Options

DSS #77 - C&C Please - Rainbow Light-up Bowls

MemolMemol Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
edited May 31, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I have been thinking about a couple of ideas for Bottles, Baubles, or Bowls, and I haven't made up my mind quite yet on exactly which idea to pursue. One of my ideas is what I like to call Rainbow Light-up Bowls, and is shown in the following two pictures.

Would appreciate C&C on these. Also please let me know which one you may like better. Thanks!

DSC2096Edited-M.jpg

DSC2121Edited-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    bbjonesbbjones Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2011
    #2. The tighter crop is definitely better.
    I like the rainbow. It might be interesting with some real tealights, for real fire.
    The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2011
    Thanks for your comment... I know real fire would have looked better but bowls are just plastic and not exactly designed for holding candles.
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited May 30, 2011
    Welcome to dgrin! I think #2 looks good. The detail of the table complements the line up of colorful bowls.
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    Memol wrote: »
    Thanks for your comment... I know real fire would have looked better but bowls are just plastic and not exactly designed for holding candles.

Although these are plastic, if you get fresh small tea candles, sold under that name and get all set up including test shots for settings of just candles sans bowls. Then fresh for ones for actual shoots you should be fine for a few shots. Then if you need more shots start fresh, again.

These candles come quantity in cases lots that are real cheap.

:D

Don

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2011
    Ok, I put some water in the bowls, and floated small real tealights. The light from the real candles obviously turned out to be less uniform across the bowls. Also I obviously could not exactly center the floating candles within the bowls. After all, did not get too many keepers. Here are two of the shots. Unfortunately I miss the table detail here. But I like the reflection of the bowls on the table in the 2nd shot.

May not have time to try my other ideas today. So would appreciate any feedback as to which one of these four shots to submit.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    I like the last one best. Try burning the BG. The gray area draws my eye away from the bowls. Nice work!
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    Nice! I like the last one best as well..
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2011
    Thanks for your comments... and yes, I think I myself like the last one better too, and will likely submit it after I take care of the little gray distraction in the background.

Another idea I had was to play with a few small shampoo/lotion bottles I had. Here is a sample shot. I think I still like the rainbow bowls better though.

DSC2377Edited-M.jpg
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    I like this one, too. But I think the bowls are stronger.
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited May 30, 2011
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    I like this one, too. But I think the bowls are stronger.

15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    PhotoMusePhotoMuse Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    I like the first of these two shots. I favor the perspective on the first shot. The second shot is great too, but the first bowl looks like it is climbing up the side of the frame and leaning and that is a little distracting. thumb.gif

DSC2394Edited-M.jpg

DSC2405Edited-M.jpg