Options

Dad's Ducati

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited June 1, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
For some time, my father joked about having me take pictures of his bike. So while I was home during Christmas last year, I dragged him out to the garage with me to do just that. I'd been curious to try the long exposure/manually popped flash trick I saw a long while ago on Strobist, and I figured this would be ideal for a fun experiment--conveniently disguised as father–daughter time. :wink

His birthday is in a couple weeks (and father's day soon after), so I finally got around to editing all the shots and created the below collage. I'll be buying a nice print of this and framing it for his birthday/father's day gift.

I'll also be printing wallet-size images of him on the bike, which he's joked he wants to give to my grandmother (and others in the family, I'm sure). I know our sense of humor is a bit odd, but I'm sure he'll get a kick out of it. :D

If you have suggestions for improving the collage, I'd be happy to hear them.

1311112408_T25jKrt-XL.jpg

A few of the collage images embiggened for fun. :)

1311120153_FwXF2gN-L.jpg

1311123511_jsNf5KD-M.jpg

1311128366_scL9tN6-M.jpg

1311129737_PL5hLQL-M.jpg

6 Yes, my dad is cooler than I am...
1311129580_wqLmQXH-M.jpg

Thanks for stopping by! :thumb

Comments

• Options
    jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    Nice shots, Kerry. I thought I was looking at a Ducati brochure when I saw your post. The lighting is crisp and the shots are very detailed. Awesome! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
  • Options
    oldovaloldoval Registered Users Posts: 456 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    Hindsight is 20/20 but I might have cleaned the dirt off the center of the tire tread. Otherwise pretty cool.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2011
    Very nice shots. You can come take pics of my VFR anytime. But I am putting on my motorcyclist helmet for now not my photographer hat as you have done a great job.

The crop on #2 is a little irksome to me as it goes right through the mirrors. I am not sure if you can lower it without losing some of the clutch hardware.

I also would recommend cleaning up the ground a little in PS as it did distract me a little. For instance #5 is not consistent with #6.

I really like #4. I also am impressed that you do not have the issues I see all to often when people take pictures with mirrors in them, unintended things in the mirrors!
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2011
    Well done! Love the images! Your dad will be thrilled... thumb.gif
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2011
    Really nice piece of work thumb.gif
    Michael
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited May 29, 2011
    I think your images will make a pretty cool gift.

Have you thought about making him a set of Moo mini cards of the individual shots? That'd be a neat gift too.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2011
    Thanks for all the nice comments! iloveyou.gif
    oldoval wrote:
    Hindsight is 20/20 but I might have cleaned the dirt off the center of the tire tread.

Spot on there. It was the first thing I noticed when processing the shots and kicked myself for. It was my first time doing this type of photography, so it didn't even occur to me (and I was literally shooting in the dark, so I didn't see it). Lesson learned for next time!
    But I am putting on my motorcyclist helmet for now not my photographer hat as you have done a great job.

Oh, you know, I didn't even notice that on #2. Hm. Now it irks me, too...

I left the grunge on the floor for the individual shots because I liked it, but like you, once I grouped them together, the inconsistency of the grunge bothered me. So I cleaned up the floors in the collage, but I've left them alone in the individual shots.

And I spent way too much time on #4 trying to make sure I fired my softbox directly into the mirrors. Since I was shooting mostly blind, most of the reshoots of that image were solely to refine my blind aim of the flash into the mirrors. lol3.gif
    ian408 wrote:
    Have you thought about making him a set of Moo mini cards of the individual shots? That'd be a neat gift too.

I hadn't thought of that! Thanks for the idea. thumb.gif
  • Options
    ScottWScottW Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2011
    I really like the dark background, really makes the bike standout!
  • Options
    Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    terrific photos of a terrific bike (my hubby used to have one).
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 31, 2011
    Did I sell your dad my bike? I literally had the same one, down to the handlebar mounts, aftermarket seat, windscreen, and even that headlight mod was on my list just before I sold it!

You did a great job - thanks for sharing the strobist trick too thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    JabfingerJabfinger Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    Nice shotz! How did you get the bike to stand straight up?
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2011
    DoctorIt wrote: »
    Did I sell your dad my bike? I literally had the same one, down to the handlebar mounts, aftermarket seat, windscreen, and even that headlight mod was on my list just before I sold it!

Heh--sounds like you and my dad would get along swimmingly. :D
    Jabfinger wrote:
    Nice shotz! How did you get the bike to stand straight up?

Thanks! This Ducati had two kickstands--one was the typical single, kickdown stand that makes the bike lean, and the other was a dual-leg stand centered under the bike that required a bit of physical strength to employ (dad came in handy for that part). I just cloned out the kickstand in the final shots. thumb.gif
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    Llywellyn wrote: »
    .... the other was a dual-leg stand centered under the bike that required a bit of physical strength to employ (dad came in handy for that part).

I think the term you are looking for is centerstand. However is the Duc always that clean or is it winterized?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2011
    I think the term you are looking for is centerstand. However is the Duc always that clean or is it winterized?

...uh, yeah, what he said. (I am not up to speed on motorcycle--or any auto/moto--terminology, obviously. mwink.gif)

He had just cleaned it, I think. Considering he lives in central Texas, the need for "winterization" never comes around. He rides more frequently in the cooler months because the leathers are so hot. Less riding in summer for the same reason.