Options

Keywords not getting added

wolf911wolf911 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
edited June 1, 2011 in SmugMug Support
http://wolf911.smugmug.com/Photography/365

I started a 365 project and want the keyword 365 to be there, but I am really struggling to get them to take. I click on add and type in 365 and click save, doesn't appear/display below photo or appear in search, click edit, it's there, click save, it's not there, click edit, it's there, click save, it appears. :scratch

That was yesterday as I added my 9 of 365 day pics, now tonight I add my 10th pic and I can't get the keyword to take at all, click add than save, nothing, click edit it's there.

I usually use Google Chrome for browser and I even tried it in Mozilla Firefox on Win7, same issue. I am trying to keyword this one right now - http://wolf911.smugmug.com/Photography/365/17180067_XPB2DQ#1308904451_ZBnSzzk

No problems with the descriptions, just keywords.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    stay tuned, we're bring all services up slowly, and keyword indexing will again be fast soon.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    I had this problem other day. Under main photo add KW to blank list and
    clicking save, no keyword shows. Edit > KW's there > save > no KW shows.
    Took many refreshes for it to eventually show.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    photohawkphotohawk Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 27, 2011
    Keyword Indexing Update
    Andy wrote: »
    stay tuned, we're bring all services up slowly, and keyword indexing will again be fast soon.

Is there any sort of expected timeline on this particular functionality? I just posted nearly 1,000 images for an audience of 800 participants/volunteers early this morning and it seems that my keywords are all over the board. On some images, the participant race numbers have completely disappeared while other metadata such as the race title and participant full name still appear to be there, however, I cannot at this point even guarantee the full name is correct as I have now found other images where the participant race number does still appear in the keyword but is clearly incorrect and does not currently match the original image metadata within my adobe lightroom (which is actually making a bad situation even worse). If this were holding up sales on a wedding album or senior photo, I might be able to work something out with my clients but for sports and/or event photography where I don't really have those personal relationships already built up, I have now gone from quickly selling (2) images within 5 minutes of enabling this gallery to what has now been 11 hours of missed sales with many of the racers quite likely to have already lost complete interest now that we have reached Memorial Weekend here in the states.

Examples:
    http://www.iowasportspictures.com/Sports/Road-Races/maf-5k/17176398_t9gbDL#1305390398_2zXpnmq

Original keyword in LR:
    5k, 710, 2011, Arts Festival, Marion Arts Festival 5k Run, runners

Currently keywords displayed in SM:
    2011, 5k, Arts Festival, Marion Arts Festival 5k Run, runners, Arts, Festival, 244

http://www.iowasportspictures.com/Sports/Road-Races/maf-5k/17176398_t9gbDL#1302222984_FPSBdm8

Original keywords in LR:
    53, 388, 645, 711, 715, 2011, Alice Anderson, Erin Moeller, Jerry Lack, Marion Arts Festival 5k Run, Phil Young, Tyler Sullivan

Current keywords displayed in SM:
    2011, Alice Anderson, Erin Moeller, Jerry Lack, Marion Arts Festival 5k Run, Phil Young, Tyler Sullivan,

Photohawk
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2011
    photohawk wrote: »
    Is there any sort of expected timeline on this particular functionality? I just posted nearly 1,000 images for an audience of 800 participants/volunteers early this morning and it seems that my keywords are all over the board. On some images, the participant race numbers have completely disappeared while other metadata such as the race title and participant full name still appear to be there, however, I cannot at this point even guarantee the full name is correct as I have now found other images where the participant race number does still appear in the keyword but is clearly incorrect and does not currently match the original image metadata within my adobe lightroom (which is actually making a bad situation even worse). If this were holding up sales on a wedding album or senior photo, I might be able to work something out with my clients but for sports and/or event photography where I don't really have those personal relationships already built up, I have now gone from quickly selling (2) images within 5 minutes of enabling this gallery to what has now been 11 hours of missed sales with many of the racers quite likely to have already lost complete interest now that we have reached Memorial Weekend here in the states.

Examples:
    http://www.iowasportspictures.com/Sports/Road-Races/maf-5k/17176398_t9gbDL#1305390398_2zXpnmq

Original keyword in LR:
    5k, 710, 2011, Arts Festival, Marion Arts Festival 5k Run, runners

Currently keywords displayed in SM:
    2011, 5k, Arts Festival, Marion Arts Festival 5k Run, runners, Arts, Festival, 244

http://www.iowasportspictures.com/Sports/Road-Races/maf-5k/17176398_t9gbDL#1302222984_FPSBdm8

Original keywords in LR:
    53, 388, 645, 711, 715, 2011, Alice Anderson, Erin Moeller, Jerry Lack, Marion Arts Festival 5k Run, Phil Young, Tyler Sullivan

2011, Alice Anderson, Erin Moeller, Jerry Lack, Marion Arts Festival 5k Run, Phil Young, Tyler Sullivan,

Photohawk
    These look to be indexed - let us know if there's trouble still?
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    These look to be indexed - let us know if there's trouble still?

