Options

Folk Music in West Viginia

ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
edited September 10, 2005 in Holy Macro
Anuall festival I try and attend every year. Normally, as a part of the audio crew. This year work didn't permit, so I buzzed up on monday for at least a little time spent. Not a bad way to spend 6 hours on a bike, no sir. :wink

35151154-Ti.jpg

I got there at 12:30am or so monday morning, I worked all day sunday and left at like 6pm or so. Promptly took many pictures in the fog of night.

Bridge walkway to parking area (uh, big big field)
35151069-M.jpg

That's a light in the parking field. Neato reflection.
35151070-L.jpg

Corn, in creepy light.
35151071-M.jpg

A lake near where I stayed. No level changing at all in ps, how cool is that??? A porch light did the red, and the parking lights brought the blueish colors in, exif is 15s at f4.0
35151075-L.jpg

Not sure what it is, but, pretty cool at night.
35151077-L.jpg

In front of same big building:
35151078-M.jpg

So, after that I went to bed! Up the next morning, they had an exhibit with steam engines and farm impliments running.....

Except for this one. The little boy very proudly proclaimed "I'm fix'n it!" :rofl
35151081-M.jpg
I believed him too. :thumb

Steam. Cool, eh? Something like 1/6th to show motion....
35151113-M.jpg

Working on it;
35151114-M.jpg

And now, some musicians. The light was terrible in the barn they played in, so, the photo's are presented in same the manor the performances were. Unapolageticlly. :):

35151115-M.jpg

It was sort of an organized open mic deal.....
35151116-M.jpg

the songs and performances were hearfelt and genuine
35151119-M.jpg

and skillfull. Wow.
35151120-M.jpg

This man was incredible, as were many, many of the others. Such an urgency to his playing - you can really see it in his face.
35151141-M.jpg

This emcee could NOT be beat. What a cool cat. :thumb
35151123-M.jpg

I could have listened to this man sing all day. Was very soft spoken, and very quiet, but he really understood how to draw a listener in.
35151128-M.jpg

A group effort....
35151145-M.jpg

a wonderfull fiddle player. (ain't no violens in 'folk' :D)
35151150-M.jpg

the bass player was in like half the bands, so it got to be a running joke after a bit. Boy, that man could play. I don't understand how his fingers weren't bleeding by the end of the day, though.
35151151-M.jpg

And finnaly, a shot that sums up the goodbyes at the end of this event. It's a special gathering to many many people, with many relunctant goodbyes.
35151139-L.jpg

Thanks for joining me - hope it wasn't boring! :uhoh
Chris
"There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg

Comments

• Options
    WaterfallRichWaterfallRich Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    Nice series!
    Thanks for posting those. I really liked the last one.
  • Options
    ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2005
    Thanks for posting those. I really liked the last one.
    Thanks Rich.
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg