fashion video

dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
edited June 29, 2012 in Video
Short (TRT 1:48) fashion video I put together from a recent shoot. Feedback welcome. I'm still shooting handheld and struggling a bit with accurate focus but planning to get a viewfinder soon to help with that.

http://vimeo.com/24695393

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
website blog instagram facebook g+

Comments

• MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2011
    Three cheers to wonderful lighting. Great stuff.
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2011
    Three cheers to wonderful lighting. Great stuff.

Thanks Adam. Just took a look at the Jeep video on your website. Was that all shot with the bumper camera? How is the footage so steady while bouncing around off-road? headscratch.gif

edited June 8, 2011
    dogwood wrote: »
    Thanks Adam. Just took a look at the Jeep video on your website. Was that all shot with the bumper camera? How is the footage so steady while bouncing around off-road? headscratch.gif

Shot with a GoPro Hero camera mounted on the front bumper. I'm not sure what the GoPro is doing to minimize shake, but it works. I'm pretty impressed with the little camera.
  • JReinertsenJReinertsen Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2012
    Shot with a GoPro Hero camera mounted on the front bumper. I'm not sure what the GoPro is doing to minimize shake, but it works. I'm pretty impressed with the little camera.

Hey Adam, Ive have one the GOPRO Hero 2 cams and was wondering how you were able to adjust the subject in focus. Was it during editing?
    edited March 30, 2012
    Hey Adam, Ive have one the GOPRO Hero 2 cams and was wondering how you were able to adjust the subject in focus. Was it during editing?
    I didn't do any special editing - pretty much all straight out of camera.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2012
    Pete, that looks great. Well done! clap.gif

My only comment is to go easy on the dissolves. In my work I avoid them, and I can't even remember the last time I dissolved two shots. Here's my thinking:

A dissolve has to do at least one of two things. First, it has to serve a definitive narrative purpose. It has to have a reason to exist, to provide something that a straight cut can't. Second it has to look pretty. Too often the composite frames during a dissolve just don't look good. Park in the middle of a dissolve and ask yourself if you'd print that frame. Chances are you wouldn't.

Now, granted, cutting trailers for a living is very different than fashion photography and videography. But I think the logic still stands about dissolves.

And in the end, I think the video's great as is. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2012
    I also have a GoPro Hero II. I was wondering if you have to convert your mpeg files to mov to use them in editing and if so how do you convert them.
  • Rob PauzaRob Pauza Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2012
    Nothing wrong with handheld Pete. It looks good and adds a humanistic quality to it, opposed to everything being locked down and perfectly flowing. I tend to agree with David about the dissolves. I do think they, along with your "dip to whites" are working for the still photo transitions though. It seems to make sense there, but for me, they draw attention and detract from your video... I guess because fashion tends to be hard-edged and fast-paced. All in all, nice footage. You did great.

-Rob
    -Rob Pauza
    Rob Pauza Photography
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2012
    thonsu wrote: »
    I love it!

Just stumbled on some of this feedback. Thank you. I'll keep in mind the comments on the dissolves!