Options

Some Moto Trials and 1st shots with new lens

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited May 22, 2011 in Sports
Upgraded to/ testing a 70-200 VRII. First impressions are that it is REALLY sharp, but this is only if it is locked on. Seemed to acquire a solid lock slightly slower than my 80-200AFS or 17-55, but as Ziggy said, VR slows it down a bit. But I think the VR is what makes this lens so ridiculously sharp. So I need to get used to it, and adjust my timing slightly. This is the first time I have shot trials with the D3s too. It makes the longer lens usable, where on a DX sensor it was almost always way too long.

Here are a few that I really like. All of these are at 2.8

RedCreek-157-2-X2.jpg

RedCreek-247-X2.jpg

RedCreek-187-2-X2.jpg

RedCreek-033-2-X2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    Zerodog wrote: »
    Upgraded to/ testing a 70-200 VRII. First impressions are that it is REALLY sharp, but this is only if it is locked on. Seemed to acquire a solid lock slightly slower than my 80-200AFS or 17-55, but as Ziggy said, VR slows it down a bit. But I think the VR is what makes this lens so ridiculously sharp. So I need to get used to it, and adjust my timing.

Actually, you should turn the VR off. Simply no need for it shooting daytime motorsports, since your shutter speeds are high enough.

You'll get better results with it off, and shooting like you're used to(and letting the focus work at its optimum), instead of trying to adjust your timing to accomodate, a 'tool'.

Also, just because you can shoot at f2.8, doesn't mean you should always shoot at f2.8. :D

My .02

:D
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    nipprdog wrote: »
    Actually, you should turn the VR off. Simply no need for it shooting daytime motorsports, since your shutter speeds are high enough.

You'll get better results with it off, and shooting like you're used to(and letting the focus work at its optimum), instead of trying to adjust your timing to accomodate, a 'tool'.

Also, just because you can shoot at f2.8, doesn't mean you should always shoot at f2.8. :D

My .02

:D

I completely agree with you on all of this. But I am testing this lens and its abilities against my trusted 80-200. 2.8 lets me see how well the lens is tracking. And for these shots, it was really the look I wanted too. I left the VR on to see how much it slows the lens down or if it makes any difference at all. As far as if it makes a difference? Maybe.
  • Options
    jimqjrjimqjr Registered Users Posts: 250 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    I think the photos look great. I find that shooting in 2.8 tells the story a little better most of the time.
  • Options
    kurtwkurtw Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    Wow, I really love these. The first two are my favorites! Especially #2. Really good one there.