Options

How well does this work?

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited June 18, 2004 in Technique
Can't decide whether this is one of my best or one of my worst. Does it work for you?

5117214-L.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Can't decide whether this is one of my best or one of my worst. Does it work for you?
    Intriguing but somehow I don't think it works. Maybe too busy?
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2004
    IMHO, the kid is cute and in a nice position. The reflection in the windshield is prominent, but doesn't tell a story, so becomes a distraction rather than an enhancement. If it told a story, you'd have a nice multi-layer image. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2004
    re best or worst, LoL
    rutt wrote:

I can't decide if it works, and I don't know your other work that well, hahaha.
    Could be your best, but I rather doubt it.

I can't get excited about it. That kind of thing is dicey, IMO, and needs to be spot on. This misses.................... somewhere. I think.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    IMHO, the kid is cute and in a nice position. The reflection in the windshield is prominent, but doesn't tell a story, so becomes a distraction rather than an enhancement. If it told a story, you'd have a nice multi-layer image. ne_nau.gif
    Yeah, I agree with that as a criticism of the shot as narrative. I liked the shot as a composition and I liked the colors of the reflections. So it could be better, no doubt. It's hard to make the reflections works as narrative, but they are something you see all the time...
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    rutt wrote:

I can't decide if it works, and I don't know your other work that well, hahaha.
    Could be your best, but I rather doubt it.

I can't get excited about it. That kind of thing is dicey, IMO, and needs to be spot on. This misses.................... somewhere. I think.

ginger
    Thanks, Ginger. Faulkner said, "The parent loves his problem child best." Maybe that's what's going on with me and this picture.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    The way it is it doesn't work for me, but how about this?
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    Thank you. That is an improvement. After all the Cartier-Bresson thought over the weekend, cropping was pretty far from my mind. But I'm certainly not HCB, and so I have to keep it in mind.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    WolfWolf Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    I think this helps, somehow, removing the mirror and the couple walking on the right side of the frame makes the little boy more the focus of the shot. The right side of the frame seemed to be distracting to me, now the child looks more contemplative, like maybe he's thinking of taking that firetruck for a drive... Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    WolfWolf Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2004
    Wolf wrote:
    I think this helps, somehow, removing the mirror and the couple walking on the right side of the frame makes the little boy more the focus of the shot. The right side of the frame seemed to be distracting to me, now the child looks more contemplative, like maybe he's thinking of taking that firetruck for a drive... Just my 2 cents.
    Oops, hope that is a firetruck, if not, just truck!
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2004
    Wolf wrote:
    Oops, hope that is a firetruck, if not, just truck!
    That's part of why I didn't think to crop. I wanted to leave in the firetruck clues. But the cropped image is a much stronger composition.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited June 18, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I like the kid, the fire truck and the obvious wonderment in the child's
    eyes. I think the reflection of the tree spoils what otherwise would be
    a nice picture. I wonder if you diffused the tree's reflection and maybe
    darkened the remainder of the window?

Cropping this would be difficult. Because the FT is very much a part of the
    "story".

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?