Options

My Engagement Ring!

ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
edited June 5, 2011 in Weddings
Yes you read that right, my boyfriend proposed today!!! And being a good self proclaimed "ring queen" on here, I took a bunch of photos of it after Heather reminded me I needed to do proper shima-style photos ;)

Oh and how did he do it? He told me we were going furniture shopping (we need a guest bed and new larger couch for our new place, so I believed him) and he even put the address of the furniture place in the Tom Tom GPS...but then he drove us to SFO instead and took us to the private take off area where jets and helicopters take off... and he had chartered us a helicopter for an hour!!! We also got really lucky and the helicopter he had booked us wasn't available for some reason so they upgraded us to one that costs twice the price to charter normally (for no extra fee) so that was extra awesome! Anyhoo it flew all over the San Francisco area, and after it flew under the Golden Gate bridge he popped the question and I said yes!! I had my G12 with me and took a bunch of photos too during the trip, but wanted to edit the ring shots I took when we got home first ;)

Oh and yes if you're wondering I already know who's taking my wedding photos next year when we get married. Christine Meintjes will be doing them when we go overseas to Cape Town South Africa, we're going to get married there on 12/12/12... we're a bit odd in that we've been planning this wedding for the last month or so before any actual proposal had actually happened :D

IMG0038-2-L.jpg

IMG0006-L.jpg

IMG0022-L.jpg

IMG0033-L.jpg

5. This last one isn't very artsy, but it was the best way I had to show off the detail from the side view:
IMG0012-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    TravelTravel Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    Nice way he popped the question! Congrats.
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    Wow, congrats, girl! That ring is gorjuss!
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    Bling bling!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    YAY! Congratulations! And that ring is TO DIE FOR! I'd be taking photos of it nonstop. Your fiance did an awesome job!

And might I say that I am completely jealous of your wedding plans. I hope you post a link to your 'togs stuff when it happens because we all want to see. I want to make it to South Africa someday before I croak.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    KA0TVOKA0TVO Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    Whoo hoo :-)
    B&H on the gift list???
    Bob
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2011
    KA0TVO wrote: »
    Whoo hoo :-)
    B&H on the gift list???

Haha. Funny story about another reason he's the best boyfriend...er fiance now, ever. I had the 24 3.5L TS-E Mk II on my amazon wishlist and for this past Christmas, he got me that. :) The boy knows the way to my heart!
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    Shima wrote: »
    Haha. Funny story about another reason he's the best boyfriend...er fiance now, ever. I had the 24 3.5L TS-E Mk II on my amazon wishlist and for this past Christmas, he got me that. :) The boy knows the way to my heart!

Psst, Cat, sneak in my christmas list!!! Tell I will love him forever too! iloveyou.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    So happy for you Cat!
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    Congratulations!!! The ring looks sweet!! :)
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    wowowow how exciting all around!!! Can we see some photos on your finger? That side detail was a surprise, didn't notice it all from the other angles. Congrats, what a keeper he is and so lucky to have found you !!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    Yowsa! Ding ding ding! Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner!

Congrats! Sounds like it's going to be a fantastic day (and ever after, too!)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    Congratulations...and very nice ring. Just one question...and some may know the answer to this. Why South Africa? Sounds very exciting.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2011
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    wowowow how exciting all around!!! Can we see some photos on your finger? That side detail was a surprise, didn't notice it all from the other angles. Congrats, what a keeper he is and so lucky to have found you !!

Haha yeah I have photos on finger too, but they weren't nearly as fancy looking :)

IMG9968-M.jpg

That side detail casts quite a shadow in sunlight!
    IMG9990-M.jpg

IMG9961-M.jpg

IMG9987-M.jpg
    Ed911 wrote: »
    Congratulations...and very nice ring. Just one question...and some may know the answer to this. Why South Africa? Sounds very exciting.

We have been planning a trip to Cape Town, South Africa for quite some time now actually. Terry has a few friends in the area that we've been wanting to visit, and neither of us have ever been to anywhere in Africa. Plus it's a gorgeous place. When we started seriously talking about where our destination wedding should be last month, Terry suggested why don't we just get married when we go to South Africa next year? Their summer also happens to be our winter, so 12/12/2012 seemed like a perfect idea. I started researching photographers as soon as the idea was hatched to make sure I could snag someone that fit my high standards (thank you dgrin for really raising my standards, lol) We found Christine Meintjes work, a local Cape Town photographer, and just knew she was the person for the job.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    Congrats!
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    Congrats Shima!!!
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    GORGEOUS! :) Absolutely love #2.

Congratulations, Cat! {BIG hugs!}
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    Congrats!!!!! wings.gifbarbwings.gifbarbwings.gif

Its really beautiful!thumb.gif
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2011
    So happy for you both! It's only fitting that the ring queen of D grin should wear such a royal looking one on her own finger.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    wooohoo! cat congrats!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    TdcomptonTdcompton Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2011