Options

How To Trap A Rabbit

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited May 22, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Well, I'm not sure about actually trapping a rabbit, but I can guarantee you that this thing was instrumental in gathering up more sweet, little bunnies than you could probably count. This was Hugh Hefner's personal ride for a long time. Of all the Mercedes-Benz 600 limousines owned by famous people, I dare say this one saw more excitement than all the rest put together.

Amelia-2011-1-341-X2.jpg

Amelia-2011-1-348-X2.jpg

The Mercedes-Benz 600 is, in many quarters, considered the epitome of limousine design and manufacture. First introduced in 1964, The 600 ascended to the highest ranking among those fortunate enough to be able to buy one. This one here, below, is a 1965 model built especially for Pope Paul VI. It is one of the very few built as a partial convertible.....referred to as a Landaulet model. This car served the Vatican for over two decades and three Popes.

Amelia-2011-1-123-X2.jpg

Amelia-2011-1-120-X2.jpg

The 600 came in basically 2 size variants. A long wheel base model ( LWB ) and a short wheel base model ( SWB ). The LWB cars were almost always built as a limousine type, with a divider separating the driver and the passengers. The SWB models were intended for those owners who preferred to do their own driving. These cars had a very complicated ( read expensive ) hydraulic system that powered most of the options, as well as the air suspension set-up. The car here is a 1972 SWB model that is as finely restored as any I've ever seen. Production of this magnificent car ceased in 1981.

Amelia-2011-1-355-X2.jpg

Amelia-2011-1-357-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    Sweet! Great history behind the Benzs'. My family has one of each of the modern c,e, and s classes in our fleet. thumb.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    Can't trap a willing rabbit. Some bunnies even send themselves to jail :D
    I wonder if the chauffeur for Huge checked ID's to ensure the overall safety of his client. Would that be thoughtful or just asking to lose your
    job?

I'm given to wonder Tom why the pope vehicle wasn't white. A curious
    thing to me. Power over purity in color selection. I'm sure there was some
    wisdom to the magic in that choice. Hmmm headscratch.gifmwink.gif Am sure red was out
    from the start.
    Michael
  • Options
    jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    I knew there would be some catch regarding your title, Tom. rolleyes1.gif That is one fine piece of limousine if I may say, and one that has seen much bunnies for sure. :Dthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2011
    SamirD wrote: »
    Sweet! Great history behind the Benzs'. My family has one of each of the modern c,e, and s classes in our fleet. thumb.gif

Thanks for looking in.

I once rode in one of these great machines. Unfortunately, at the time it was in pretty ragged shape. A friend had purchased it with the idea of doing a complete restoration. The expense of doing so got so out of hand ( each one of the 600's was essentially a custom-made car....finding parts became a nightmare, and very expensive) that he had to sell the car and move on to something more affordable.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2011
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Can't trap a willing rabbit. Some bunnies even send themselves to jail :D
    I wonder if the chauffeur for Huge checked ID's to ensure the overall safety of his client. Would that be thoughtful or just asking to lose your
    job?

I'm given to wonder Tom why the pope vehicle wasn't white. A curious
    thing to me. Power over purity in color selection. I'm sure there was some
    wisdom to the magic in that choice. Hmmm headscratch.gifmwink.gif Am sure red was out
    from the start.

That's an interesting postulation about the color selection made by the Vatican....going with black. What research I've been able to do indicates that very few 600's left the factory painted white. The car is, as you see, a large vehicle to start with. Light colors would make it appear even larger. I suspect that many folks chose a darker color to downplay the size of their indulgence....and help reduce the seemingly ostentatious nature of their ride.

Take care buddy,

Tom
  • Options
    MammaPaparazzaMammaPaparazza Registered Users Posts: 221 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    Did ya get any close up's on the rims? love those shots!
    Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively. - Dalai Lama XIV
    It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2011
    Did ya get any close up's on the rims? love those shots!

Thanks for the comment.

In this case, I didn't get a close-up shot of the wheels. I see them as a reflection of the overall visual character of the car....simple, under-stated, yet very elegant.
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    lol - for some odd reason I knew there wasn't gonna be an Easter Bunny in the photos... but I was thinking VW Rabbit....

When the local Lions Club here drove cars thru the Kruse Auction block (now RM Auctions America) I drove a 196? Mercedes Limo. The owner came up and said, "Know how to start this?" I just shook my head no. "Well, you turn this key here, and you.... and then you.... and then....", that's what I heard.

When I got the car up on the turn table, Dean Kruse was telling me to "turn the car off". I didn't, then one of the callers came over and told me, "I have noooo clue how to start it back up" but I did as they said and turned it off. When time to drive off, Dean was shouting, "Drive the car out!" It didn't go... he made me turn it off.... I was pushed off and out of the building.

Thanks for the photos and reviving some memories (mid 1990's).
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2011
    Wow, your experience reminds me of when I see a Model T or some other truly antique car and see all the knobs, levers, and switches and think to myself, "I have no idea how to drive this" rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    MammaPaparazzaMammaPaparazza Registered Users Posts: 221 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    I know what you mean...but I love to see the center of the hub caps when there is a reflection of the sun bouncing off it...I can see it in the very first picture...just always loved that.
    Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively. - Dalai Lama XIV
    It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2011
    That's an interesting postulation about the color selection made by the Vatican....going with black. What research I've been able to do indicates that very few 600's left the factory painted white. The car is, as you see, a large vehicle to start with. Light colors would make it appear even larger. I suspect that many folks chose a darker color to downplay the size of their indulgence....and help reduce the seemingly ostentatious nature of their ride.

Take care buddy,

Tom
    Thanks for offering this follow up Tom and the little treasure in it thumb.gif
    Michael
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2011
    Wonderful stuff, Tom! A coworker in Germany bought a Mercedes to restore and I got to drive it to his house (while he drove his other one). That was my one and only time in a Mercedes Benz. I have no idea what model his were--the event took place in 1988. His looked nothing like these, they were much smaller but still 4-door. I really enjoyed these shots and all the info about them!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    Wonderful stuff, Tom! A coworker in Germany bought a Mercedes to restore and I got to drive it to his house (while he drove his other one). That was my one and only time in a Mercedes Benz. I have no idea what model his were--the event took place in 1988. His looked nothing like these, they were much smaller but still 4-door. I really enjoyed these shots and all the info about them!

Lauren

Good to hear from you, Lauren. I trust that you and your new camera are becoming good buddies about now.

I was always a BMW guy, owned 5 of them over the years....never was attracted to any of the Mercedes cars. I have to admit, though, that some of those Mercedes AMG variants of recent years do appeal to me. There's one big downside to these cars.....BMW or Mercedes, or others of this class: when they need heavy service and are out of warranty, you'd best be prepared to bend over.

See you,

Tom
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    Expensive repairs . . . that's why I drive a Chevy truck. :D
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2011
    There's one big downside to these cars.....BMW or Mercedes, or others of this class: when they need heavy service and are out of warranty, you'd best be prepared to bend over.
    It's more true for the German variants in the class than others like Lexus. And let's not forget how much of a pain Volkswagon and Audi products are.

A good friend of mine is a Ferrari, Aston Martin, Maserati, Porsche, GM, and Toyota certified tech as well as an ASE master technician. His experience with how labor intensive even some simple maintenance is on the VW/Audi products steers him completely clear of owning these.