Andy,

The files did appear to be indexed, however, the issue I was having was that they were not accurately indexed as the keywords were not matching up consistently between the tagged images in my local adobe lightroom and the tags that showed up under each image within the smugmug gallery plus the search was (and is still) not consistently picking up the keywords.

As of 3am CT there were still issues so I actually created a brand new gallery and kicked off the process to re-upload the same set of files which seems to have helped but still not completely fixed the issue. If you go to the new gallery using the link below and try search terms of '53' vs '106' you can see the race number alone is still not returning results for one but does for the other even though 'bowerman' works just fine to return the correct images for Participant #53. Additionally, it looks like part of the image file name is getting parsed and added to keyword which continues to lead to confusion as the race sponsor feels things are still not correctly being tagged since a search for '106' returns an image of Participant #324 (which happens to have a physical file name of 5k-arts_festival-106.jpg)

http://www.iowasportspictures.com/Sports/Road-Races/MAF5K/17247563_VFgQRD#1309279277_RwcBxPr

Photohawk
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 27, 2011
    Photohawk,

Search results have not been returning 1 and 2 character numbers for quite a while. That is part of the issue you are having with the results. They are indexing but the searches just do not return them. I filed a bug on this and it is in the hands of the programmers. A workaround that I have been recommending is to use something unique like MAF5K53 so that it is longer than 3 characters and helps if you shoot more than one event as the numbers end up getting reused.

You do have filename key wording turned on in your Control Panel -Settings tab. That is why the filename was parsed.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2011
    docwalker wrote: »
    Photohawk,

Search results have not been returning 1 and 2 character numbers for quite a while. That is part of the issue you are having with the results. They are indexing but the searches just do not return them. I filed a bug on this and it is in the hands of the programmers. A workaround that I have been recommending is to use something unique like MAF5K53 so that it is longer than 3 characters and helps if you shoot more than one event as the numbers end up getting reused.

You do have file name key wording turned on in your Control Panel -Settings tab. That is why the file name was parsed.

Thanks for the quick reply. I had never noticed the site-wide file name keyword option within Control Panel but I found it easy enough and have now disabled. As for the 3-letter limitation, I can certainly understand the reasoning behind that as well and now that I know I will follow your advice going forward as I was having a rather similar discussion on the pros/cons of tagging racer participants solely by bib number with a colleague of mine just the other day. It certainly makes tagging in general a whole lot quicker but if the search scope is not targeted explicitly at a given event, it could also lead to a whole lot of confusion which can hopefully be eliminated using your approach of "eventID" + "participantID".

Now if I can just find a bulk edit tool for Event Notifications to help let the participants know so I am not keying in 800+ individual user/email combinations which then must also be sent individually since there is currently no BCC option (unless it is something else I have missed elsewhere).
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2011
    hmmmmmm, holding on, but problem still exists
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2011
    yea, tonight it didn't go any better, had to click edit and save several times.

Dear Smugmug, I am seriously considering a pro account, but I have concerns with the recent issues of uploading and now this. What is smugmug doing to convince me to expanded to a pro account. I love smugmug, but this stuff isn't what I want to deal with.
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2011
    wolf911 wrote: »
    yea, tonight it didn't go any better, had to click edit and save several times.

Dear Smugmug, I am seriously considering a pro account, but I have concerns with the recent issues of uploading and now this. What is smugmug doing to convince me to expanded to a pro account. I love smugmug, but this stuff isn't what I want to deal with.

Hey Kelly, I've replied to your ticket from the help desk - we'll carry on there. Thanks!
  • Options
    yobobyobob Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2011
    Same problem here, pro account. Have to click save like 4 times in order for it to work.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2011
    KJS, after clicking on add and entering your keywords, there may not be an indication that a keyword was added, but if you clicked 'save' after entering it, it'll be in the queue and will be updated. Just give it some time as the keyword will need to index. There isn't any indication that it's indexing, but since it's showing up when you edit or click add again, you can be assured that we have it.
    I've reported the display issue that no "indexing" is showing the first time you add a keyword. That's just a display issue and once the keyword is indexed, it'll show up (if you haven't navigated away, you'll need to refresh the page in your browser to see a possible update)

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2011
    photohawk wrote: »
    Original keywords in LR:

Photohawk

I looked at that file (which is deleted) and see that your initial upload of it on May 22 only contained these keywords in the IPTC keywords field:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/283274/sc4/20110529172854-00068x5417228.jpg

You then replaced that version on May 26 with a version also containing the numbers in the IPTC keywords:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/283274/sc4/20110529173100-00069x0017231.jpg

The issue is that replacing a file on SmugMug doesn't make us re-import the IPTC caption / keywords. So any metadata changes you make don't transfer over to SmugMug. Only on the initial upload, we do import that information.

I did a test upload of your replacement file and uploaded fresh, all your keywords are imported just fine:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/283274/sc4/20110529173359-00070x5917233.jpg
    (ignore the long image ID at the end as this was due to the internal filename used in my testing)

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2011
    Tonight I tried and just waited a bit and the keyword came through, woot!
  • Options
    RedFish71`RedFish71` Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    i got the same as yobob. had to hit save 3-6 times to get it to save.