Options

The oh so thrilling birds of New Jersey

Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
edited June 4, 2011 in Wildlife
I don't consider myself a wildlife photographer by any means but I like looking at the other shots people post in this forum and I especially like a lot of the bird shots some of you guys get. So, I figured I'd post some of the bird photos I've taken in northern New Jersey, not exactly a destination for bird watchers, and see what you guys think.

1)
duck-in-repose-L.jpg

2)
goose-drinking-L.jpg

3)
goose-portrait-L.jpg

4) I like this one because these little birds are so twitchy and hard to catch nearby without them panicking and I don't have long enough glass to get them from a 'stealthy' distance.
DSC3730edited-1-L.jpg

5)And in true north Jersey fashion, these geese got in a fight for no perceptible reason.
goose-fighting-1-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    peargrinpeargrin Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2011
    Hi Molotov,

Good news! You would be amazed at the wildlife in New Jersey, even in the northern areas. We have a wide diversity of habitat in a small area, and are placed perfectly on migrations routes. The result is an abundance of wildlife that, unfortunately, most New Jersians don't realize is available to watch, photograph, enjoy. If you're becoming interested in wildlife photography, you'll find plenty to keep yourself challenged and entertained right at home!

Best wishes, pear

(p.s. if you want proof, my site is 100% New Jersey... http://peargrin.smugmug.com)
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2011
    Woah where did you find bald eagles, egrets and herons? I've seen hawks, vultures, cormorants and some nice looking little birds, but never those. Also, did you get that black squirrel shot in Princeton? That's the only town I've seen black squirrels in.
  • Options
    peargrinpeargrin Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2011
    Hi Molotov,

The short answer is: everywhere! For the northeast, the Meadowlands and Sandy Hook come to mind. A great resource is the trail guides at http://www.njwildlifetrails.org/, which has a long list of wildlife trails for the Hackensack Watershed. The State audubon society at http://www.njaudubon.org/ another good resource. Find out where your local fishermen like to go. If there's good freshwater fishing, there's bound to be herons, egrets, and maybe even some eagles and osprey! I'm mostly shooting in central and south New Jersey. My eagles are about two minutes from a major highway, and nesting right across from a housing development. There are 200 breeding pairs in the state now, and a number of websites tracking sightings (and at least one eagle cam). With any luck, your county has a pair or two.

Hope this is helpful. Have fun out there!

Best wishes, pear

p.s. great call on the squirrel, although, I did see one in Central Park the other day!
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2011
    Good set of pics. I know your pain having lived in NYC for 57 years.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2011
    Thanks for the info pairgrin, I'm going to be in hackettstown in 2 weeks for a roller derby bout in the evening, maybe I'll head out in the morning and walk a trail for a few hours before that (and buy some more memory cards before I do). Looks like I need to make an effort to head out west to get to the good spots, I live in too industrialized of an area, by Passaic Newark and Manhattan. I guess my only concern is my longest lens is an 80-200mm and I did get some shots of a cormorant once, but he was in the middle of a little man made fishing lake and I just couldn't get anything really good like the ones you have of one eating a fish. I did technically get a shot of him eating a fish, it was just so far away it took up like 5% of the frame and couldn't be salvaged.