Options

MC #12 - Biological Warfare, Past Its Prime

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
edited May 20, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dodged the raindrops and took a few quick shots late in the day. If either of these ideas hold promise, I'll go back with macro lens and tripod in hand to work on getting better images. Please be frank if they miss the mark conceptually (as well as needing better execution). I have some other ideas. Many thanks!

1. Biological Warfare
i-GcrC9ZP-S.jpg

2. When Opportunity Knocks (aka another instance of biological warfare)
i-Vf5KsHt-S.jpg

3. Past Its Prime
i-ZvqcZPQ-S.jpg

4. Dark Edit of Past Its Prime
i-9L6nJMV-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    Of the first two, I kinda like the second better. They're both really nice shots - love the colors & DOF. Theme-wise, to me, they seem more about new life emerging as a result of the weathering, rather than the weathering itself - not sure if that matters.

I really like the second two - nice comp! & I'm sure I'll be in the minority, but I like the processing "accident" - I'm sure most people will think it's too dark, so maybe adding back in a little of the original might give it more mass appeal. Good title too!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2011
    lkbart wrote: »
    Of the first two, I kinda like the second better. They're both really nice shots - love the colors & DOF. Theme-wise, to me, they seem more about new life emerging as a result of the weathering, rather than the weathering itself - not sure if that matters.

I really like the second two - nice comp! & I'm sure I'll be in the minority, but I like the processing "accident" - I'm sure most people will think it's too dark, so maybe adding back in a little of the original might give it more mass appeal. Good title too!

Thanks for your input, Lillian. Here is a compromise between #3 and #4....

5. Past Its Prime - another edit
    i-mPCHvG4-M.jpg
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    I really like the edit - nice compromise - kept the darkness but brought back the detail!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2011
    lkbart wrote: »
    I really like the edit - nice compromise - kept the darkness but brought back the detail!

Thanks. Got out again this morning but got caught in another deluge. Will see what I got.

As for the first two shots - aka Biological Warfare - I wasn't sure whether biological weathering would strike folks as weathering or not, especially when the moss, etc. are on a tree rather than a roof or fence. It *feels* like "biological warfare" to me because it is growing on the flowering pink dogwood which held such lovely blossoms (or leaf bracts, to be exact) just a few weeks ago!
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    I really like moss and lichen, but it doesn't say weathered, withered, or worn to me. I have been told that the presence of lichen indicate a healthy forest. And I heard a story on our public radio station about the Olympic rain forest. Some of the branches high up in the tree put down roots in the moss on the branches.

The last is definitely withered. I think I'd like it better with sharper focus on the center of the flower. It looks like the sharpest focus is on the leaves now.
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2011
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    I really like moss and lichen, but it doesn't say weathered, withered, or worn to me....
    The last is definitely withered. I think I'd like it better with sharper focus on the center of the flower.

Thanks for your helpful input! I understand why the moss won't work for this and am focusing on other ideas. Every time I went outside today, it started to rain again. But I did get a few more shots of the mountain bluet with the macro lens and tripod.... Have two ready to post for C & C.

6. Past Its Prime
    i-dWg4X5v-L.jpg

7. Spent
    i-Mbggdtx-L.jpg

8. Medusa
    i-HFvzLKJ-L.jpg