26.jpg
166creativeblurLORE.jpg
235retro.jpg
255.jpg
301Hollywoodglow.jpg
347.jpg
379Hollywood.jpg
447untouched.jpg

Most of these are heavily processed...The bride wanted some artsy/ old movie flare...how are they for my first set? She loved them, but for my sake...give it to me...:rofl
Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively. - Dalai Lama XIV
It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)

Comments

• Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2011
    That was very sweet of you to do this for her. Glad she was happy with them.
    What follows is just because you said you can take it. I know it's hard to give advice because no one wants to hurt feelings, but critique is a key to getting better.

Overall first impression: Friend with camera, definitely not pro level work.
    Light: Misused and misunderstood.
    Posing: Not great, not the worst it could have been either.
    Composition: Needs a lot of work. No application of basics, such as "S" curves, rule of thirds, avoiding visual amputations.

Specifics:
    One : She looks visually cut in half by an ugly gutter or something. Not sure what you were going for there.
    Two: The architecture is stunning, and the composition much better. A more classic, flattering bridal pose would have really elevated this shot.
    Three: not working, IMHO.
    Four: had potential. The posing is flattering. Notice how the light is hitting her gown on the right... You could have either metered for her face and left her where she was, or she could have turned away from the light, then back to it, so as to illuminate her face. She is just very underexposed in the position she is in.
    This image would have benefitted by a rule of thirds crop, if the exposure could be corrected enough to make it savable in post.
    Five: killer shoes! Not the best shot of them, though. Too many distractions, uneven lighting,without leading lines.
    Rule of thirds would do a lot for 6, 7 and 8. These are the best exposed of the group. Standing on a stool, ladder or whatever to get about two feet more height would have helped all three....the background would then be water instead of scraggly trees behind her head on 7 & 8, and would have slenderized her in 6.

Now that you've let me tear these apart, feel free to give it back to me : )! ( I have some stuff up for c & c in another post.)
  • Options
    MammaPaparazzaMammaPaparazza Registered Users Posts: 221 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2011
    haha!!! no way, I appreciate the feedback!!! really!
    I have to tell you tho...these are all super processed too, number 4 I used action that darkened it way up. I'm not really into posing people, I'm more into portrait journalism, posed she is- but by her own standards- she told me she has been watching America's next top model so she did whatever she wanted...lol
    But thanks for all the input and I'll def...keep it all in mind next time I do it!
    Yeah, I've got a bad habit of knocking off limbs...I know your never supp to crop at a joint and try to follow that...i'm getting there, just need some more practice...now that I've got a better camera it should help- I've been taking pictures to avoid this terrible laser line that I found in all my pics, so thats why they are taken the way they are...ever since I saw it, i've been trying to shoot around it...doesn't always work tho. lol

oh and that first pic...that is an old stone bridge, behind the wall is a rail, she was holding onto it. I was below her a bit so no hands..lol
    Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively. - Dalai Lama XIV
    It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2011
    #2 is creative.. imho.

everything else wouldn't make it. Smurfy thank you for great write up.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook