Options

Q's about Canon 400 5.6 and Tamron 1.4x TC

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
edited September 9, 2005 in Cameras
Considering going longer. My lens spec chart and Canon's website's specs say that the 400 5.6 is 10.1 inches long. Is that with the built-in hood extended or retracted? Before I buy a backpack, I need to know it will fit.

Second question. I've read that the Tamron 1.4x TC does not report aperture. Is this true of Tamron's new 1.4x TC as well, or is there an older model I need to be looking for?

Thanks!
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Considering going longer. My lens spec chart and Canon's website's specs say that the 400 5.6 is 10.1 inches long. Is that with the built-in hood extended or retracted? Before I buy a backpack, I need to know it will fit.

Second question. I've read that the Tamron 1.4x TC does not report aperture. Is this true of Tamron's new 1.4x TC as well, or is there an older model I need to be looking for?

Thanks!

it doesn't report aperture, you can use it with the 400 f/5.6L. this is the model but i seem to recall buying it at bh for like $90. maybe the price went up recently. fyi i sold my tammy converter to skippy, she's using it on her 400 f/5.6L, when she gets back to oz from her u.s. trip, i betcha she'll have loads of shots from it :D
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited September 9, 2005
    Thanks Andy. I didn't know if both models of their 1.4x were of the same specs for the pin layout. I'll bet their Pro model sports those extra 3 pins though.

Looks like the basic TC will also work with my Tamron 28-75 Di as a bonus.

andy wrote:
    it doesn't report aperture, you can use it with the 400 f/5.6L. this is the model but i seem to recall buying it at bh for like $90. maybe the price went up recently. fyi i sold my tammy converter to skippy, she's using it on her 400 f/5.6L, when she gets back to oz from her u.s. trip, i betcha she'll have loads of shots from it :D
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2005
    Hey David, have I ever told you how swell of a guy you are?mwink.gif:D

Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    RickP66RickP66 Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2005
    I bought the cheap Tamron from B&H (I think...it might have been Adorama) a couple months ago for $79. Works fine with my 400.
    Canon 5D, Canon 17-40 f4L, Sigma 24-70 f2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 70-200 f2.8L, Canon 400mm f5.6L, 580EX Flash.