Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    Applecare is awesome.

My wife travelled to visit her mom, and at the last minute stuck her 15" Macbook Pro in her checked luggage. Of course, the display cracked.

She went to the Apple store where she was visiting her mom, and they're going to repair the display at no charge under applecare and then ship it out to us at our home address.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2011
    Just giving you all some info/warning re: MACDefender:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1146178
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2011
    I was thinking of putting a full set of 16 gb of RAM from Crucial to upgrade my i7 iMac. However, reading the interwebs, others seemed to run into issues of the iMac restarting itself among other things. Is this with just Crucial RAM or is it a universal issue? Should I look into a different brand of RAM?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2011
    I'm surprised there hasn't been any comment here yet regarding the Steve Jobs and Co presentation this week. I realise all three of the product offerings have been foreshadowed to a greater or lesser extent, but there is now an overall information architecture marked out by iOS5, Lion and iCloud (and the hardware products) that sets the agenda for Apple for the next decade at least. As an Apple user it all looks good to me.

The Windows 8 project will have had the blow torch turned up on it even further to come up with something very significant and fast in response, but I can't see how any other single competitor has enough of the pieces to respond. Steve Ballmer must surely be expecting to receive his marching orders some time very soon.

What's the reaction out there (Apple users only)?
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited June 9, 2011
    For me, Lion was the inevitable "next step" with respect to Mac operating systems. iCloud? Sort of the same thing. What it does long term allows for many cool things. Some of which we haven't seen yet--and that's what's most interesting to me.

I have to say that Jobs' appearance at the Cupertino City Council meeting was far more interesting. Apple's announced it's new campus plans which include a giant spaceship like building--four stories in height housing 12,000 employees with most of the parking underground. The design uses a natural gas co-generation plant (cleaner power generation), restores about 3,000 trees to the site making it much more like it was in the early 1970's (apricot orchards, oaks, etc.). From the renderings, the building appears less intrusive than it's numbers suggest.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2011
    Bono called Steve Jobs "The Dali Lama" of integration" in a video clip in a keynote speech a few years ago. He certainly earned that title this year.

I have a macpro, mbp, iPhone and iPad. I think most people have the same, desktop, laptop, iphone / ipod touch and / or iPad.

If the iCloud works as intended, I won't have to manually sync any of these devices. I use mobileme to sync calendars, contacts and email at present. Having purchases, photos, books, etc synced will be brilliant.

calendar sharing, mail improvements (threaded conversations) iMessage, are some of the features I'm looking forward to.

Lion server, as an add on, is something I'm looking forward to playing with. It should be cheap, I didn't want to pay €600 for a copy of snow leopard server, just to experiment with it.

all the above imho :)
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2011
    My concern about all the iCloud hype is how it is going to handle selective synching or is it just going turn up my WiMax bills? I might not want things to sync everywhere but still have it on the cloud. Or be able to decide how and when. I understand that these can be user controlled but if it is not easy, well it is not good.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • pmaxwellpmaxwell Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2011
    I am running iOS 5 and I like it. There is only limited iCloud functionality right now, but getting things you bought on the phone without syncing is great.

my primary concern right now is how to deal with a family of iOS devices (wife and daughter) have them too. We share a single AppleID so that we can easily share apps and music, but we want selective iCloud syncing. i.e, my wife doesn't want all my work contacts showing up on her iphone, etc.

I will be trying the photosyncing soon to see if it offers a legitimate short term backup system.
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2011
    ian408 wrote: »
    For me, Lion was the inevitable "next step" with respect to Mac operating systems. iCloud? Sort of the same thing. What it does long term allows for many cool things. Some of which we haven't seen yet--and that's what's most interesting to me.

I have to say that Jobs' appearance at the Cupertino City Council meeting was far more interesting. Apple's announced it's new campus plans which include a giant spaceship like building--four stories in height housing 12,000 employees with most of the parking underground. The design uses a natural gas co-generation plant (cleaner power generation), restores about 3,000 trees to the site making it much more like it was in the early 1970's (apricot orchards, oaks, etc.). From the renderings, the building appears less intrusive than it's numbers suggest.

