Options

Going to Blu Domain,but need to keep Smug

WeiselWeisel Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
I'm switching my main website away from Smug, but I want to keep my SMUG proofing and print ordering here.

I was about to switch my Blu Domain website to go live on wednesday (tomorrow) possibly, but then I got to thinking, my URL may not be available, once I switch the domain over to Blu.

My current website here on SMUG is ShaneIrwin Photography.com (spacing intentional)

One of my client's galleries, for example, is http://shaneirwinphotography.com/Clients/Engagement/Daniel/11915569_RNDme

What can I do to keep my SMUG galleries, since the whole "ShaneIrwinPhotography.com" thing is going to be taken by BLU?

Sorry, I'm not too brilliant when it comes to this stuff. Do I need to hire a guru to help me tweak things?
Any comments would help. Thanks mucho!
Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
My Weddings WebsiteBlog

Comments

• Options
    OppsOpps Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    Since you're moving the domain the only way I can come up with is to redirect any original link to your smugmug domains, exactly how this should be done all depends on your new host and the software used.
    --
    Jan Erik Moström
  • Options
    mike.strockmike.strock Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    Weisel wrote: »
    I'm switching my main website away from Smug, but I want to keep my SMUG proofing and print ordering here.

I was about to switch my Blu Domain website to go live on wednesday (tomorrow) possibly, but then I got to thinking, my URL may not be available, once I switch the domain over to Blu.

My current website here on SMUG is ShaneIrwin Photography.com (spacing intentional)

One of my client's galleries, for example, is http://shaneirwinphotography.com/Clients/Engagement/Daniel/11915569_RNDme

What can I do to keep my SMUG galleries, since the whole "ShaneIrwinPhotography.com" thing is going to be taken by BLU?

Sorry, I'm not too brilliant when it comes to this stuff. Do I need to hire a guru to help me tweak things?
    Any comments would help. Thanks mucho!

Shane - You'll need to re-link your links to the new smugmug.com IDs (I assume you are hosting the shaneirwinphotography.com on bluhost, and then will have a shaneirwinphotography.smugmug.com URL here?)

Should be easy enough to do.

Holler if you need assistance, I'm sure there are a few folks here who could help.

Mike.
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2010
    Shane - You'll need to re-link your links to the new smugmug.com IDs (I assume you are hosting the shaneirwinphotography.com on bluhost, and then will have a shaneirwinphotography.smugmug.com URL here?)

Should be easy enough to do.

Holler if you need assistance, I'm sure there are a few folks here who could help.

Mike.

Great! Thanks Mike. I will go ahead and request my new Blue site to go live asap, knowing that my Smug site will still be useable somehow. That's a relief to know. Yes, I'm hosting with Blu as well. ..and yes, they have horrible customer service, but their sites are great for the money.

I'll probably write back on here in a day or two for some help on the switch over. Much appreciated. Good to have friends in SMUG places. thumb.gif
    ~Shane
    Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2010
    FWIW, you didn't ask, but I'll just say, I think you are crazy going with bluhost as opposed to Smugmug. The amount you pay for Smugmug every year for a pro account more than makes up for what they charge for the service.

Mike.
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2010
    FWIW, you didn't ask, but I'll just say, I think you are crazy going with bluhost as opposed to Smugmug. The amount you pay for Smugmug every year for a pro account more than makes up for what they charge for the service.

Mike.

Well, I've taken my Smugmug site to about it's max potential, and it still doesn't look or navigate as nicely as a BluDomain site does. I'm in a very competitive wedding market here in Nashville. I have to have things look top shelf.

Now, with that being said, my new site has gone live today, and so far, the only Smug page of mine that I can't access is my clients page. <---the ONLY page I wanted to keep! grrrr.

I'm so clueless on this stuff. Any ideas anyone? I click on my old "Clients" tab, and nothing. No blank page, no nothing. I need to get this up and running, so I can have proofing and selling and ordering happening! I need to not only get access to that page, but to somehow direct clients there FROM my new Blu site.
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2010
    Well, I've taken my Smugmug site to about it's max potential, and it still doesn't look or navigate as nicely as a BluDomain site does. I'm in a very competitive wedding market here in Nashville. I have to have things look top shelf.

Now, with that being said, my new site has gone live today, and so far, the only Smug page of mine that I can't access is my clients page. <---the ONLY page I wanted to keep! grrrr.

I'm so clueless on this stuff. Any ideas anyone? I click on my old "Clients" tab, and nothing. No blank page, no nothing. I need to get this up and running, so I can have proofing and selling and ordering happening! I need to not only get access to that page, but to somehow direct clients there FROM my new Blu site.

I'm looking at your site, I don't see a 'Clients' tab. Where would that be located?

Mike.
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2010

I see HOME WEDDINGS ABOUT INFO PORTFOLIO 2 CONTACT US and Blog .

Mike.
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2010
    I see HOME WEDDINGS ABOUT INFO PORTFOLIO 2 CONTACT US and Blog .

Mike.

Yes, well that's my new Blu website. It just went up a couple hours ago. My problem now is that I can't access any of my galleries on my SMUG site, which I guess has defaulted to an old URL from before my domain was with them. Now I can see my Smug site at ShaneIrwinPhotography.smugmug.com. This is how I figured it would work, but I can't view ANY of my galleries in Smug now. The main ones I need are my client's galleries so they can order photos. I'm going to redirect a future "clients" button on my new Blu site, to go to my old Smug clients page where they can order.
    I've recently read in another Dgrin thread of someone wanting to do the same thing with their Blu Site, I think. Here's the thread: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=118914&highlight=bludomain

I may try to contact him, unless anyone here has an idea to toss my way.
    I hate that I suck at web tech stuff.
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2010
    Customize the link in the control panel on smugmug under 'clients' to read "http://shaneirwinphotography.smugmug.com/clients/&quot; . That should resolve that issue.
  • Options
    SpeakoffSpeakoff Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    What the **** is a linux hosting account and my FTP IP and host name??
    I'm also attempting to integrate BluDomain and Smug, while keeping my Smug proofing/ordering and slapping Blu's flash site on as a faceplate of sorts. Immediately after I bought my "pre-made" site from Blu, I received a long, convoluted email listing off dozens of "requirements" that I needed to meet in order for them to deliver my site, none of which I understand. The two big ones are:

1. As far as I understand, Smug is going to continue to host my site and Blu is going to format their template for it. But Blu is asking for my FTP IP and host name, username and password. What are these things and where do I find this information?

2. Blu is also telling me I need to "build a LINUX hosting account." What does this mean?

Does anybody know what they're talking about and would mind helping me? Smug has never failed to provide excellent, courteous and timely customer service (with good grammar and punctuation to boot).
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2011
    FTP is a protocol for sending files over the internet, I think they want the login info for your hosting service so they can install (??) something

It looks like their software requires that you are hosting your domain on a linux server (linux = operating system).

A quick look at the site suggests that you might have bought the software but not hosting, so you need to find somewhere to host you site.

(but I'm just guessing)
    --
    Jan Erik Moström
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2011
    Opps wrote: »
    FTP is a protocol for sending files over the internet, I think they want the login info for your hosting service so they can install (??) something

It looks like their software requires that you are hosting your domain on a linux server (linux = operating system).

A quick look at the site suggests that you might have bought the software but not hosting, so you need to find somewhere to host you site.

(but I'm just guessing)

My new BluDomain site hasn't gone live yet, so what you see is my original Smug site. Who is my hosting service then, for Smugmug? I thought Blu would just use what I've already got and add their templates to it?
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2011
    I didn't check your site but Blu Domain, it looks like it's possible to buy either the software or software + hosting.

Smugmug isn't a hosting service, it's a photo storage/sharing service. There is no FTP access and you can't install Blu Domains software on Smugmug.

So you either have to host your domain with Blu Domain or get some other hosting provider.
    --
    Jan Erik Moström
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2011
    I didn't check your site but Blu Domain, it looks like it's possible to buy either the software or software + hosting.

Smugmug isn't a hosting service, it's a photo storage/sharing service. There is no FTP access and you can't install Blu Domains software on Smugmug.

So you either have to host your domain with Blu Domain or get some other hosting provider.

I guess I sort of understand. Sooo, who is hosting my current smugmug site if smugmug isn't?
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2011
    A hosting company is a company that provides you with an account where you can install and host almost any kind of web application. Smugmug isn't such a company, it's specialized in photo sharing and runs it's own software on it - so you buy a service + space on Smugmug site for your photos. So Smugmug isn't a general hosting company which allows you to install software.

So your current site in on Smugmugs servers.
    --
    Jan Erik Moström
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2011
    A hosting company is a company that provides you with an account where you can install and host almost any kind of web application. Smugmug isn't such a company, it's specialized in photo sharing and runs it's own software on it - so you buy a service + space on Smugmug site for your photos. However, Smugmug isn't a general hosting company which allows you to install software.

So your current site in on Smugmugs servers.

OHHHHHHHHHH. I get it now. Wow. I never new this. Thanks, Opps. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes
  • Options
    Fly_AndeeFly_Andee Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 16, 2011
    Bludomain and smugmug
    I'm having the same problem trying to integrate BluDomain and Smug, I would like to keep my Smug proofing/ordering and essentially use Blu's flash site on my smugmug page as a face. Is the consensus that I have to host through a different site, then link to smugmug? Has anyone had success with integrating these two? So far I've spent $40 on a domain, etc, $120 on smugmug, and I'm planning to spend $50 on bludomain. Do I have to spend another $80 a year on external hosting? (I've heard bludomain has horrible customer service, so I won't be hosting through them). Is there an easier way to get the same look on smugmug without shelliing out $350 for a designer to do it? Thanks for any tips you have!! So far this is what I have on smugmug:

http://www.photographybykiss.com/

And this is love to have something like your site, Elizabeth:

http://elizabethdavisphoto.com