Options

Vermont Wedding - C&C Welcome!

ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
edited May 30, 2011 in Weddings
This is my second full year doing weddings and I'm loving it so far! I've had two weddings with more scheduled later this summer and I couldn't be more thrilled. I feel like I'm learning and growing (thanks, in huge part, to so many excellent dgrinners) and would love some C&C! My motto: you can always get better!

Thanks!

1. The bride helping her little sister to put on her shoes.
i-6gRkP9H-M.jpg

2. Classic kiss shot.
i-8vfFSFB-M.jpg

3. Their 2 year old yellow lab, Lilly, was the ring bearer! So cute!
i-NP58PR4-M.jpg

4. It was my first rainy wedding! But the rain made the colors really pop.
i-tzvgD4z-M.jpg

5. He definitely didn't want to let go of his new bride!
i-4RSJcPX-M.jpg

6. And a ring shot -the rings are being held by the groom's grandfather - a 90 year old "traditional' HILARIOUS Vermonter. He's a farmer and builds carriages for fun so his hands were really characters in and of themselves!
i-2vMmG79-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2011
    Wow - 4 days, 126 views, and no comments. Nice.
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2011
    I feel the same way, Randi.

As for your photos, I REALLY like #6. I love the story it tells and that it's not the "typical" ring shot. I think your post does a good job enhancing the story by showing off the hand work that his hands have done.

I like #4 a lot, but the details on the dress (if there are any) are blown to me. Can you try to recover it a bit?
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2011
    Here's my general thoughts and ideas...

1. It looks as if it was a horizontal picture that you recropped to a vertical. In other words, this would look much better in landscape orientation. Why not include the rest of each girl? Why include so much carpet?

2. Classic traditional shot as you said... not original, not mind blowing, not something that sets you apart from everyone else.

3. Good shot for the couple. Next time, try not to cut of limbs/joints (groom's knee).

4. If I were to take a shot like this, I would get down a little lower. You would end up placing the couples head up in the clear sky instead of cutting their heads off with the tree line.

5. Good moment, I would probably crop in tighter to get rid of the onlookers in the background - they don't really add anything, but they take away from a personal moment.

6. Great idea. I'd like to see the rest of his hand. Again, try not to cut off limbs at joints.

I feel as if you have figured out how to make the camera do what you want it to do, but are lacking the creativity here to come up with some mind blowing stuff. In short: Push yourself. Experiment and try new things all the time. Some will work and some won't. Some will work big time. Best of all you will learn really quickly from your mistakes and find your groove.
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2011
    Here's my general thoughts and ideas...

1. It looks as if it was a horizontal picture that you recropped to a vertical. In other words, this would look much better in landscape orientation. Why not include the rest of each girl? Why include so much carpet?

2. Classic traditional shot as you said... not original, not mind blowing, not something that sets you apart from everyone else.

3. Good shot for the couple. Next time, try not to cut of limbs/joints (groom's knee).

4. If I were to take a shot like this, I would get down a little lower. You would end up placing the couples head up in the clear sky instead of cutting their heads off with the tree line.

5. Good moment, I would probably crop in tighter to get rid of the onlookers in the background - they don't really add anything, but they take away from a personal moment.

6. Great idea. I'd like to see the rest of his hand. Again, try not to cut off limbs at joints.

I feel as if you have figured out how to make the camera do what you want it to do, but are lacking the creativity here to come up with some mind blowing stuff. In short: Push yourself. Experiment and try new things all the time. Some will work and some won't. Some will work big time. Best of all you will learn really quickly from your mistakes and find your groove.

This is all good advice! thumb.gif I will add to his last comment though. Get your subjects out of the center of the frame and start composing images instead of just getting the subject in the frame!

Is your camera a 10, or 12 megapixel camera? I assume it is and likely more, so don't be afraid to crop into your shots! Shoot wider because you can't ad more to the comp. Not necessarily every shot, but shoot wider sometimes so you have more to work with in post. After you go through and crop the same image down a bunch of times to see what you like best, you will start seeing your images that way in the viewfinder.

Find out how to adjust your focal point and get proficient at picking the focal point without moving the camera from your eye. With Canon, except the rebel line, you can designate the little joystick on the back to adjust the focal point. Focusing and then recomposing works very well too unless you are shooting a razor thin DOF and/or your subject is moving.

I love how you used the hand in the ring shot, but you weren't photographing the hand like you should have been. I mean to say the hand should be the primary subject in this shot, but you were obviously fully focused on the ring since the hand is chopped off in spots.
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    some good pointers given already. They are for the most part cleanly framed (no background clutter), in focus, well exposed and decently processed..which is no small thing. None of them make me pause to look over though. Some general advice ... shoot WIDER and CLOSER! Shoot LOW and HIGH! Frame things from viewpoints that one might not expect. Most of the shots you try this way will not work..but a few will. No one has to see the rejects. My one specific comment is the vignette in 4 is too obvious.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    I like 3 and 6 the best in your set. The dog looks so well behaved for that shot!