Options

Wedding Challenge • 05/2011 • "Tripod-Shot"

AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
edited June 11, 2011 in Weddings
Time for a new challenge (hope you were able to defend your cookies from Ted :thumb)

Theme of this challenge: "Tripod-Shot"

A note from Patrick (
tenoverthenose):
With ISO 648000 and f 1.0 glass, it may seem like we don't need tripods anymore for weddings. They are big, heavy, cumbersome and time consuming to use - things that generally are not wedding friendly. I know it took me a long time before I even brought my tripod to a wedding, but when I did it paid in spades. They allow us to do things that simply are not possible otherwise, they force us to slow down and think, to soak in the rich dimly lit colors.

This months contest winner will be the photographer that shows me the most creative use of tripod shot. There are no other rules than that. Think time-lapes, maybe a light painting, maybe multiple exposures, maybe something I haven't even thought of. The point of this is really to push us all creatively to come up with something that we haven't done before. The photographer that pushes the envelope the most will win.

I've uploaded to sample images where I have used a tripod recently. One was a multiple exposure of a couple in a car, the other a long exposure to get the stars. This are only ideas, no need to copy. I can't wait to see what you all come up with!

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE GALLERY

or go to: www.smugmug.com

login: DgrinExtras
password: knockknock

Then go to: Wedding Challenge • 05/2011 • "Tripod shot"

From there you should be able to upload a pic, but let me know if you have any questions (see top right corner / UPLOAD > TO THIS GALLERY)
When you upload a photo, please name it with YOUR NAME, or your nickname (I need to be able to contact you, if you win, so don't make it too hard, haha). Please do NOT upload full res files as I can't take any responsibilities for it and don't want the photo to end up in the wrong hands. Feel free to put your name on the photo.

Once we announce the winner, the top 3 pics will receive a 1st / 2nd / 3rd place badge :D

The CUT-OFF date is May 31st. Patrick will then have time to choose the 3 winners and will announce them by June 2nd :barb

Let me (or Patrick) know if you have any questions.

:lust

Shhhhhht, there are 2 entries allowed per person.
Let's see what you got!!! :lynnma

Comments

• Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    What's a tripod?ne_nau.gifscratch:D
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2011
    fine i will be first... rolleyes1.gif
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2011
    This is a tough one.
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2011
    mmmatt wrote: »
    This is a tough one.

Looks like it...getting a little late...and not much interest.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    I added a couple. Sorry Pat doesn't look like to many folks bring tripods... I like long exposure stuff. Cool shots by the way! Ive got a few more willing couples this year I'll be able to try some new stuff out with.

My collage may not count but 2 of the 5 images are with a tripod.
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    Yeah... I realize this is stepping way out of the normal routine/comfort zone for many. It takes work to carry around a tripod! But I think it is soooo worth it to open up a new photographic world that you may not have played with yet.

I'm loving what is coming in so far - there are two more weekends, so I'm hoping everyone drags out a tripod at least once.

(pssst... google "light painting")
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    I uhhhh.... don't have a tripod... anymore...
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    ssersser Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    99% of the time I never use a tripod but the one I just added is one of my favorites, and only brought it to get that shot
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2011
    Yeah... I realize this is stepping way out of the normal routine/comfort zone for many. It takes work to carry around a tripod! But I think it is soooo worth it to open up a new photographic world that you may not have played with yet.

I'm loving what is coming in so far - there are two more weekends, so I'm hoping everyone drags out a tripod at least once.

(pssst... google "light painting")

Unfortunately I won't have a chance to shoot anything before the end of the month, but it may not be a bad idea to provide a little direct inspiration for those who will.

OK... here is the way I see it! Here is what a tripod is good for:

Multiple exposure shots such as hdr, floating people effects, multiple lighting angles from a single light source, different exposures for different light sources or movements, etc. In this case the pod is keeping the composition consistent but subject movement can screw you up.

Stiched panoramas are super easy from a pod. Just shoot wider than you want your final comp and get 20%+ overlap as you pan, and shoot manual exposure so things are consistently exposed. One click in PS 3 or better and you have a pano that is near perfect. Of course, with a 20+ megapixel camera you can just crop to a pano if you have a wide enough lens for the scene, and the technique works nearly as good just handholding unless it is low light.

Light painting effects. Lots of trial and error here each time you do it. It is difficult to know how much light to add and it is difficult to be consistant in your lighting of each componant. If you aren't used to studio lighting techniques, then proper placement can be challenging as well. This is an art form and takes practice!

Preventing motion blur at long exposures. Only works for non-moving subjects, and with today's technology in lenses, strobes and high iso bodies, there is little need to use a pod this way unless you simply want to.

Adding motion blur to either the subject while keeping a sharp background or the other way around. blurred bride and groom running across a non blurred background or a flashed and unblurred b&g with moving water effects or traffic behind them.

