Options

#76 - Shooting outside the box - Whaddya Think?

billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
edited May 16, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I've been interested in emulating some work I've seen recently that's much more abstract and impressionistic that what I've ever tried to do. From what I gather, its something that you either like or don't. I haven't, personally decided if I like this kind of stuff...

So, in the spirit of this forum ...and the gracious folk who hang out here in the challenges... Here's a few "whaddya think?" images. FYI... the post processing was limited to color modification. The image was created at with a small aperture and long exposure, with purposeful camera movement.

05152011FlowerImpressionism-2-L.jpg

05152011FlowerImpressionism-3-L.jpg

05152011FlowerImpressionism-4-L.jpg

05152011FlowerImpressionism-1-L.jpg
Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug

Comments

• Options
    1scrappychic1scrappychic Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2011
    2 and 3 are my favorites. interesting :)
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2011
    I like abstracts and these are cool! I find it interesting that I prefer #1 and #4. :D It may simply be a preference for strong colors and strong contrast.
  • Options
    MammaPaparazzaMammaPaparazza Registered Users Posts: 221 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2011
    Neat...I like 1 and 3, but doesn't hold my attention for to long, it's like a glance and I'm done...probably just my A.D.D. tho ne_nau.gif
    Experimenting is fun, and getting out of the box is def good, leads to bigger and better things ;)
    Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively. - Dalai Lama XIV
    It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2011
    Well, I like 3 the best. Like Angela, it doesn't hold my attention for too long but I do think it's cool. It would make a nice texture or overlay.
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2011
    With abstractions like these--and I like #1 the best, can't say why though--I think they're aesthetic value has more to do with how they're presented. At 600 pixels on a computer screen, they might be "meh." On the other hand, a technically high quality print, done at 30x40 inches and mounted on masonite and lit perfectly, might be awesome hanging on a big wall somewhere.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2011
    ...or printed on a a large piece of silk...
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited May 16, 2011
    I prefer #3 and that is partly because my brain wasn't translating "flowers" until I looked at this one on a different monitor. I think #2 is too subtle to work for this but did get flowers in #4 as well. Fun to see something different!
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2011
    ghinson wrote: »
    With abstractions like these--and I like #1 the best, can't say why though--I think they're aesthetic value has more to do with how they're presented. At 600 pixels on a computer screen, they might be "meh." On the other hand, a technically high quality print, done at 30x40 inches and mounted on masonite and lit perfectly, might be awesome hanging on a big wall somewhere.

I think I'm with you on this. I'm going to skip these for the challenge and thing about putting a couple of them on large canvas to add a little color in our guest bedroom. Thanks for pointing me this direction.
    Bill Banning

• Options
    edited May 16, 2011
    Thanks to those who stopped by this thread. I think that "interesting" is accurate for what abstract flower photos are... and as ghinson states, may be better in large prints on the wall than in the digital realm online.

I guess interesting isn't quite WOW, so I've entered another MOM shot for your consideration:

Street Fair Marsupial
    05152011EscoStreetFair-2-L.jpg
    Bill Banning