Options

tethered shooting EOS utility

vdotmatrixvdotmatrix Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
edited June 2, 2011 in Technique
> I have a laptp that I have had mixed results shooting tethered to my VISTA os laptop.
>
> I open LR2.7, the EOS utility and after fiddling with a few boxes the program will work tethered.
>
> When I plug the firewire in the window says the WIA document SCANNER drivers cannot be found-I just cancel that window.
>
> =====================
>
> The issue is the process is not dependable and is suicide on a photoshoot. Some times it works and is a very powerful tool! Other times.....it is a frustrating embarrassment.
>
> I called Canon. they told me that if it was working NOT to update the EOS Utility program.
>
> WIA or WIC drivers, which should I use?
>
> Does anyone use this setup?
>
> Shooting tethered is the way to go!!!

Comments

• Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2010
    EOS Utility has always been flakey and fragile.

I'd recommend you just upgrade to Lightroom 3.0 which has tethered shooting built in and you can get rid of EOS Utility permanently.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2010
    CatOne wrote: »
    EOS Utility has always been flakey and fragile.

I'd recommend you just upgrade to Lightroom 3.0 which has tethered shooting built in and you can get rid of EOS Utility permanently.

THANK YOU for that BIG NEWS.

I just ordered it from Adobe...can't wait to CHUCK the EOS Utility program.

http://www.photoshopuser.com/lightroom3/
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    The tethered capture feature in LR3 is really convenient, but it does not allow you to control the camera from the computer (other than to fire the shutter.)

I think I'll still keep Nikon Camera Control Pro on the laptop just in case!

I can only assume the Canon software allows you to actually control the camera, no? ne_nau.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    The tethered capture feature in LR3 is really convenient, but it does not allow you to control the camera from the computer (other than to fire the shutter.)

I think I'll still keep Nikon Camera Control Pro on the laptop just in case!

I can only assume the Canon software allows you to actually control the camera, no? ne_nau.gif

i never used the EOS util. program that way, merely to capture during a shoot. Don;t see much use for that unless it was on a tripod....

i can't wait to get it.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 14, 2010
    EOS utility does allow you to set shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and RAW versus jpg too I think.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2010
    vdotmatrix wrote: »
    THANK YOU for that BIG NEWS.

I just ordered it from Adobe...can't wait to CHUCK the EOS Utility program.

http://www.photoshopuser.com/lightroom3/

so i installed it. it sometimes recognizes the camera, i shoot but nothing is imported. i am pointing to and watching "test" folder with nothing.

Also mentions in the instructions something about drivers to download fro canon.

doesanyone have any idea what drivers we need for this.

i just spent $300 on a full version of LR since I couldn't upgrade for one reason or another....

thanks
  • Options
    Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2010
    I may be a bit late on this or maybe I am just totally missing what you are trying to accomplish, but have you looked at DSLR Remote Pro? I use this to shoot tethered and love it. I use a Mac, but here is a link to the windows edition

http://www.breezesys.com/DSLRRemotePro/index.htm
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2010
    I may be a bit late on this or maybe I am just totally missing what you are trying to accomplish, but have you looked at DSLR Remote Pro? I use this to shoot tethered and love it. I use a Mac, but here is a link to the windows edition

http://www.breezesys.com/DSLRRemotePro/index.htm

Lightroom3 has this feature built in and it goes right into LR3. I used it with some success in LR2, but it has supposedly been refined and eliminates the use of EOS Utility.

Thanks for looking!
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited June 18, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    EOS utility does allow you to set shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and RAW versus jpg too I think.

nod.gif It also does interval timed shots. I have never had any trouble with it.
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2010
    richard wrote: »
    nod.gif it also does interval timed shots. I have never had any trouble with it.

lightroom 3 ??
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2010
    lightroom 3 ??

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS MEAN IN LIGHTROOM3 AND WHERE THESE SETTING ARE LOCATED?:

Notes on Canon cameras

• 5D, 20D, and Digital Rebel XT (350D/Kiss Digital N) must be set to PC Connect Mode prior to using.
    • 5D, 1D Mark II, 1Ds Mark II on Windows require a driver downloaded from Canon. This driver is not available for 64-bit versions of Windows.
    • 20D is not suppored on Windows.
    • Using the 50D in Windows, images may fail to come into the computer if the CF card is inserted or removed during the session.
    • 1D Mark II, 1Ds Mark II must be connected via Firewire for tethered support.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited June 18, 2010
    lightroom 3 ??
    EOS Utility. Sorry for the confusion.
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    EOS Utility. Sorry for the confusion.