Macro shots. There is no easier way to shoot macro ring shots than with a pod and live view mode. Still, I almost never do this!!

Remote camera. One on the bride throwing the flowers and one on the person catching.

Well, that is all I can think of. Of course none of these uses are really needs, which is why most of us don't really even carry a pod anymore. I keep one in the car, but it doesn't often get pulled out.

Any chance of letting this one go for 2 months? Ha!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2011
    Matt don't forget the other obvious use - a prop in a shot!
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2011
    Matt don't forget the other obvious use - a prop in a shot!

or as a lightstand... boat anchor ha ha.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    mmmatt wrote: »
    This is a tough one.

Yeah especially since I rarely use tripod :/
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2011
    Shima wrote: »
    Yeah especially since I rarely use tripod :/

That's the whole point, practice in the areas that we don't normally practice in to make us better photographers :)
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    Game ON!!!!!!!

(Sigh. May I only enter one? I have too many to choose from...)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2011
    How about monopod? I don't actually own a tripod. (Gasp!)
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2011
    How about monopod? I don't actually own a tripod. (Gasp!)

I think you should just go buy one :)

I guess if you don't have one, start by propping your camera up with something. Set it on the ground, use some rocks, books, pillows, etc. (whatever you can find) to get the job done.

Or just go buy one :)
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    Sine I started using the Rapid Straps, I've had to be really inventive about what I use as "tripods". I've propped my camera on trucks, rocks, my feet...anything that is available -_- They sell an attachment for the rapid straps that lets you use a tripod, but I haven't convinced myself to get it yet.
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    marikris wrote: »
    Sine I started using the Rapid Straps, I've had to be really inventive about what I use as "tripods". I've propped my camera on trucks, rocks, my feet...anything that is available -_- They sell an attachment for the rapid straps that lets you use a tripod, but I haven't convinced myself to get it yet.
    And it isn't for all tripods. Just the one mentioned in the listing on their site. I tried to get dimensions from them to see if it would fit my Benro, but no dice. Jerk.

I'm hoping to get my entry this weekend in one of my two double header weddings.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2011
    Hey guys!

I'll be out of town this weekend (until Monday) but I'll post the winners hopefully on Monday / once I hear from Patrick (Patrick, can you please send me a PM with your fav 3?).

Thanks for your patience!! :D
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2011
    Hey guys!!! Pat send me his top 3s the other day .... I'm just gonna copy paste what he sent me. CONGRATS TO THE WINNERS! Matt ... your turn :D Will you send me a PM with the next theme? Thank you!

1. I can't imagine a couple that wouldn't order a huge print of this. Beyond the fact that it's killer art, it's like money in the bank. Well balanced light, great composition and it's a great shot of the reception.
    ?ui=2&ik=505c09ba50&view=att&th=13068075d3667c33&attid=0.1.1&disp=emb&zw

2. Same thing here - super drama and the couple must love this. My only thought is this COULD have been done without a tripod.
    ?ui=2&ik=505c09ba50&view=att&th=13068075d3667c33&attid=0.1.2&disp=emb&zw

3. I really really love this. I'm a sucker for star trails and this is done so well... the only thing slowing it down is that the foreground (bonfire) is blown out. Maybe blend two exposures next time?
    ?ui=2&ik=505c09ba50&view=att&th=13068075d3667c33&attid=0.1.3&disp=emb&zw
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2011
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    Hey guys!!! Pat send me his top 3s the other day .... I'm just gonna copy paste what he sent me. CONGRATS TO THE WINNERS! Matt ... your turn :D Will you send me a PM with the next theme? Thank you!

1. I can't imagine a couple that wouldn't order a huge print of this. Beyond the fact that it's killer art, it's like money in the bank. Well balanced light, great composition and it's a great shot of the reception.
    ?ui=2&ik=505c09ba50&view=att&th=13068075d3667c33&attid=0.1.1&disp=emb&zw

2. Same thing here - super drama and the couple must love this. My only thought is this COULD have been done without a tripod.
    ?ui=2&ik=505c09ba50&view=att&th=13068075d3667c33&attid=0.1.2&disp=emb&zw

3. I really really love this. I'm a sucker for star trails and this is done so well... the only thing slowing it down is that the foreground (bonfire) is blown out. Maybe blend two exposures next time?
    ?ui=2&ik=505c09ba50&view=att&th=13068075d3667c33&attid=0.1.3&disp=emb&zw
    Laughing.gif, when I entered, I forgot just how difficult it is to pick a theme! Dang.

Thanks, Patrick! I'm flattered at the kind words from someone who is so good especially in this particular respect...

I'll think about a new contest theme this weekend. :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2011
    I'll think about a new contest theme this weekend. :-)

=Matt=

Thanks Matt thumb.gif