Options

Lisa and Tim -- Engagement Session

zoomnzoomn Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
edited May 26, 2011 in Weddings
Here are a few from an engagement session I did recently. They are a great couple whose wedding I'll be shooting in August. C&C greatly appreciated and valued!

untitled-82-Edit-L.jpg

untitled-66-Edit-Edit-Edit-L.jpg

Lisa-andTim9703-L.jpg

Lisa-andTim9725wd-L.jpg

Lisa-andTim9716-L.jpg

Lisa-andTim9734frmclr-L.jpg

Lisa-andTim9747-L.jpg

untitled-106-Edit-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited May 26, 2011
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    1-5 It might just be me, but they look really "hot" to me. It might just be my screen, but they seem overly shifted to the red over the other photos in the set.

I think 7 might be my favorite from this set.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    Hey dude,

The first two looks like they were hit with a lot of sun.

#3, the half of flowers and half of the two kissing makes it a little ambivalent of an image. Especially with the background making it look exactly like a park. What could help with this one is a different angle. It looks like you were pretty much on their same level on the ground.

#6, Not too fond of the picture background of the picture, but that's my opinion.

They do look like a fairly open couple, so when the wedding does come around, explore with different perspectives and angles.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    Hello - ok, i'll offer some c&c since you asked...

#2 looks like too much sun in the face - he, in particular, is squinting and doesn't look comfortable.

In several of the photos, there are other humans visible in the background. You need to be very aware of this when shooting, especially an engagement session or portraiture of any kind, otherwise you are wasting the frame (and more importantly, their time). If the setting is too populated, that's when you need to get creative: Get high, get low, reposition, wait, or move elsewhere.

In #1 and #4 that human appears to be you... in the form of a large scary shadow on the tree trunk. Check out #1, it looks like a masked-murderer silently approaching an unaware couple. :) I'm exaggerating here, but I think you'll see what I mean.

The few against the tree are also a bit overly-saturated, and I typically like saturation. The greens in particular look unreal.

The horizons do not appear level in #1 and 4 (even more so). If you go with not-level horizons, you usually need to go much further into the artistic/creative zone. Being just a bit off looks like a mistake/oversight.

For #6, I agree with Moogle, lose the border. It's not working, especially with part of his head floating above his actual head.

I hope I'm not being too harsh...just wanted to point out what *I think* are some areas for improvement.
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• Options
    edited May 26, 2011
    Thanks so much everyone for your replies. I truly appreciate it. Not too harsh at all - constructive and helpful, exactly what I was hoping for!