Options

Jet Skiing on Loch View

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited May 12, 2011 in Sports
Last Sunday I was passing Loch View near to where I live and I saw these jet skiers on the Loch. This is the first time I have taken shots of water skiers so any advice would be most appreciated as I do intend to take more photos of these guys skiing on the Loch.
Cheers
Bob
24.04.1187-L.jpg
loch%20view%20-%2021.04.112201-L.jpg
24.04.11127-L.jpg
24.04.11113-L.jpg
24.04.11148-L.jpg
24.04.11173-L.jpg
24.04.11183-L.jpg
24.04.11180-L.jpg
24.04.11162-L.jpg
24.04.11189-L.jpg
24.04.11190-L.jpg
24.04.11196-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    mom2sagemom2sage Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2011
    Love the expression in #2! Where I live, we call those jet skis, not water skis. They are a ton of fun.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2011
    mom2sage wrote: »
    Love the expression in #2! Where I live, we call those jet skis, not water skis. They are a ton of fun.
    Thanks for looking. They are really great fun and a pleasure to photograph.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    #2 shows a jet ski (check the steering arm that can hinge, lack of seat and overall size); the other photo's is all a water scooter (much larger).

ciao!
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    First off, I think a trip to your local WHS (or whatever mag shop you have) to have a browse thro' relevant mags to see what sort of pics they use - and which ones you like / dislike etc.
    Analyse / study the differences between these pics and yours and use whatever you glean from the exercise to (your) advantage / benefit.

I've no useful direct experience of taking pics of this subject to pass on, but I'd be tempted to try:
    A lower (water level if poss) viewpoint,
    Positions where the relative distances are such that you blur the bg more
    Compositions where the subject is (slightly) smaller - with a bit of space in front of the ski
    Compositions where you're filling the frame with a smaller chunk of subject
    Differently (back?) lit shots to show the spray better

Since I've no idea about the practicalities of the location and how far you want to take this, some of it may only be possible if out on the water yourself - if so, possibly investigate this - maybe after a chat to the guys / gals on the skis?

pp
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    Real good first try. I haven't shot these subjects, but I do have some comments that might be helpful.

The convention in motorsports is to leave space in front of the moving subject that doesn't apply here. Your shots have rooster tails and the wave suds are important context to convey speed.

You shot at SS1000. Your wave suds are blurred, perhaps a higher shutter speed could stop/sharpen them. That is important because they're in front of your subject.

Try shooting the subjects coming toward you @ 45 degrees, that would tighten the rooster tail to subject & less wave suds in front

Good luck & good shooting
    Rags
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2011
    torags wrote: »
    Real good first try. I haven't shot these subjects, but I do have some comments that might be helpful.

The convention in motorsports is to leave space in front of the moving subject that doesn't apply here. Your shots have rooster tails and the wave suds are important context to convey speed.

You shot at SS1000. Your wave suds are blurred, perhaps a higher shutter speed could stop/sharpen them. That is important because they're in front of your subject.

Try shooting the subjects coming toward you @ 45 degrees, that would tighten the rooster tail to subject & less wave suds in front

Good luck & good shooting

Thanks everyone for the advice which you have given me. I will certainly bear in mind the points mentioned and look forward to my next shoot.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2011
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2011
    FlyNavy wrote: »
    Very nice. How cold is the water?
    Thanks for looking and replying. The water at this time of the year is not too cold.
    Cheers
    Bob