Options

Looking for a good Macro Lens for D90

Butterfly2011Butterfly2011 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
edited June 9, 2011 in Accessories
I have a Nikon 85mm lens for my Nikon D90, which i just bought not too long ago it focuses, but will not zoom even though there is a thing to zoom with is it broke or is it suppost to be like that??

So if its broke need to see if it could be fixed or whats another good macro, thats reasonable price?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    think its a prime lens , it has no zoom
    if you need zoom , buy a zoom-lens

has nothing to do with the D90 , witch is a good camera

as for macro lenses ;
    they are all prime [ no zoom ]

btw
    beautiful photo's on your site thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2011
    K thats what I thought, but its my first one & wanted to make sure.
    Thanks for the compliment!
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited June 7, 2011
    If you find a used Tamron 90mm, f2.8 Macro they are a true 1:1 macro capable lens and can be reasonable in cost too. That's what I use for my genuine "macro" needs.

A "diopter" close focus attachment lens will allow your Nikon 85mm lens to be used much more closely than it was designed to be used. (You don't mention which 85mm you purchased.)

You would probably need to go with a larger diameter diopter and then use an adapter ring to mount the diopter to your lens(es).

An extension tube set would also allow your 85mm lens to be used more closely and it would probably be the cheapest alternative. Light loss is greater but if you use a flash for illumination, it works pretty well.

You can also just reverse another lens in front of your mounted lens and some of those 2-lens combinations work pretty well.

If you want more ideas about macro photography please visit our "Holy Macro" forum and especially the sticky threads at the top. Lots of ideas there. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    Assuming your 85mm is the f/3.5 1:1 micro-Nikkor and not either the 85 f/1.8 or 85 f/1.4, then yes, what you have is a macro lens. The "thing to zoom with" is the focus ring. As basflt mentioned, it is a fixed focal length (prime) lens, so it will not zoom. There are some zoom lenses that are called macro (mostly from Sigma, IIRC), but I don't think any of them actually get to 1:1. I've read good things about that 85 f/3.5 macro, and also the Tamron 90, if one doesn't want to spend the money on the 105 mm f/2.8 micro-Nikkor.

I think you should be happy with the 85 on the D90. If you're not, you can give it to me. ;-)
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2011
    Sorry, didnt mentioned which one, I have the Nikon 85mm f1.8 D
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    Sorry, didnt mentioned which one, I have the Nikon 85mm f1.8 D

That is a nice portrait and low-ish light medium telephoto lens, but with a max reproduction ratio of 0.11x, it is not at all close to being a macro lens. The 85 mm f/3.5G VR DX is the macro lens Nikon introduced last year for DX bodies like the D90.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2011
    So Im loving all this advise & researching! The kind of macro lens I want is one that shoots very close to capture detail, but wouldn't need a tripod. Is that possiable? Or only if I didn't zoom in as close?
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2011
    yes , very well possible
    i say , as amateur , choose a 65 or 85 mm macro lens
    you can shoot anything from 50cm [ 2 feet ] to infinite , handheld
    within that range autofocus works normal too
    at closer distance AF may go "hunting" , so manual focus is desired in that range , but still can be done handheld
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited June 8, 2011
    So Im loving all this advise & researching! The kind of macro lens I want is one that shoots very close to capture detail, but wouldn't need a tripod. Is that possiable? Or only if I didn't zoom in as close?

Please do visit our Holy Macro forum for more tips and techniques relating to macro usage:

http://dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=143373
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2011
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2011
    Nikon / Nikkor , ofcourse , what else

IMO length is not that importend , unless you really want close-up , like i do
    for portrait and flower , all lengths will do

different between macro lenses and normal lenses is quality [ and price ]

[ let the experts correct me if im wrong ]
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2011
    basflt wrote: »
    Nikon / Nikkor , ofcourse , what else

IMO length is not that importend , unless you really want close-up , like i do
    for portrait and flower , all lengths will do

different between macro lenses and normal lenses is quality [ and price ]

[ let the experts correct me if im wrong ]

Just because a lens states it is macro does not mean it is true macro and nikon is squirrely for calling their macro lenses Micro, which is something totlally different....any way not trying to confuse you..but A lot of "macro: lenses are only really very close up lenses and do not reproduce a 1 to 1 (1:1) image (true macro or lifesize image at approx. 4X6" print)...most are 1 to 2 (1:2) {half life size) or 1:3.... {1/3 lifesized)....

from the Ahem never wrong wikipedia ---- In recent years, the term macro has been used in marketing material to mean being able to focus on a subject close enough so that when a regular 6×4 inch (15×10 cm) print is made, the image is life-size or larger.[citation needed] With 35mm film this requires a magnification ratio of only approximately 1:4, which demands a lower lens quality than 1:1. With digital cameras the actual image size is rarely stated, so that the magnification ratio is largely irrelevant; cameras instead advertise their closest focusing distance.

As to buyng a macro lens...try to decide how close to your subject you want to be working....me I like no less than 12 inches the more working distance you have the more tools you can use...like....flashes, reflectors etc etc......you will get your best shots from mounting that camera on a tripod (and I already know you do not want to do that but sometimes it is necessary)......but do check every lens you look at to see how close it is to 1:1....as one who really likes sigma lenses you might want to look for a USED 180mm Macro or a 150MM Macro........since I do not print really small prints (anything under 8x10 I do not print) so having a 1:2 or even a 1:4 lens has never been a problem and I had gotten some real impressive shots with 70-210 zoom macros...I prefer the macro designation for any lens I shoot with as I do not have to worry about getting to close to my subject....with my current Nikon line up 4-6 feet is my limit before toe lenses won't focus because of getting to close and this includes my AIS Nikon lenses (manual focus)......Also do not be afraid of getting the older AIS Nikkors...they are manual focus but tack sharp.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited June 9, 2011
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2011
    Ok- now Im looking more into the extension tubes for my Nikon 85mm f1.8D, which brand is the best- but affordable??

By the way thank you guys so much-love this forum!!
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2011
    Ok- now Im looking more into the extension tubes for my Nikon 85mm f1.8D, which brand is the best- but affordable??

By the way thank you guys so much-love this forum!!

Kenko
    beware , use the ones with contacts , they also exist without ,

with magnify lens you probably aim at diopter filters ?
    not worth it

better use the tubes , as they are cheap , compared to macrolenses
  • Options
    jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2011
    The Tamron 60mm f/2 is another good macro lens for DX cameras that I have not seen mentioned here so far. I just got one yesterday and am still testing it out, but it looks good. It is the only f/2 macro lens that I know of. The extra speed should make it a good portrait lens too.