Options

#78 Part two

MammaPaparazzaMammaPaparazza Registered Users Posts: 221 Major grins
edited June 12, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
well the other one I posted is what I want to work with, but I got this one last night too, it was in incredible sunset...the sun was a beautiful pinkish orange... I dont' know which ones I want to work with, the eternal light is the one I feel strongest about but I need to do something more with processing-

01.jpg
Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively. - Dalai Lama XIV
It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)

Comments

• Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2011
    Just look at that SUN! You can feel the humidity seeping through the computer monitor. Great image, I think.....
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2011
    I'm having trouble with anything that would help in the choice between your first post and this shot. They are so different and yet each has a compelling reason to be your choice.

In my experience, since this is mostly about learning and improving for me, when the comments aren't conclusive, or when I have trouble picking, I end up working a bit on each of the images I'm considering. In the end I go with my gut, my personal preference and wait to see what the comments and votes reveal.

FWIW, if the file size can support it, I'd be interested in seeing some tighter crops on your sunset.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2011
    billseye wrote: »
    I'm having trouble with anything that would help in the choice between your first post and this shot. They are so different and yet each has a compelling reason to be your choice.

In my experience, since this is mostly about learning and improving for me, when the comments aren't conclusive, or when I have trouble picking, I end up working a bit on each of the images I'm considering. In the end I go with my gut, my personal preference and wait to see what the comments and votes reveal.

FWIW, if the file size can support it, I'd be interested in seeing some tighter crops on your sunset.

will do, lets see if I can get it...I'm gonna have to see what I can do since I like the pink/orange light in the sky too...
    It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2011
    more then this?
    I don't know about this crop...maybe it's the vingette...dunno. blah.
    01cropving.jpg
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2011
    I see the attraction to the upper edge of pink sky... Perhaps a portrait crop or a square with the sun at the lower left rule of thirds intersection?

Bottom line is that its a dramatic photo any way you crop it!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2011
    I like the crop better but I would definitely lose the vignette, the sun is bold enough on its own and that just makes the scene look unnatural. And actually maybe crop less sky because it has that gradient to it in the uncropped one.
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2011
    ok, I'll give it a portrait crop to keep the sky...and lose the vingette :)
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2011
    well, here is what I came up with cropping it in regards to the rule of 3rds.
    this was not easy because I didnt want to lose the orange in the sky...
    but how is this now? should I enlarge it and then crop it?
    01portcrop.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2011
    Enlarged
    01portcropenlarge.jpg