Options

DSS #78, first attempt for C&C

silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
edited June 11, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Missed the last challenge, but I think I've got an idea worth pursuing for this one. Comments and suggestions more than welcome. Reshoot is possible, but my hand hurts from all the hot wax, and I'm running out of candles :wink

For your consideration:

Burning Light at Both Ends

DSS-78-Burning-Light-at-Both-L.jpg

Thanks for looking.
- Joe
http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10

Comments

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2011
    Great idea! How about Double Your Fun as a title?

The only suggestion I have is to maybe get a little more light on your face.
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2011
    Thanks!

I did bring it down quite a bit in post and added a gradient. How about without the gradient?

i-htqNtxK-L.jpg

I was also thinking of a B&W with a small sepia tone added in.

i-p5pKx3D-L.jpg
    - Joe
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited June 7, 2011
    Great idea and execution here! I prefer the first shot or darkening the ear (?) in the right side of the second shot. I think the darker treatment is appropriate here but either works for me. The fascination with the light and hint of a smile as well as the way you are holding the candle(s) are all great aspects of this image. Not a big fan of the B&W even with the sepia because you lose the warm quality of the light that is seen in the color versions. Lastly, I like your suggestion of a title as twist on "burning the candle at both ends." Great shot!
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2011
    Thanks Gretchen!

The first one is what I have posted. I'll play around with a little with processing to see what I get.
    - Joe
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    My personal feeling is this style of shooting if reflective of 'stock' imagery. So to me-- needs to be perfect. So with that said, I'm a bit bothered that the flame on the right is undefined. I have an expectation in my mind that flames should all have the shape of the one on the left side of the candle. In both flames, I feel they're probably clipping. So I wonder what they would look like if you pull that brightness back to show some definition in the flame itself? That might look cool.
    Also, I get a bit taken out of the frame with the foreground fingers out of focus. My feeling is that if the intent of the image is to reflect a person burning the candle at both ends, the candle is a main ingredient that may need to be in as sharp a focus as the eyes.
    Then finally, I've got mixed feelings on whether he should be so 'glistening'... :o) He's a bit shiny on his forehead and nose. But again, I'm mixed on whether that plays for me as his 'labor' of burning the candle at both ends.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback, Froch! I'll give some of those ideas a try and see what I come up with.
    - Joe
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2011
    Gotta say that Froch's comments are on point for me, too. The relative size of the foreground subject(s) in such soft focus and with the prominent clipped highlights pull me away from the intensity and importance of the facial expression.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug