Options

7D-5D Mk2 Question.

oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
edited May 18, 2011 in Cameras
Hi all,
Looking through some posts here shows me that the 7D holds its focus points much better than the 5D MK2 and has quicker fps. So apart from being a better camera in low light what are the benifits of owning a 5Dmk2 over a 7D?
Does the 5d mk2 pictures look more detailed in bigger prints?
I do not want to start a big tread here. Just 2 questions i need answered if thats ok.

Cheers
Pat:D

Comments

• Options
    rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2011
    5D MK II
    1 - Full Frame
    2 - only takes EF Glasses
    3 - takes cleaner image on low light settings (ISO)
    4 - Weather Sealing
    5 - Just better Image Quality
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited May 18, 2011
    Hi all,
    Looking through some posts here shows me that the 7D holds its focus points much better than the 5D MK2 and has quicker fps. So apart from being a better camera in low light what are the benifits of owning a 5Dmk2 over a 7D?
    Does the 5d mk2 pictures look more detailed in bigger prints?
    I do not want to start a big tread here. Just 2 questions i need answered if thats ok.

Cheers
    Pat:D

A Canon 7D has a higher photosite density which means that it is more demanding of lenses than the 5D MKII for the same relative amount of detail in a scene. The 7D is a crop sensor meaning that super-wide-angle lenses need to be lenses designed for crop imagers, i.e. Canon EF-S variety or third-party crop lenses. The higher photosite density also means the the 7D requires more light/lower ISO (potentially longer exposure times) to achieve similar levels of random sensor noise to the 5D MKII.

The 7D has 2 - image processors allowing for faster AF and faster image processing, accounting for much of the higher frames-per-second capability. (A more advanced mirror box assembly is the other major component to allow the faster frame rate.) For sports and action photography only the 1D series cameras are faster in the Canon lineup.

The 5D MKII allows more finite control over DOF, but both formats allow good control over DOF.

The practical difference between the 18 MPixels of the 7D versus the 21 MPixels of the 5D MKII is negligible regarding detail. Lens choice, subject matter, lighting and post-processing have a much greater impact on scene detail and the ability to print large.

The 7D is more designed towards sports/action photography while the 5D MKII is more designed for portraiture, landscapes and fine art photography. There is, of course, some overlap in actual use and either camera "can" be used for image categories outside the primary design use.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    What Ziggy said

And that's it in a nutshell!clap.gif
  • Options
    oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    A Canon 7D has a higher photosite density which means that it is more demanding of lenses than the 5D MKII for the same relative amount of detail in a scene. The 7D is a crop sensor meaning that super-wide-angle lenses need to be lenses designed for crop imagers, i.e. Canon EF-S variety or third-party crop lenses. The higher photosite density also means the the 7D requires more light/lower ISO (potentially longer exposure times) to achieve similar levels of random sensor noise to the 5D MKII.

The 7D has 2 - image processors allowing for faster AF and faster image processing, accounting for much of the higher frames-per-second capability. (A more advanced mirror box assembly is the other major component to allow the faster frame rate.) For sports and action photography only the 1D series cameras are faster in the Canon lineup.

The 5D MKII allows more finite control over DOF, but both formats allow good control over DOF.

The practical difference between the 18 MPixels of the 7D versus the 21 MPixels of the 5D MKII is negligible regarding detail. Lens choice, subject matter, lighting and post-processing have a much greater impact on scene detail and the ability to print large.

The 7D is more designed towards sports/action photography while the 5D MKII is more designed for portraiture, landscapes and fine art photography. There is, of course, some overlap in actual use and either camera "can" be used for image categories outside the primary design use.

Well thats that sorted. Thanks Ziggy 53.

Regards
    Patrick.