Options

47 Me and my reading material

thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
edited September 13, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
I realize I'm not too happy.... probably because I had to put my beautiful collection all over the floor and this is the only picture out of several that I was able to frame right. I'm going to go at this again but what do you think about the idea?
Thanks for any comments.
Ashley
Green is the way to be!
ashleyharding.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    I like it!

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    Me too, I like the idea. Have you tried rotating to landscape format and re-composing for that effect?
    The picture goes some way to giving the viewer an idea of your personality, I like the Nat Geo background.

Just an idea:
    (The shot as it is would may look even better and could portray your obvious love of photography more so, if you had a spare SLR/camera in the frame with you. Maybe just with the strap lying next to your hand in the top right hand side of the pic.)
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    Thats a great idea green egg ! Best time of the month is when i get home from work & there is a new Nat Geo waiting for me.

I live in a box high above the city & sadly dont have room to keep them so i pass them on to waiting rooms etc.
    Gus
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    This is a great shot Ashley. I like the idea. I agree with the others here about trying different compositions though....

You should be happy though...think about the chance you get to go through all of those mags and photos again! :D

Erich
  • Options
    GMonet71GMonet71 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2005
    You are very pretty but I do not know about the colors. The yellow backround from the magazines, you red hair, and the blue shirt ne_nau.gif I don't know what color combo would work better but i guess that would depend on what type of photo or mood you are going for.
  • Options
    thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2005
    Thanks for the comments everyone!
    I'm all smiles in these next one. However, I do feel a bit of a show off because I have so many magazines... and really I haven't gotten through most of them. Though I am working on it. I love reading the articles as well as all the awesome pictures.
    GMonet71, I actually was thinking about that. When I shot it all I was thinking is that I would wear my favorite clothes since this picture was all about me and since the blue top was the newest thing it was my favorite. However, I looked at it and tried wearing all black in these pictures- except for the belt- to be all serious and artisy I suppose. Tell me what you think.
    x1pAdjo0uCo2H3HRsxOzpwU9ciefy9MZRRm0yTfnvJm9GEz7Rd1XjDRhR1z9dtySxJG7Q-6RAWOB_ytG9y7f52HW1pTtXNLKSM_d12bmxIua5CE1bqI3ZbrWzpj5VVZYGwNtkF1RV3tC8L0Y3uzZB1BlY8eJXJCDZ6M

x1pAdjo0uCo2H3HRsxOzpwU9ciefy9MZRRm0yTfnvJm9GHR64qxLakRFU3k5VeVTxVCDECBgFUX9DFSp8nyceoWee1wfWEnOhEW06c1NjAo6tjBnKT1UbCKoYVVbRaYPUOC0pwlitv5F7UGT8yo5LuQug

And the magazine I was so happy to get because of the cover. I really thought I never would have found it but there it was sitting in Value Village so I snatched it up.
    x1pAdjo0uCo2H3HRsxOzpwU9ciefy9MZRRm0yTfnvJm9GFJ6nxRDoJVGCXq7lD7PkUrZHSo5gsQyLctTT4YIWHih2vdogMheYx34-MUXwpTqi-m_5DWtps7RT6e37UF_dwpuMKBGfFwom6o3no-iOFrgg
    Thanks for looking,
    Ashley
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DachDach Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2005
    Oddly enough, except for the T-shirt, I like the first picture best. I think it's because it looks more candid, as if to say, "Oh, I didn't see you come in. I was just rolling around in my National Geographics like a rich man would roll around in money." Perhaps the layout of pic 1 combined with the outfit of pics 2 and 3. I'd vote for that...thumb.gif
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2005
    Not 2 and 3. Because of the way your your face gets pushed up by resting it on your hands. I'd do the layout of the magazines and outfit from photos 2 and 3 but a pose more similar to photo one. Although I would try to crop in more so You fill up more of the frame.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2005
    GE...have you got vol 187 No5 May 1995 ? I have my photo in it...on page 43. Im only a spec in the crowd but was i ever excited to find it !!
  • Options
    SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2005
    Ashley, your first pic is really very good. Whilst I do like the others, as 'Dach" points out the first one is more candid.
    The random effect of the magazines and your pose, your expression, and the way your hair is laid are much more striking.

Whilst to me the colour of your shirt isn't a problem, a plain black would probably work better.
  • Options
    muddykneesmuddyknees Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2005
    I actually like your second setup better, with the magazines all tiled and symmetrical and your somewhat defiant smiling pose.

If you were to try for a third variation, what about a mirror on the floor behind a cutout frame of a NG cover, showing your face within. Or, lie on your back and be reading that issue you mentioned snapping up.

Gary
  • Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2005
    I agree with the other comments, I like the foreground in the first, the background in the second.

Maybe a combination?
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2