Options

Feast Your Eyes On This Beauty

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited June 3, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Man, this is one stunning automobile. I sure regret that the days of having cars with this kind of character are long gone.

You're looking at a 1930 Duesenberg J-243 Dual Cowl Phaeton. The term " Dual Cowl " referred to those models that had two separate passenger compartments. Almost all J model Duesenbergs were sold as a completed chassis, with the body and interior appointments being supplied by an outside custom coach builder.....a couple of which, at the time, were LeBaron, and Murphy & Derham. This particular car was handled by LeBaron.

Regardless of who might have been the finishing coach builder, the chief designer of Duesenberg.....Gordon Buchrig....would mandate such features as the hood, lights, radiator and bumper. On many occasions, Duesenberg itself would acquire several coach builder bodies and sell the customer a completed car of their own doing.

The defining feature to all of the J models produced was the fantastic engine that was the brain child of Fred Duesenberg himself. At 265 HP, it was head and shoulders above the output of any competitor's engines....the closest to it in power was an engine that went into some Pierce-Arrow cars, at only 115 HP. These Duesenbergs ruled the road.

Amelia-2011-1-177-X2.jpg

Amelia-2011-1-174-X2.jpg

Amelia-2011-1-181-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    The cars are spectacular and you do a great job of isolating them from the cluttered environment. Your title also did a great job of screwing up the "Similar Threads" list at the bottom. :D:D
  • Options
    Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    Lovely! Love the third one...

...when I see great cars like this, I always wish I'd spoken to the owners, see where they lived, whether I could go and take a few shots, etc. But I bet they get requests like that all the time.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2011
    WernerG wrote: »
    The cars are spectacular and you do a great job of isolating them from the cluttered environment. Your title also did a great job of screwing up the "Similar Threads" list at the bottom. :D:D

Thanks for the kind words, Werner.

Gotta love the comment about " Similar Threads ". rolleyes1.gif

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2011
    Lovely! Love the third one...

...when I see great cars like this, I always wish I'd spoken to the owners, see where they lived, whether I could go and take a few shots, etc. But I bet they get requests like that all the time.

I appreciate the nice words.

I've found that the owners of cars like this really enjoy talking about them as much as I like hearing about them. You kind of expect that sort of reaction on their part when the car is at a show, but I've found the same sort of reaction, for the most part, when I see one on the street or in some other environment. I have, in fact, been successful in a number of instances of arranging to shoot their cars for them in a private showing. The next time you see one you should give that approach a go.

Tom
  • Options
    woellerdwoellerd Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    You're not playing fair :cry I would love to see these in person. I'd also like to thank you for giving us the background information on these vehicles. I'll be shooting the vintage racing association events here this weekend, but thats an entirely different environment. Still they are rolling pieces of art.
    Dave Woeller

My Galleries: DWPhotoworks

My Blog Page: DWPhotoworksblog

Become a fan: DWPhotoworksfan
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2011
    woellerd wrote: »
    You're not playing fair :cry I would love to see these in person. I'd also like to thank you for giving us the background information on these vehicles. I'll be shooting the vintage racing association events here this weekend, but thats an entirely different environment. Still they are rolling pieces of art.

It's sure great to hear from you, Dave. I hope you're doing well.

I'll be anxious to see your work with the vintage racers....some of my personal favorite subjects.

Tom
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    Man you just don't see that many green cars anymore.
    I'm partial to the 67 green Mustang and I like the green Jags too, now I have to add one to my list:)

That first shot is gorgeous--I even like the silver car next, it makes the green pop.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2011
    Man you just don't see that many green cars anymore.
    I'm partial to the 67 green Mustang and I like the green Jags too, now I have to add one to my list:)

That first shot is gorgeous--I even like the silver car next, it makes the green pop.

What a treat to hear from you, Liz. Thanks for looking in.

Tom
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    Quite elegant. Every little detail begs for my attention. Classy color too thumb.gif She'd love to be out on the roads of today as well as many of the memory lanes she knows.
    Michael
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    Green ... never would of expected that choice of color on one of these cars. Different indeed, but I like it. Red would be much better tho :D

Really like the last one. I'm always amazed at your photos ... with all that shine to the cars I never see your reflection :D
  • Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    Hi Tom.......Duesenbergs are my favorite machine from that era. Another beautiful shot from you......clap.gif And white wall tires on both sides... Do you remember hooking cat whiskers to your fender, so you could tell where the curb was when parallel parking, so you didn't scrape your white walls?
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2011
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Quite elegant. Every little detail begs for my attention. Classy color too thumb.gif She'd love to be out on the roads of today as well as many of the memory lanes she knows.

Wouldn't you just love, Michael, to hear some of the stories this gal could tell? A history of 81 years of dashing romance and loving care.....you just know she could mesmerize us incomparably if she was of a mind to do so.

Tom
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2011
    Nice............. and how did I miss this post.... I have a Duesy painted that color too... got it in the 1980's as a HotWheels car :P

If I remember, when I get home I'll give you some history on the car itself.

I got to sit in Greta Garbo's Duesenberg when it came to Auburn once. The ACD Museum stored it till the Kruse Auction (now RM Auctions America). I sat in it and steered it as they pushed it thru the museum :D so... I can say I drove a Duesenberg ???
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Green ... never would of expected that choice of color on one of these cars. Different indeed, but I like it. Red would be much better tho :D

Really like the last one. I'm always amazed at your photos ... with all that shine to the cars I never see your reflection :D

Hey Mary,

I go to great lengths to keep my reflection out....if at all possible. I wish I could keep all the other folk's reflections out as well....literally impossible to do that.

Tom
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2011
    Azzaro wrote: »
    Hi Tom.......Duesenbergs are my favorite machine from that era. Another beautiful shot from you......clap.gif And white wall tires on both sides... Do you remember hooking cat whiskers to your fender, so you could tell where the curb was when parallel parking, so you didn't scrape your white walls?

Yo Gary,

I do remember using the " cat whiskers " you speak of. Nowadays, they have the same thing....only they call them miniature video cameras.:D

Tom
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2011
    DJT wrote: »
    Nice............. and how did I miss this post.... I have a Duesy painted that color too... got it in the 1980's as a HotWheels car :P

If I remember, when I get home I'll give you some history on the car itself.

I got to sit in Greta Garbo's Duesenberg when it came to Auburn once. The ACD Museum stored it till the Kruse Auction (now RM Auctions America). I sat in it and steered it as they pushed it thru the museum :D so... I can say I drove a Duesenberg ???

That counts in my book, David. You da man.

Tom
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2011
    DJT wrote: »
    I sat in it and steered it as they pushed it thru the museum :D so... I can say I drove a Duesenberg ???

I'll let ya say you drove one rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I'll let ya say you drove one rolleyes1.gif

Thanks Mary ;)

Tom, oops.... went home and washed the Ford Ranger and started waxing it; forgot to dig up some info on the J. One of those washings when you start and a neighbor comes over and visits for 1/2 hour then another comes for 15 minutes..... So I ran out of daylight and only got half the truck waxed.