Options

NCAA Baseball Photos

photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
edited June 16, 2011 in Sports
I went to the NCAA baseball super regionals and saw North Carolina vs. Stanford. I had a front row seat across from 1st base and had my Canon 7D and 70-200mm f2.8L with 1.4x. This was my first time taking photos of baseball. C & C are appreciated.

06102011TarHeelBaseball-008-M.jpg

06102011TarHeelBaseball-037-M.jpg

06102011TarHeelBaseball-099-M.jpg

06102011TarHeelBaseball-135-M.jpg

06102011TarHeelBaseball-140-M.jpg

06102011TarHeelBaseball-301-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2011
    For a 1st time shooting baseball and given these are fan shots from the stands I think you did well. You've got action in a number of shots and sharpness is pretty good. The biggest issue is exposure - you let the camera control the exposure and the result is the faces are under-exposed. Faces are critical to compelling images in many cases. So you need to adjust the exposure - either use EC or shoot in manual exposure.

A couple other comments: batters at the plate - the swing/miss shot. In general, showing the catcher/umpire doesn't add much to a shot at the plate - everyone knows they're there so you don't need them for context and they don't add a lot of value. So, either shoot the catcher catching and frame tightly on him or shoot the batter and frame tightly on him. If the batter then you want a shot not showing him missing the ball :) Not picking the shot apart, just something to think about next time. It's cool the first time you time the shot to get the ball in the frame. Next time think about what it is you actually want to show.
  • Options
    photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2011
    NCAA Baseball
    johng wrote: »
    For a 1st time shooting baseball and given these are fan shots from the stands I think you did well. You've got action in a number of shots and sharpness is pretty good. The biggest issue is exposure - you let the camera control the exposure and the result is the faces are under-exposed. Faces are critical to compelling images in many cases. So you need to adjust the exposure - either use EC or shoot in manual exposure.

A couple other comments: batters at the plate - the swing/miss shot. In general, showing the catcher/umpire doesn't add much to a shot at the plate - everyone knows they're there so you don't need them for context and they don't add a lot of value. So, either shoot the catcher catching and frame tightly on him or shoot the batter and frame tightly on him. If the batter then you want a shot not showing him missing the ball :) Not picking the shot apart, just something to think about next time. It's cool the first time you time the shot to get the ball in the frame. Next time think about what it is you actually want to show.

Thanks for the feedback. Concerning exposure, what is EC? I was shooting in Av mode.
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2011
    EC stands for exposure compensation. Your camera's manual and/or google should provide you with information on what exposure compensation is/does.