richyrichy Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited June 10, 2011 in Dgrin Forum Support
x

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2011
    richy wrote: »
    Can we make a stick thread in the sales forums (similar to some of the warnings on craigslist) stating just the facts about using paypal gift for purchases?

Not outright state it must be a con, but stating that paypal gift is intended for just that, and that it lacks the protection normally associated with paypal which is why it is cheaper and therefore leaves the buyer unprotected. I'm not sure if its against their t&c, I would imagine if it costs them money it could be.

I understand smugmugs arms length approach to that area of the forum, but I think it would be prudent place a warning, it may also help discourage the practice of using paypal gift for purchases as the more relaxed people are about it the more likely scammers are to use it.

Just an idea :)

I'm not clear. You're talking about the Flea Market? Or the SmugMug Pro Sales Support forum?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2011
    Can we make a stick thread in the sales forums (similar to some of the warnings on craigslist) stating just the facts about using paypal gift for purchases?

Not outright state it must be a con, but stating that paypal gift is intended for just that, and that it lacks the protection normally associated with paypal which is why it is cheaper and therefore leaves the buyer unprotected. I'm not sure if its against their t&c, I would imagine if it costs them money it could be.

I understand smugmugs arms length approach to that area of the forum, but I think it would be prudent place a warning, it may also help discourage the practice of using paypal gift for purchases as the more relaxed people are about it the more likely scammers are to use it.

The Mod's can do as they see on this one, but to me if you use a service illegally, it serves you right to get-what-you-get. Paypal gift is not for buying.
    tom wise
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 10, 2011
    Richy, as you know, there is already a thread discussing this topic on the first page of the main Flea Market forum.

While we appreciate your concern, DGrin will not get involved with the actual transactions; that is solely between the buyer and seller. As such, we do not wish to start posting guidelines in that regard. Again, the discussion, to which you have contributed, is there and is community driven. We prefer it this way.

Thanks,

EDIT: I reconsidered and added a link to this discussion in our guidelines...
    Using PayPal Gift: this is out of Dgrin's hands, it is up to the buyer and seller to agree on payment terms privately. See community driven discussion on this issue.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2011
    I'm not sure if its against their t&c, I would imagine if it costs them money it could be.

Yes it is against their T&C...in fact if they catch you paying for a PURCHASE......you can be barred from ever using PayPal again and so can the seller.....remember all that personal INFO you give to a service like PayPal....that is how they can permanently bar you....you cannot simply use a different email addy to start a new account, it all ties to bank records...........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website