I went to the canon USA site and just for cheap thrills, I updated all the canon software including ieee 1394 drivers and canon utility to cover all bases on drivers.

SOLUTION:

You cannot have both methods enabled in LR3!!

I disabled auto import.

Enabled tethered shooting and crossed my fingers!

IT WORKS!!!

I also tripped the shutter from the Tethered Interface a couple of times.

i went back and ENABLED autoimport and then tripped the shutter and it would NOT work as before.

Auto Import and Tethered Capture are two different approaches:

Auto Import automatically imports photos written by another application (e.g. EOS Utility) into a folder watched by LR and moves them away from that watched folder into a folder designated in the Auto Import Settings.

In Tethered Capture, you set up a folder where to store your photos in. After clicking OK, LR will create the folder(s) for you and you will be presented with the tethered interface .

You can then either release the shutter at your camera, or click the round button to the right of the interface to release the shutter. After shutter release, the photo will be automatically imported into the folder(s) chosen. b_gossweiller

what is nice about the LR3 setup is the simplicity. You don't have to FUTZ around with all the fragile settings in the EOS utility that can mysteriously reset them selves if something is up set during shooting- you have to start the set up sequence ALL over again- what a PITA. Maybe i am not using this properly but who cares.... Then you had to have the auto import settings lined up in LR2 which usually wasn't problematic.

IN COMES LR3 Hurray Everybody.

1. open LR3 2. Start tethered shooting 3. name your session- LR creates the folder for you 4. point to the folder HIT OK!

that's it! plug in your camera. The camera model appears in the tethered interface along with the real time camera settings.

you can release the shutter from the interface or at the camera as before.

BEAUTIFUL!
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    nod.gif It also does interval timed shots. I have never had any trouble with it.

...And video recording while viewing
    tom wise
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2010
    angevin1 wrote: »
    ...And video recording while viewing

So even though my XTi won't do recording on the camera body it will do it to LR3? I figured I would ask for clarification before I start getting confused.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    roakeyroakey Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2011
    Figured I'd report my very positive results using Canon's EOS utility to balance all the negative ones :)

Computer: HP Mini210-1000, Windows 7 starter SP1.
    Canon 7D, firmware 1.2.5
    Canon EOS utility, V2.10.0.0
    Active USB cable extensions (10M): two USB2-AA-10M (NTI USB extenders)

Appears to work flawlessly. Zero or at worst extremely little latency difference when using two active USB2.0 10M extensions versus plugging the camera directly into the laptop. I bought two 10M cables so I didn't have to have extra wire coiled if I can get within 10M of the camera.

I have not run any long-term tests for problems like hanging, etc.

I do not know how fast the extenders will draw down the laptop’s battery.

Photographer suggestions:
    • If you can, leave the photos on the camera. This will save the time of pushing files across the USB to the laptop.
    • if you want to instantly see the photos on the laptop: Setup the Canon EOS utility to store the RAW photos on the camera, and only ship the .jpg files across. Set the .jpg to the lowest resolution possible to make the files as small as possible.

It's quite something being able to control the focus, exposure (both speed and aperture) flash firing, flash settings, ISO, etc. 60 feet away from the camera!

I have not had this setup "out in the field" yet, the above is all from office testing. The plan is to set the camera up next to a racetrack where I can't (and wouldn't) want to be situated and be able to take and review pictures from behind the comfort of a safety wall.

If you have any questions, ask away!

Roak

Ps. You don't have to click on the shutter release button to take pictures -- you can just press the space bar.
    [email]roakeyatunderctekdotcom[/email]
    <== Mighty Murphy, the wonder Bouv!
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2011
    roakey wrote: »
    Figured I'd report my very positive results using Canon's EOS utility to balance all the negative ones :)

I have since been using ADOBE lightroom for near flawless tethered shooting.

I open LR, plug in my camera, start tethered shooting and it is awesome!.

I can show the client the shoot after every shot and they can crop or reject shots as we go.

NOTHING is better.

cheers
  • Options
    roakeyroakey Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2011
    I have since been using ADOBE lightroom for near flawless tethered shooting.
    I do have LR3 but have not yet explored its tethered shoting capabilities. With LR3 do you have access to all the controls from the PC as with the EOS utility (flash as well as camera)? Unlike a studio setting, I will physically not have access to the camera so I need to control as many functions as possible remotely.

Roak
    [email]roakeyatunderctekdotcom[/email]
    <== Mighty Murphy, the wonder Bouv!