Options

DSS#78 - Passage

SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited June 5, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Creepiest photo I've ever had to take.

This is Hawk Hill Tunnel in San Francisco at the Marin Headlands.

Place is really spooky late at night.

How do you like my painting?

Passage-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2011
    Pretty awesome idea. I like the off-center composition. I like the eery blue of the tunnel. If I'm nitpicking, I wish the light painting either had more definition in the individual light streaks/lines, or less definition (i.e., more like a ball of light without breaks).
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    JR303JR303 Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2011
    This is really good. And yeah, I would believe spooky. My only nit is the light at then end seems too "staged". I don't really know how to explain it, but it's like it's too concentrated. You use a flash or a flashlight?
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2011
    JR303 wrote: »
    You use a flash or a flashlight?
    To light the tunnel I used a 580EXii set at -1/3. For the ball, it is a battery powered road flare on the end of a string. Tunnel height is about 20', tunnel length was about 1/4 mile.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2011
    Thought about this on my way into town. Is there a curve where you could place the flash so you could see the light, but not the source? I think my biggest problem is that the ball looks to "perfect". I think light from around a corner might add an aire of mystery.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2011
    There is no curve in the tunnel, I painted the ball about 1/2 way down.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2011
    That's halfway? wow, I bet that is spooky. Well, I hope you didn't take all that the wrong way, it's a very good image, just what I envisioned when I saw those fantastically textured walls. If it makes you feel any better, I probably wouldn't be down there at night at all. Might be spiders. Don't do spiders.
  • Options
    MammaPaparazzaMammaPaparazza Registered Users Posts: 221 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2011
    JR303 wrote: »
    That's halfway? wow, I bet that is spooky. Well, I hope you didn't take all that the wrong way, it's a very good image, just what I envisioned when I saw those fantastically textured walls. If it makes you feel any better, I probably wouldn't be down there at night at all. Might be spiders. Don't do spiders.

Spiders....:nah...what about creepy people? I wouldn't go there because of creepy people (present party excluded), you can squish a spider...rolleyes1.gif

I think it's an awesome photo, but like everyone else said, the end isn't doing it, it doesn't look natural. I really like the idea mentioned above about a light past a bend, that stinks that there isn't one.
    Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively. - Dalai Lama XIV
    It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2011
    I agree with the others that there is something not quite right about the light. It might also work to make it more ghostly, more unreal.