Options

MC# 12: Open Door

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
edited May 28, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Took a bunch of photos of a weathered door today. (I think it's my best option for a weathered subject as it is still hard to get around with this broken foot.) This seems like a better fit for the challenge than the "past its prime" shots of the mountain bluet. What do you think?

1. Open Door
i-FS3mbsx-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited May 21, 2011
    Just entered this image, but would still appreciate C & C on it. Thanks.

2. The Open Door
    i-RnNS7j4-L.jpg

This door is at the head of some rickety stairs near the place where I work.
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2011
    I really like it! The B&W works as does the perspective.
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2011
    Personally, since the theme is Withered, Weathered or Worn I'd like to see more of everything! The wall on the left and more of the door. Too dark to seee the wonderful weatheredness of the door and possbly is surroundings.....

My 2¢

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2011
    The reflection in the second makes the broken window more prominent. Maybe bring out the shadows a bit on the left. That wall looks interesting.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2011
    Thank you both for your great input. Will work on a few other images or edits later, perhaps doing one in color. The steps were a bit precarious so I tried to get all the shots that I might want or need while I was there.

Don, there was a rusted out switch box right beside me and I thought of you *and* photographed it. May get that processed sometime as well. :D

Gretchen
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    Thank you both for your great input. Will work on a few other images or edits later, perhaps doing one in color. The steps were a bit precarious so I tried to get all the shots that I might want or need while I was there.

Don, there was a rusted out switch box right beside me and I thought of you *and* photographed it. May get that processed sometime as well. :D

Gretchen
    Always nice to be thought of! :D Looking forward to that thread! thumb.gif

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    I'm loving this door! I personally would like to see more of the latch....the shape of it is interesting and the human wear and tear on handles and latches is something I find very compelling...
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2011
    I'm loving this door! I personally would like to see more of the latch....the shape of it is interesting and the human wear and tear on handles and latches is something I find very compelling...

Thanks for your helpful thoughts on this! I may have some shots that focus more on the handle and latch but this particular door isn't used much anymore so it is mostly the elements at work here.

I went back today and got shots of the door with more of its setting. Here is one that brings out the wall to the left and shows some of the stairs. Any thoughts? Focus more on the door? Include some of the wall and stairs? B/w or color?

Thanks,
    Gretchen

3. Open Door
    i-qrHNqVQ-L.jpg
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    I really like #3 most so far .. but maybe a closer crop of the door?
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2011
    Jenn wrote: »
    I really like #3 most so far .. but maybe a closer crop of the door?

Thanks for your input, Jenn! I'll work on getting a closer crop of the door from below. Here is a close up from another perspective.
    I'm loving this door! I personally would like to see more of the latch.

This shows handle and latches on the other side. Not sure if the door looks just as weathered and worn in this shot but I wanted to get this shot whether or not it works for the challenge.

4. Greener on the Other Side
    i-2LqMhfK-L.jpg

[Note: I've replaced the over-saturated edit of #4, but it's still not quite right.]

Another view of the weathered door and what is on the other side...

5. Looking Out
    i-Ws7pDfp-L.jpg

Any preferences for which perspective on the door? Color or b/w?

Many thanks,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2011
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    The reflection in the second makes the broken window more prominent. Maybe bring out the shadows a bit on the left. That wall looks interesting.

Here is a tweak of #2 based on your input and Don's comments, shedding more light on the wall. May need to refine that. Also tried having the glass in color with the rest b/w. Thoughts on this? headscratch.gif

#6 The Open Door [edit of #2]
    i-fVSbgMJ-L.jpg
  • Options
    bbjonesbbjones Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2011
    Here's a different kind of thought on that same subject:

How about a close up of that handle visible in #5? It looks like there is some great wearing in the wood right there, and you could play the curly handle shape against the straight lines of the glass? Then pick color or b/w depending on what brings out the wear the best?
    The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2011
    bbjones wrote: »
    Here's a different kind of thought on that same subject:

How about a close up of that handle visible in #5? It looks like there is some great wearing in the wood right there, and you could play the curly handle shape against the straight lines of the glass? Then pick color or b/w depending on what brings out the wear the best?

I might give that a try. Was working on some edits of the original shot, bringing out the handle a bit more and going with a slight angle.

Really like your entry, btw. Great idea, well executed! clap.gif

7. Open Door (#2 with attention to handle)
    i-LCTX76s-L.jpg

8. Open Door (with a hint of green)
    i-Ng7V53q-L.jpg

I'm leaning toward #7 even though I was intrigued with having a touch of green. Very open to C & C. What seems like a fresh idea to me might very well be trite.

Thanks,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    bbjonesbbjones Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011

I'm leaning toward #7 even though I was intrigued with having a touch of green. Very open to C & C. What seems like a fresh idea to me might very well be trite.

I like the green, actually. Usually I'm not a fan of selective color, but that green seems to emerge naturally from the b&w wood.

I opened up the original size, and WOW there's a lot of detail in there! I'm saving up for my 7D -- this makes it hard to wait!

To bring that out a bit more, what if you cropped #7 or #8 pretty tight? Like, maybe from the floor halfway up the door (above the leafy window), and in from the sides? Eyeballing the original size, it looked to me like it might make it more immediate, draw you more easily to that fantastic handle, and make it easier to see the wood grain.

Really like your entry, btw. Great idea, well executed! clap.gif
    Thanks! Clearly a target of opportunity -- I had to hope I got a good one because I wasn't going to get a reshoot! :D
    The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2011
    What a marvelous subject! I really like the perspective from below and the green emphasizes the broken window. I love the rich colors in #3 and #5. #3 could use a bit of straightening.

If you want to work the handle, I think you need to get really close. It gets a bit lost in all of the other detail when you are farther away.

Overall, I think I like #6 best.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2011
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    What a marvelous subject! I really like the perspective from below and the green emphasizes the broken window. I love the rich colors in #3 and #5. #3 could use a bit of straightening.

If you want to work the handle, I think you need to get really close. It gets a bit lost in all of the other detail when you are farther away.

Overall, I think I like #6 best.

I rendered #3 with a Dutch angle to see how that looked, but I think I like the more subtle tilt of #7 and #8 or the edit you prefer, #6. I think you are right about the handle, that I would need to get close if I want to focus attention on it. Overall, I think the play of light, curved lines, the grain of the wood, and the partial panes of glass are probably the strongest elements in this image. (Can always come back to the handle another day....) Thank you for your helpful input!
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2011
    I'm liking the door with the hint of green on the broken window (#6,#8). I feel like it really makes the overall image pop but in a subtle way and gives a focus point since there's a lot going on with the various textures and lines. Good idea. GP
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2011
    GretaPics wrote: »
    I'm liking the door with the hint of green on the broken window (#6,#8). I feel like it really makes the overall image pop but in a subtle way and gives a focus point since there's a lot going on with the various textures and lines. Good idea. GP

Thanks for the helpful input! I have never done something with b/w and a hint of color before, so it is good to get feedback on it. I did go back and darken the wall at the left a bit to give more focus on the door (and the opening) but have tried to keep some of the texture on the wall visible. Any thoughts on this? Still working on the tone of the green - darker, grayed out a bit, or brighter....

Thanks,
    Gretchen

9. The Open Door (wall to the left darkened a bit)
    i-VzVvN85-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2011
    I'm starting to like this, now! thumb.gif

Don
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2011
    Thanks, Don. Very helpful to have feedback on this!
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    Well, I like the perspective of #5 - that archway is spectacular! But I look right past the weathered door to the archway & outside - not what you're looking for in this challenge.

Otherwise, I really like the selective touch of green in the glass & the processing on the last one. I would normally prefer the colored version, but those stones are so darn pretty in color, it takes away from the weathered door!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    I am liking how this is progressing and I think this view is good. I keep wanted to get a closer look at the handle or the hinges... but that is drawing me into the photo.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2011
    Donna and Lillian, thank you both for your input! I shot some more images last night but haven't been able to compare them with my current ones yet. There is a trade off when I use the 10-22 lens and try to get closer, which is what I tried last night. So we'll see...
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    ...chiming in with appreciation for the subject and the treatment. I think I like #8 so far. Generally, I'm not a huge fan of selective color, but this works well, especially with it being toned down as you have it.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug