Options

Monitor Calibration Tools

limbiklimbik Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
edited September 9, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
Preferably hardware, if anybody uses one, what is your favorite?

Comments

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2005
    Well, I don't know about "favorite" since it's the only one I ever used but I have a Spyder2. It's pretty easy to use and works well. I t includes an adapter for LCDs as well.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited August 26, 2005
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Well, I don't know about "favorite" since it's the only one I ever used but I have a Spyder2. It's pretty easy to use and works well. I t includes an adapter for LCDs as well.

I use the Spyder2Pro on my LCD - and I agree - it seems pretty seamless. It is nice to know that what you see is accurately displayed.

I used a Monoco coorimeter on my Windows machine, but I prefer the Spyder software on my Mac. Both seem to work fine. And files edited on the XP box, look proper on the Mac and vise versa.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    GuillermoGuillermo Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 26, 2005
    Spyder2 and LCD calibration
    pathfinder wrote:
    I use the Spyder2Pro on my LCD - and I agree - it seems pretty seamless. It is nice to know that what you see is accurately displayed.

I used a Monoco coorimeter on my Windows machine, but I prefer the Spyder software on my Mac. Both seem to work fine. And files edited on the XP box, look proper on the Mac and vise versa.
    Any problems with leaving marks on the panel (like suction cup)?
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2005
    Anyone use the Gretag Macbeth Eye-One Display 2?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2005
    limbik wrote:
    I have the first version and it bewilders me. But I'm easily bewildered. I tried the automatic mode and think it didn't do the best possible job.

I believe the product is powerful enough to do a good job, when used in manual mode. I just have no idea what they're talking about in the directions.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2005
    limbik wrote:

I have the first version of the Eye-One Display hardware. It worked OK, but I wasn't totally happy. I downloaded the latest version of the software last week and the new monitor profiles I just made seem much better.
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2005
    Guillermo wrote:
    Any problems with leaving marks on the panel (like suction cup)?
    I also use the Spyder2 and no, there are no suction cup problems - the back of the color sensor has two attachment options and you don't use the suction cups when using an LCD - instead it just rests against the screen. I profiled my screen with it and noticed a small but worthwhile difference.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2005
    Well, I picked up the Spyder2Pro and it works very well, I am quite satisfied.
    Just a note, per something I read elsewhere, I have a dell 2005FPW and it was suggested that I run the calibration selecting no available controls on my monitor. It did seem to work best that way. Previously I was using adobe gamma, and I had to switch between the driver settings and the calibration to do the necessary adjustments, The Spyder did it all. thumb.gif