Options

Amateur Photos

tbastentbasten Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited June 11, 2011 in Weddings
Hey Everyone. Tell me what you think? I am an amateur and have only done 2 weddings so your critiquing would be greatly appreciated.

Wedding 1
MG0885-L.jpg
MG1222-L.jpg
MG1240-L.jpg
MG0283-L.jpg

Wedding 2
MG0078-L.jpg
MG0111-L.jpg
MG0133-L.jpg
MG0071-L.jpg
IMG0337-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    Liking your wedding 1 post...nice colors...and post processing. Who wouldn't like those. In your number two set...the first and third one look like they could have used some fill flash...you skin tones are too pinky for me.

I would have liked seeing some fill flash from the right in both of them...with the BG just like it is. I also like your #5 in the second set...nice pose and post processing. And, I like your number 2 in the second set...but, it's also a little too pink.

I consistently see poor skin tones from photographers, who's bios,if true, should know better. What's wrong with images that are two red...or off color. Usually, if you take time to access the image, you'll find that not only are the skin tones off, but the most important part of the image is also off, the eyes. Look at your number three. The eyes are dead...red. Now look at your number two in the first set...much better...my favorite. Which photo would you rather look at...the one with the dead red eyes, or the one with the alluring, pretty blue eyes?

Well, that's my two cents.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    Images 2 & 3 from Wedding #2 are the only images that really strike my eye as well-shot, professional images. The rest, in my usually cold and honest opinion, are decent but expose the fact that you're still finding your style. I don't want to sound like I'm coming down on experimentation and practice, because that's the only way to get better, but I must still say that I hope these couples also had a professional photographer, or you at least provided them with a set of un-photoshopped images for their long-term enjoyment? Stylized processing comes and goes, trust me!

In general, there are four things that you need to consider when creating or capturing a portrait- the composition, the timing, the pose, and the light. It seems like you've got a good understanding of each, collectively throughout the whole set of photos, however the next step is to try and bring 3-4 elements together in one shot, consistently. That is the mark of experience and skill- consistently achieving a high standard all across the board. :-)

If you think I was harsh, don't worry, sometimes I'm even cold enough to tell a photographer that they should actually put away their camera (in professional environments, that is) ...and leave the once-in-a-lifetime stuff to those with more experience. (Professional or not) However I definitely think you're doing VERY well for your first two weddings, and I'll look forward to seeing improvement.

Take care!
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    tbastentbasten Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2011
    Hi Matthew,

Thanks for you say, I really appreciate it. Yeah I know what you mean, I am still trying to find the style that suits me. Regarding the weddings, the second one I was just a tag along photographer. It turns out that they were more happier with my photos then their photographers. The first one I was the only wedding photographer. I gave them all the photos (they are my friends) and it turns out that the ones they liked were not the ones I would have picked. Funny how that works hey.

Thanks for tips anyway. I think the more weddings I do, the better I will get
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2011
    tbasten wrote: »
    Hi Matthew,

Thanks for you say, I really appreciate it. Yeah I know what you mean, I am still trying to find the style that suits me. Regarding the weddings, the second one I was just a tag along photographer. It turns out that they were more happier with my photos then their photographers. The first one I was the only wedding photographer. I gave them all the photos (they are my friends) and it turns out that the ones they liked were not the ones I would have picked. Funny how that works hey.

Thanks for tips anyway. I think the more weddings I do, the better I will get
    It happens ALL the time, actually. I've been shooting for years and clients STILL pick the most random photos as their favorites. It has everything to do with how they see THEMSELVES, and the slightest bit of arm fat or double chin, etc. etc. can ruin the most perfect lighting / composition. So, that's one thing I'm ALWAYS going to be working on haha...

Going forward, I would definitely recommend shooting under the guidance of a more experienced professional. Not because you're less qualified, but because honestly it is just a GREAT learning experience; your photography and interpersonal skills will improve by leaps and bounds compared to if you learned everything on your own. Even after shooting solo for years, when I first started shooting with other photographers it was a new epiphany every single time.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2011
    In the first set I like #3, and in the second #1, though #3 is cropped too much on the left and bottom, I think. I keep coming back to #1 in set 2, possibly I think because of the feeling of serenity in it. However, the location in that one is not so flattering. I think with good treatment it could work better as a b&w. I would bring out the figures and vignette the rest, except for keeping the luminance in the sky.

Something I like about them all is that they don't gush. No wet lip mouth kisses, no heavy breathing, no bedroom groom-over-bride poses, no exertion to smile to the extreme possible, to run and jump, to dive into the lake, to run barefoot through the vineyard, no camera down the bride's cleavage, and so on. This reserved style in itself will fall flat for some North American eyes, which need the jumping out of their skins, out of their shoes and nearly out of their clothes, right there in your face!mwink.gifrofl

So, I like your more poised and serene style with its eye for grace, beauty and understated emotion. I would say keep that. As far as improvements are concerned, my opinion is that some of your cropping is not totally successful; some of your backgrounds don't help your idea (eg #5 in set 2 is a beautiful b&w but the background is too harsh, also there's a random arm going out of frame); and that you tend to use too risky light than is ideal - the light has to be more on your side, I think.

You have a good eye and a basic style I like.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix