"End Zone"
"Reaching the Goal"
Any other ideas?

There's a few different views:
20D201106026545-L.jpg

20D201106026547-L.jpg

20D201106026553-L.jpg

20D201106026554-L.jpg

Is it obvious what's going on here? I've seen this enough times that it is to me, but I may not be typical on that.

C&C on any of those? I think I like the strip of track at the bottom, but I'm torn between the broader perspective of #1 and the tighter crop and detail in the others.
The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com

Comments

• Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    Great take on theme. I think I would like #1 best with a crop removing some of the red, but leaving field in front of the chairs and the hurdle in the right 1/3 region.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    rbustraenrbustraen Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    I really like the idea and have a suggestion but don't know if it's possible. How about a shot with someone in it, dressed in cap and gown but in the back out of focus? Just a suggestion to drive the 'idea' home? I didn't get it at first, but I've only had one coffee :P
    - Randy

Photo Of The Day & My SmugMug Gallery
    Canon 7D and not enough L glass....
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited June 3, 2011
    I like where you went with this challenge! I agree that first one is best, perhaps with a some cropping. It took me awhile to process this and agree that some clue would be helpful. A cap or a podium might be a good hint.
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    Having been a former HS band director in a former life, I saw where you were going immediately and also like the idea. I'm going with #1 as the best of the set, too.

And I like the idea of someone in the shot. If not a grad, what about a young child looking at the seats with a title like Long Road Ahead.

One more suggestion, applicable only if you have connections to the school admin: Put the rows further apart so supervising teachers can get down the rows to grab the flying beach balls more easily.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    MammaPaparazzaMammaPaparazza Registered Users Posts: 221 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    billseye wrote: »
    Having been a former HS band director in a former life, I saw where you were going immediately and also like the idea. I'm going with #1 as the best of the set, too.

And I like the idea of someone in the shot. If not a grad, what about a young child looking at the seats with a title like Long Road Ahead.

" One more suggestion, applicable only if you have connections to the school admin: Put the rows further apart so supervising teachers can get down the rows to grab the flying beach balls more easily"

rolleyes1.gifrofland blown up condoms, and super soakers so the grads don't get wet..clap.gif
    glad to see it wasn't just my HS. lol
    Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively. - Dalai Lama XIV
    It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)
  • Options
    bbjonesbbjones Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    billseye wrote: »
    One more suggestion, applicable only if you have connections to the school admin: Put the rows further apart so supervising teachers can get down the rows to grab the flying beach balls more easily.

Heh heh heh. Unfortunately, I have basically no access to the site. I took these standing on a stump and reaching over the fence.

The track is usually open to the neighborhood during non-school hours, but it's all gated up right now, presumably to keep those revelers from messin' with the seats.

I was pretty fortunate that in my limited available angles there was one that highlighted the "G" from the football field. And, I was fortunate that my flexible work day yesterday coincided with the chair setup! But there's definitely no way to get a person in there. Graduation is today, I believe, and the chairs will be down first thing Saturday morning, if not before.

Thanks for all of your input! I'll go work on the crop a bit more and see what I can get.
    The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com
  • Options
    greatlifephotosgreatlifephotos Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited June 3, 2011
    Ah, the old over the fence shot. Once again proving that photographers are a sneaky and determined bunch! Clever take on the theme and I prefer #1.
  • Options
    torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2011
    Also prefer #1 - like the uniform "marching" look of the chairs. Agree with the others need something to indicate is for a graduation - realise you cannot do this actually so maybe can indicate it through the title?
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2011
    torrbrae wrote: »
    Also prefer #1 - like the uniform "marching" look of the chairs. Agree with the others need something to indicate is for a graduation - realise you cannot do this actually so maybe can indicate it through the title?

I'm thinking that's the best way to go. Still noodling on a few options, but very open to suggestions! Graduation was last night, and now we're having the biggest June rainstorm in the Bay Area that I can remember. No more shooting that subject!

Here's a few title options I'm playing with...

"Pomp and Circumstance"?
    "Oh, the Places You'll Go"?

For you music fans of a certain age:
    "Four years prostrate to the higher mind"

www.photographyjones.com
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2011
    Thanks for the advice, all. What do you think of this one:

#5:
    20D201106026545-L.jpg

Title: "Four Years Driving for the Goal"

www.photographyjones.com
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    I like it! Nice job.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com