I saw the Cupertino piece. It was a good watch. It surprised me that Steve is not up to speed on current knowledge for air pollution. Building a new office near to a major highway, cement plant, and building an own natural gas power station on-site is exposing workers to high levels of ultrafine particles. As far as ultrafines go there is not much to choose between coal fired and gas fired generation and it is ultrafines which are thought to be the biggest danger to health because they are absorbed directly through the lungs and into the brain and other vital organs. One of the Cupertino councillors seemed to know this. I am confident Apple will have state-of-the-art filters for indoor air quality but I would not like to spend too much time walking among the newly planted trees.

Back on topic, I loved the announcements. I was wondering whether I needed Lion because SL works so well - now I am convinced. I-Cloud is a logical next step too and I hope it is more useful than mobile-me - it seems so. I suspect I'll be switching to even more Apple software in the future. Good that mail is taking a step forward to catch-up with gmail - this is one function I would like properly integrated.

I liked the point about families from pmaxwell - my family is now following me into Apple land and it is annoying that we cannot share music or books we bought like we did in the old paradigm.

It was a shame to see Steve looking ill. He is one guy who deserves to live to 110. I hope his condition has not been aggravated by the air quality in Cupertino. I wish him well ..
    edited June 13, 2011
    I liked the point about families from pmaxwell - my family is now following me into Apple land and it is annoying that we cannot share music or books we bought like we did in the old paradigm.

You can still sync with the whole family, but to do so you need a common AppleID that was used for purchases.

My issue (and there may be a way to do it that I haven't discovered) is that with 2 Macs, 2 iPhones, 2 iPads I want the following scenario.

All iphones/iPads to share music, application purchases, and calendars throughout the cloud paradigm.

I also want customizable syncing in groups
    Mac A + iPhone A + iPad A should sync contacs photos etc,
    Mac B + iPhone B + iPad B should sync contacs photos etc

There may be a solution through home sharing, but I think that limits music and app purchases to only sync while on the home network.
    edited June 13, 2011
    pmaxwell wrote: »
    You can still sync with the whole family, but to do so you need a common AppleID that was used for purchases.

You can't just authorize your iTunes for multiple accounts like you can now? Really? What's the benefit of sharing one AppleID instead of authorizing your wife/child's computers to use your content?
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited June 13, 2011
    David,
    I preface this by the need to experiment, but from what I am reading you can still do that, but only one ID works for the cloud. So if another ID makes a purchase you wouldn't get it through the cloud rather you would have to wait until you get back to the home network to pick up that purchase.

I plan on playing with this over the next day or two.

BTW, the new iMessage interface is a great new tool as is the new notification center. There is a lot to like in iOS5
    edited June 14, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    You can't just authorize your iTunes for multiple accounts like you can now? Really? What's the benefit of sharing one AppleID instead of authorizing your wife/child's computers to use your content?

David, how do you do this?
    edited June 14, 2011
    David, how do you do this?

I've only done it for music so far, but you just add the music, and when you try to play it it will tell you that it's not authorized on your computer. Put in your wife's (or whoever's) login information, and you are now one of the 5 computers her music is allowed to be played on. Your Apple ID Is still the "master" for your computer, but you are also granted access to the music of the other Apple ID, as well. Each Apple ID can be authorized on up to 5 computers.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited June 14, 2011
    edited July 20, 2011
    Wow - the Lion upgrade isn't a trivial exercise! :D
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited July 21, 2011
    Wow - the Lion upgrade isn't a trivial exercise! :D

That comment requires some expanded details of your experience. deal.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • omiroshomirosh Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 21, 2011
    Has anyone had a chance to work with Phothoshop CS5 in new Mac OS Lion yet? I keep reading stuff how it stopped working for some people after the upgrade, so I am waiting for more information. Thanks!
    edited July 21, 2011
    David_S85 wrote: »
    That comment requires some expanded details of your experience.
    It took me over an hour and a half to download and install the update, including what seemed an interminable time for my Mail archives to be updated.

While the process works fine, I wouldn't recommend starting the update unless you have the time to complete it - overnight, perhaps! :D

What has been the experience of others? ne_nau.gif
    edited July 21, 2011
    I haven't done a big upgrade past 10.6.6. The last time my monitor turned itself off at re-boot up (I had all sleep and hibernate options off before to prevent that) and I couldn't see what should be a progress bar and an install complete indicator, so I didn't know if and when it finished. That was a bad feeling to say the least. I might just make an appointment at a local Apple store and have them do it with my Apple Care service. At least I'll get what I paid for and I'll be pretty sure the upgrade takes. I don't relish toting in my monitor or the Mac Pro, but I don't want to lose my stuff.
    My Smugmug
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited July 22, 2011
    omirosh wrote: »
    Has anyone had a chance to work with Phothoshop CS5 in new Mac OS Lion yet? I keep reading stuff how it stopped working for some people after the upgrade, so I am waiting for more information. Thanks!
    Adobe has acknowledged some problems with Photoshop and Lightroom under 10.7: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/905/cpsid_90508.html There are workarounds for some, but not all of the problems. If I have understood the document properly, the most serious problem seems to be that Photoshop CS2 and earlier will not run at all on Intel-based Macs, as Apple has removed Rosetta support in Lion. This should not impact users of CS3 and later versions. However, if you do a Google search, you will find reports of problems with later versions that have not yet been acknowledged by Adobe.

As a card-carrying computer curmudgeon, I always recommend waiting a few weeks before installing a new version of any product, just to give the bugs a chance to come out and play on somebody else's machine. deal.gif
    edited July 23, 2011
    Lion
    Did the Lion upgrade yesterday and it works sweetly.

My trust in Apple is high, so apart from updating my apps to the latest level, I did not take any precautions like an extra back-up. With my PCs I would always wait a long while before changing the OS, if I ever did. It is quite unlike me to jump straight in but I am getting convinced that Apple "simply works".

Downloading was slow to get started. Those servers were being hammered. I also discovered a loose cable on my router which was cutting my speed. Finally the download started to roar along and the installation was a breeze - I think one click? Within an hour my Lion was running.

My MBP is the base Core 2 Duo from mid-2009, although 2.8GHz with a graphics processor. I was a bit concerned that things might go a bit slower with the new OS but no worries - everything is as snappy as it was under SL.

Lion is well worth the money - lots of little changes that make using the computer an even better experience. Some people spent quality time improving something that was already excellent and a big thanks to them. I would encourage anybody to make the switch and don't wait. The only thing to check is that your key apps will work under Lion - some old stuff is no longer supported - and your processor is at least Core 2 Duo.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2011
    Holding off on Lion for my desktop, but I did download it on my laptop. I personally do not see any immediate benefits. What about you?

I use Aperture plus Nik software plugins for all my editing.
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2011
    Lion is the first thing from Apple in a few years that has me getting excited and rather geeky. Yes, the initial impression was 'what change?' but once I started reading up and fiddling around with things, I'm REALLY enjoying 'swiping' for all my movements (since I'm primarily laptop based, huge WIN here), using "Mission Control" (we'll ignore the lame name), full screen and a number of other features. I haven't been able to play with AirDrop yet (need a second mac for that) but I've heard from friends who love it. There's a few bugs I'm sure they'll tackle soon but so far I like the idea of really changing the entire interface (mouse vs. pad) in how I work through my screens.
    //Leah
    edited July 29, 2011
    I am really liking the gesture controls from my macbook.

My laptop is a 15in, so I am really looking forward to more third party apps supporting full screen (listen up adobe and microsoft).

Mission control is a big improvement over expose and spaces is pretty much the same (after you learn to set it up as that isn't intuitive).

Mail was a HUGE improvement, conversation view is awesome, but I'm sticking with outlook until I get the option to not mark something as read when the selection changes.
    edited July 29, 2011
    dlplumer wrote: »
    ...I use Aperture plus Nik software plugins for all my editing.

So Aperture is fully functional after the Lion conversion? (and the plugins?) If so, we can check off another app for compatibility.
    My Smugmug
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2011
    Hello Apple Peoples-

So I just tried my first trip without my MacBook Pro and only using the iPad2. I have the camera connector kit so I was able to view the images I shot. What I was not able to figure out how to do was how to backup to the cloud the full size/original files. Has anyone found a good solution for that? I also did not find an easy way to upload 24 images to SmugMug without having to select one at a time in SmugShot and as Andy said, they are not full resolution.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited August 10, 2011
    I'm going to be traveling at the end of the month and my primary net access will be with a 3G iPad. I assume it's going to have Safari on it. Is there any reason to install TapaTalk? Anyone know the current status of Skype on an iPad?

TIA.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    I'm going to be traveling at the end of the month and my primary net access will be with a 3G iPad. I assume it's going to have Safari on it. Is there any reason to install TapaTalk? Anyone know the current status of Skype on an iPad?

TIA.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skype-for-ipad/id442012681?mt=8

Safari on iPad works great for Dgrin.
    edited August 10, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    thumb.gif Thanks.