, slightly better autofocus, and HD video (sounds like it'd be nice for you) or better glass, which results in faster autofocus, sharper photos, and creamier bokeh. The 60D has the flip screen. However, if you're mostly putting your shots on the web, you probably don't need 18mp. But, that HD video is nice...

Tough decision indeed!
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited May 15, 2011
    uncreative wrote: »
    those are good questions pupator. i like the idea of video on the 60D. the better focusing would increase my keeper rate on moving objects, i assume. other than that, I think i have it in the back of my head that a new body will provide some sort of missing 'pop' to my photos.

on the other hand, i think that having a faster lens in my most used focal length would lead to better photos, solely due to being able to control the DOF.

as far as image size, 99.9% of my photos go on the web, and the .1% that i've printed look good enough to me.

A large portion of images that lack "pop" also lack proper lighting and proper image processing. Most cameras that have an anti-alias filter in front of the image processor "require" appropriate post-processing and sharpening to create a snappy image, but insufficient or inappropriate lighting may make any image rather lacking.

A large aperture lens, like your EF 50mm, f1.4 USM, can create better separation between subject and background and that too can help "pop" the subject if used appropriately.

The 20D and EF 50mm, f1.4 USM combination is perfectly capable of creating images with "pop" so if that's a consistent problem then you may need to consider a lighting solution for the problem and possibly some post-processing too.

Autofocus is improved in the 60D over the 20D but I believe that the 40D and 50D have either the same AF section as the 60D or a very similar AF section. The 50D and 60D also both have the same image processor, the Digic IV, and that can have an impact on the AF performance, however the 40D is still a very competent camera with regard to AF. I do love my 40D and I have no plans to replace it anytime soon.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2011
    i went through a handful of pics that i've taken this year with the exif data hidden and picked out the ones i really liked. turns out they were almost all taken with the 50mm. the runners up were taken with the canon 17-55 that i borrowed.

so that settles it for now, i am going to buy glass. i'll work on composition and lighting until the 20D stops working, and then revisit. it seems like glass has a much higher resale value as well, so if i discover that the new lens does nothing for me, i can likely resell it without significant loss.

thanks for the help everyone.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited May 16, 2011
    uncreative wrote: »
    i went through a handful of pics that i've taken this year with the exif data hidden and picked out the ones i really liked. turns out they were almost all taken with the 50mm. the runners up were taken with the canon 17-55 that i borrowed.

so that settles it for now, i am going to buy glass. i'll work on composition and lighting until the 20D stops working, and then revisit. it seems like glass has a much higher resale value as well, so if i discover that the new lens does nothing for me, i can likely resell it without significant loss.

thanks for the help everyone.

Sounds like a plan. thumb.gifclap
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2011
    I second Ziggy.

The fact that you don't mention your 70-300 DO as a great lens makes me think technique is the number one problem. This is a difficult lens to use compared to the 1.4 50mm and a specialized and expensive piece of kit.

Maybe an even better use of cash would be a photographer course. Sorry if you think I am being patronizing but gear is not usually the problem and you have a good camera and a couple of good lenses already. Until you know exactly why you want to buy better kit it is smart to learn how to use the kit you have better. At least this is my philosophy.
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2011
    i think thats a good advicegolden...err...balls. i don't use the 70-300 much, its just not a focal range i have much use for right now. but i was given the gear that i have, and thats why i have it.

i think that i understand the basics of photography from reading online, etc, but whenever that viewfinder comes to my eye its like i've had a lobotomy. i'm going to try a class at the local community college to try to hammer in some concepts.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    A large portion of images that lack "pop" also lack proper lighting and proper image processing...
    Amen!

Made this image in 2004 or 2005, on a ghetto D70 and a $140 Sigma 70-300 that was literally a few weeks away from zooming itself into two separate pieces:
    14207993_VJM8E-L-7.jpg

Made this image on the same D70 and an almost as cheap Nikon 24-85 kit lens:
    71476147_9d8tE-L-8.jpg

Made this image on a 2003 model Olympus point and shoot:
    14084452_ydtNp-L-7.jpg

Having said that, I still don't recommend "wasting" money on cheap gear, Laughing.gif. Get the best you can afford, and if you can barely afford the cheapest, maybe keep on saving. But you get the idea...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2011
    As with many other ppl around who know how to use what they've got to best advantage, Mark shows it's more than possible to get excellent results with supposed 'lowly' gear (Panasonic FZ50) + odds 'n ends :)

pp

http://beingmark.com/macro-illustrated/