Options

Looking for P&S for around $150

b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
edited June 7, 2011 in Cameras
Anyone have suggestions on a point and shoot for around 150 bucks? My soon to be 11 yr. old daughter would like a camera for her birthday, but I am used to looking at DSLR's for myself. Trying to get the most optical zoom and something that does hi def movies?????

HELP....

:dunno
Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited June 7, 2011
    The Fujifilm FinePix F300EXR is often available lightly used for a little under $200USD. It's a lot of camera for the money and sports a 15x zoom with a decent wide end and IS. It will do 720P video that look good when you have sufficient light.

It also has a ton of creative modes like panoramic stitched images in-camera and some low-light modes.

I got one for my adult daughter but some day I'll get one for myself too.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    My daughter has a Canon 1200IS (which isn't HD recording), it was like $130 at Costco a year ago. It works fine, she uses it....some. She also has an older Flip camera, and frankly prefers that for video, as the software is friendly and she likes editing video (she is 12).

Now, my advice: I have learned that my kids have very different ideas about photography and video than I do. This is especially true in quality. It seems far more important that they can easily get the video and photos onto their computer and onto Youtube or email to friends. In fact, HD video has the problem of being too much for my daughters old laptop, and too big to send via email. Kids are not too adept at brevity in their videos. (have you watched any 12 min videos yet?).

Therefore, my recommendation is going to be very different: get your son a refurbished iPod Touch 4th generation, with the camera. (its about $199) It shoots good enough photos, and 720HD video. You can email from the device, even edit the video with a $5 app (iMovie). Plus you will be the World's Greatest Dad.