Options

Any thoughts on this from engagement session?

kevingearykevingeary Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
edited May 23, 2011 in Weddings
I've never really done the sun flare thing. Do you think I was successful?

i-gjT8MwR-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    WarpedWarped Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited May 23, 2011
    Did the couple like the shots?
    If yes - you were successful :)
    If at first you don't succeed - maybe sky diving isn't for you.
    www.warped-photography.com
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2011
    Warped wrote: »
    Did the couple like the shots?
    If yes - you were successful :)

What do you think about the shot? Obviously there are a lot more, but I wanted an opinion on this one. My wife said she doesn't care for it.

My main concern was their attire for the shoot. The guy wore cargo shorts and an old striped polo. I think I'm going to have to help dictate outfits in the future if I continue to do this kind of work (I'd much rather shoot commercial).
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2011
    Yup, give clothing guidelines. You can't always get them to follow what you've suggested (and you'd be AMAZED at the variety of interpretations a statement like "no large patterns" can invoke!!), but at least you can get them closer. I usually suggest they coordinate/complement rather than "match" (ugh!), stick with no patterns, avoid white and bring a couple of accessories which can be thrown on/taken off to "vary things" (although it also means that you have some alternatives if you need to hide a hideous shirt, or tone down a too-loud jacket :D)

I like the light/processing, but I'm not convinced by the tilt - it's a bit too extreme for me. What happens with a different crop/tilt? It coudl even work in portrait orientation if necessary.

Totally OT but whatever happened with that 50mm lens that was frustrating you so much - did you get it sorted out?
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2011
    Hi Kevin! I moved this over to 'weddings' for you; You were absolutely right by putting it in 'people' since there are definitely people in this shot. However we have sort of an unwritten rule that we put everything that has to do with weddings (like engagement, etc) in the wedding forum thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    Yup, give clothing guidelines. You can't always get them to follow what you've suggested (and you'd be AMAZED at the variety of interpretations a statement like "no large patterns" can invoke!!), but at least you can get them closer. I usually suggest they coordinate/complement rather than "match" (ugh!), stick with no patterns, avoid white and bring a couple of accessories which can be thrown on/taken off to "vary things" (although it also means that you have some alternatives if you need to hide a hideous shirt, or tone down a too-loud jacket :D)

I like the light/processing, but I'm not convinced by the tilt - it's a bit too extreme for me. What happens with a different crop/tilt? It coudl even work in portrait orientation if necessary.

Totally OT but whatever happened with that 50mm lens that was frustrating you so much - did you get it sorted out?

It's highly unreliable wide open and I have a 17-55 2.8 IS that is sharper and covers the same range. I use it for object shots, but rarely for people now.
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2011
    Hey Kevin. Flare worked but I'm not crazy about the comp myself. I agree the tilt isn't complimentary here, but I also would like to see some of the couple's expression and I don't like the upshot angle with his beard and 2nd chin. Not an aweful shot mind you and assumably one of many from this spot.

Flare is a funny beast but it isn't some magical thing that shows up after the shot. Well... usually! The point is you can see it through the view finder and you can manipulate it. You can pull prismatic sunspots or you can use it to soften the image like you did here. Sometimes you can even manipulate it so it's not dominating the frame, but highlighting the subject. This shows how you can use the flare to envelop the subject. Certainly the actual angle of the sun, my camera/lens, and the shade from the barn all had something to do with the image but I placed the flare in the comp the way I wanted it in this one.
    1130645465_knhwT-XL.jpg

In this second one I used a touch of flash. Seems to me that I took out a bit of contrast in PP also.
    1112534464_B2GhB-L.jpg

A couple more for good measure.

1122928027_tCpj9-L-1.jpg

Another crappy polo shirt!
    988393207_VKb8Y-L-1.jpg

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes