Options

Mc#12 - www

dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
edited May 28, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I met up with my son's field trip today to take advantage of the location. Their last stop was at a place called Frontier Village at a local small lake/park. Local historic homes and buildings were moved there during the 60's and 70's to keep from losing them. It is now a nice little walk through history.

I got a lot that don't work at all but found a few that I like. I haven't got names for them yet. Do they work for the challenge? If so, are they any good or do I need to keep up the search?

Thanks!

DSCN0977-2-L.jpg

DSCN0979-2-L.jpg

DSCN0983-1-L.jpg

4. (Sign of a Pious Family?...)
DSCN0985-1-L.jpg

DSCN1010-1-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    I like #1 and #2 the best. The color in #2 is really appealing, but the focus looks a bit off. The wall and the back of the bucket look to be sharp, but the front of the bucket is a bit fuzzy. Or it could be my eyes are getting a bit fuzzy. :D

I think #1 is a milk jug.

Regarding the Bible, my husband tells me that Bibles were (maybe still are) exempt from bankruptcy in Texas. So families would invest in expensive Bibles.
  • Options
    bbjonesbbjones Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    I like #1 and #2 also. #2 is my favorite. I can't tell if it's fuzzy on the front of the bowl, either, but I like the composition and the colors. Plus, the texture in the wood behind is really cool.
    The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gif

Even though I also love #3, for obvious reasons. Would love to see that one on it's own in a Rust thread with all the usual Rust Junkie's treatment! :D

thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gif with all of the above comments

Maybe you can reshoot #2 for a better focus and sharper textures - great composition and colors!
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited May 27, 2011
    So glad you had an opportunity to shoot some weathered and worn stuff! Funny how some of the most worn, "mundane" objects can be so beautiful. I really like the muted palette of the milk jug, the dappled light, and the detail in the wood behind it. But I have a slight preference for #2 with its colors, hint of story (not exactly sure what the implement is), etc. The focus seems soft to me with both shots. If you are unable to reshoot, is there a way to tweak these to make them look sharper? They are both great subjects for this challenge.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2011
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    I like #1 and #2 the best. The color in #2 is really appealing, but the focus looks a bit off. The wall and the back of the bucket look to be sharp, but the front of the bucket is a bit fuzzy. Or it could be my eyes are getting a bit fuzzy. :D

I think #1 is a milk jug.

Regarding the Bible, my husband tells me that Bibles were (maybe still are) exempt from bankruptcy in Texas. So families would invest in expensive Bibles.

#2 is a bit soft on the bucket. Most of what I did yesterday was so rushed it was crazy. With a group of about 40 kids around... hard to get a shot without someone walking in front of you. :D I am betting I can go back today or tomorrow and get it right. #1 probably was an old milk can. The bible was in the old church they had there. I loved it, but wasn't able to touch anything so I couldn't place it on a good position to get a shot I like. Not sure about the bankruptcy thing, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit if they were still exempt.
    bbjones wrote: »
    I like #1 and #2 also. #2 is my favorite. I can't tell if it's fuzzy on the front of the bowl, either, but I like the composition and the colors. Plus, the texture in the wood behind is really cool.

I liked the color too. I thought I was looking for rust and such, but the patina on that really jumped out at me. The wood was also something I liked. I wasn't too sure about the other object on the table... a grinder of some kind? But not being able to touch, I couldn't move it from the shot. (If it had just been me there I would have moved it, but when the kids have all been told "DO NOT touch!!" ... :D
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Even though I also love #3, for obvious reasons. Would love to see that one on it's own in a Rust thread with all the usual Rust Junkie's treatment! :D
    Don

:D That nail was just sitting there, waiting for me to look down and say, "hey that is weathered!" I couldn't resist, even though I knew it wasn't challenge worthy.
    photo-bug wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif with all of the above comments

Maybe you can reshoot #2 for a better focus and sharper textures - great composition and colors!

I am hoping to get that done today. This time with tripod in hand and no kids around to distract and rush me through.

Thanks everyone for the comments!! It really helps to see things through others eyes.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    So glad you had an opportunity to shoot some weathered and worn stuff! Funny how some of the most worn, "mundane" objects can be so beautiful. I really like the muted palette of the milk jug, the dappled light, and the detail in the wood behind it. But I have a slight preference for #2 with its colors, hint of story (not exactly sure what the implement is), etc. The focus seems soft to me with both shots. If you are unable to reshoot, is there a way to tweak these to make them look sharper? They are both great subjects for this challenge.

Thanks, I like the milk jug for the same reason. I started to saturate it a bit and then realized that the muted soft tones on that one worked so much better. I will probably re-shoot it also while I am there just to see what I come up with.
    My preference has been #2. I might could process them to be sharper, but since it isn't far, I'm going with the re-shoot... and hope the colors show as well in todays partly cloudy lighting.
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    Oh, #2 is such a lovely subject! The colors are quite beautiful.
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gifReally like the colors & composition on that one - even with the meat grinder laying there (yes, I will never forget my mom ruining perfectly good leftover roast beef by grinding it into nasty hash with a not-so-rusty one of those). The wood & textures behind it add a lot to the weathered look. Good luck with the reshoot!

Also agree that either bible would be a great subject if you could move them around to get a better comp.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2011
    Re-shoot
    I went out today and took a few more shots of the bucket. I think this is a little more in focus. I wound up shooting with a different camera since I forgot to pick up the battery for the one I was going to use on my way out the door... duh!

ok, Brutal honesty... How are these? Is the focus any better? I think it is but it is hard to tell by the bucket. The ladle handle sticking up looks sharper though. I can always go back if I need too... or look through some more shots, but I think they are all about the same. The processing on the first is closest to the original one I posted. I tried playing the the next two. I didn't get the angle the same... guess I should have taken a picture with me, lol.

bucket-S.jpg

bucket1-L.jpg

**edit
    7a. crop 1
    bucket1-L.jpg

7b. crop 2
    bucket1-crop2-L.jpg

7c. warmer color:
    bucket1-crop21-L.jpg
    bucket3-S.jpg
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    I love #2, but like the original crop best.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2011
    I love #2, but like the original crop best.

Chris

Thanks Chris,
    That crop was bothering me too. I tried cropping it closer and posted it in the above post.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2011
    ** I added a second crop of #7 that is closer to the original crop.
  • Options
    bbjonesbbjones Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    dnie wrote: »
    ** I added a second crop of #7 that is closer to the original crop.

Yeah, #7 crop 2. thumb.gif
    The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2011

:) thanks!
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2011

#7 crop 2 yes, with warmer light and more definition in the dark areas.
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gif

Much improved version from first post! thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2011
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif

Much improved version from first post! thumb.gif

Don

Thanks Don!
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2011

Thanks Tatiana!
    I added a warmer color above... a little lighter, but I am just not sure I can get any detail out of the shadows. I will work on that though.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2011
    Possible names:

Life Oxidized
    Rustic America
    Life less Complicated
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2011
    7c. warmer color is better.
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited May 27, 2011
    dnie wrote: »
    Possible names:

Life Oxidized
    Rustic America
    Life less Complicated

I like "Rustic America" coupled with 7c. The one thing I noticed with that crop is that there is a strip of warm color drawing the eye to the upper left of the shot. I wonder what it would look like with a smidgin more of it - extending a bit more to the right - or cropped out altogether?

Glad it worked to reshoot today!
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    Again... coming late to the discussion.

I'm chiming in with more support for the beautiful composition and subject in #2. I looks as well-composed as a painted still life.

You've had lots of productive suggestions, and I have little to add that's not already there. I do wish there was a bit greater DOF to cover the range of the front rim of the bucket back to the wonderful details in the wall.

Nice shot!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2011
    These are what I have it down to... I have added the last one that is a sharpened version. I can't decide if that helps or if it is too much. It does increase the noise somewhat, but not sure if that hurts in this case. The gallery is at http://donna-niemann.smugmug.com/Challenges/DSS-Mega-Challenge-12-Withered/17243465_BvDdCS and they are the last three on the page and labeled the same as here if you want to see them there.

Possible names are: Rustic America, Life Oxidized, Life Less Complicated.
    Thanks for all the help everyone has been! So many things we just don't see on our own work.

Laughing.gif, they are all so similar... I know that the only people that would understand my dilemma are the people on this forum.

7b. crop 2
    bucket1-crop2-L.jpg

7c. warmer color:
    bucket1-crop21-L.jpg

7d. sharpened and top left corner fixed:
    bucket1-crop23-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2011
    Hey all... I have loaded 7d into the gallery with the title Rustic America. If there are any more suggestions or comments, please, go right ahead. I keep feeling like I have missed something.