Options

Baubles...

rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
edited May 28, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
FINALLY, a challenge I feel I can enter!! I have drawn blanks the last few and what with RL and all, I haven't bothered scratching my head too much.

I have this idea for Baubles, I have another, unshot, for both bottles AND bowls...
20110522-9-M.jpg
1--

20110522-7-M.jpg
2--

20110522-M.jpg
3--

Now, all need a bunch of adjusting, (not to mention adding the RIGHT baubles, lol) ..I am leaning toward the very shallow DOF shot from above...

thoughts?
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    deadcactusdeadcactus Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 22, 2011
    I like the second one the best. I think it highlights the colors and details of the baubles and places them on a background that's neither distracting nor too plain.
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited May 22, 2011
    I also like the 2nd one, but wonder what it would look like to redistribute the baubles at the base of the glass. They provide some great bokeh toward the bottom of the first shot and it would be fun to see a bit more of that in the 2nd. Not sure what I think about having three strings of beads (actually 2 but appears as 3) leading out of the frame. Could move the gold string to the left and/or loop it so that we see the bottom of one loop. Just a thought. Lovely colors with these baubles, and I really like the shallow DOF.
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    I also like #2 best, but prefer to see the bottom of the looping string in the frame. You might consider cropping the top of the glass and the baubles to keep more of the bottom in frame. Gretchen has some good suggestions.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2011
    Great thoughts, everyone! I will do a real set up sometime in the next day or so, I like the actual loop myself, but want a bit more color/larger beads...and the distribution below needs a bit of play, too.

THANKS!
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2011
    20110524-5-M.jpg
    Here is my reshoot....what do you think?
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    Well, here goes my thoughts: On #2, I like the off-centeredness but agree that I'd like to see the end of the loop & maybe see more color around the base. On the reshoot - it almost seems too perfectly set-up (which I know it is, but still) - I think the loop to the front at the bottom distracts me from the baubles in the glass. I'd like to see it look more like the beads spilled over in bunches, rather than the nice loop at the bottom. I also think I prefer the assorted colors a bit more than the color-coordinated (which is unusual for me as I typically prefer colors to match well). I think in #2, you get the sense of the beads heaped up to overflowing in the glass & I don't get that from the reshoot. It could be the angle, or maybe it's because the beads are bigger in the reshoot, so there are less beads? Or the bigger beads make the glass look smaller? It also seems to me that the original beads might sparkle a bit more, or maybe that's just the lighting, I'm not sure. I do think I prefer the angle to be a bit lower like in #1 or #2, rather than more from above like in the reshoot. Nice shots & great idea - might be worth playing a bit more! :)
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    I think of them all I like #2 best.
    The reshoot is nice, but I would rather see it off centered and not quite so much dof... I wanted to see a little of the strand hanging down before it softens up.
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    FWIW...I'm going to throw my vote in for number 3 (with the suggestion that you move (or crop) the glass slightly off center. I like the more balanced focal plane on this one. The overhead POV is distracting to me for some reason.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug