Options

Mobile version?

webownerwebowner Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited June 16, 2011 in Dgrin Forum Support
Hello,
I have a pro account...so love SmugMug, and wonder if there is a mobile version of dgrin, that I can download for my like iPhone device?

I know one can access the internet and then just review posts however it would be easier to view and post questions from a compatible program...any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2011
    I use http://www.tapatalk.com/ on my Droid and it looks like there's an iPhone version too. It works a lot better than browser access for dgrin.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2011
    jfriend wrote: »
    I use http://www.tapatalk.com/ on my Droid and it looks like there's an iPhone version too. It works a lot better than browser access for dgrin.

I use the iOS version on my iPad and iPhone - works very well! thumb.gif
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2011
    There has been a suggestion to install the 'Mobile Alabama' vbulletin style, which is designed to be a mobile style for vb-based forums. Then, you'd just be able to use a browser. thumb.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2011
    SamirD wrote: »
    There has been a suggestion to install the 'Mobile Alabama' vbulletin style, which is designed to be a mobile style for vb-based forums. Then, you'd just be able to use a browser. thumb.gif

I don't think we'll do that anytime soon - we have integrated Tapatalk which works great.
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2011
    I didn't think it would. Right now the movement is back to the client after the last two decades of moving everything to the server. Another 20years, and we'll be moving back to the server again. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2011
    richy wrote: »
    The move to apps is about consolidating control over access, the Cupertino lot have actually managed to reinvent the wheel, charge people for it and make them feel good about it simply because it looks pretty :)
    Yep, and people have bought into it hook, line, and sinker. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    webownerwebowner Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2011
    Awesome....thank you so much to those who have replied.

I've just downloaded tapatalk and it works well. It should have been free, but the $2.99 price from iTunes wasn't too bad. Now I can view, review, and respond to Dgrin (and other) forums.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2011
    That is kind of the point I was making :) Implementing a smart mobile theme is free for the forum owner and their users and provides pretty much universal access to any mobile device with a browser. I'm struggling to see the issues with doing it but there must be some.

Right now our hands are more than full in moving to Dgrin 2.0. Free is relative; the cost in time at this point is beyond us. But your feedback is greatly appreciated and will not be ignored. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2011
    Ahh, yes...time...I run into this problem too. :(

It's interesting that deferring the cost of mobility to the users works. I'll need to try it myself. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2011
    SamirD wrote: »

It's interesting that deferring the cost of mobility to the users works.

Maybe you're joking, but this hardly seems like a fair comment directed at an ad-free, completely free service. There are lots of costs we don't take on. We don't buy your computer for you, either! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2011
    No problem. Thank you for the reply! The problem I was having was that (I believe) the header with the 4 pictures and 2 logos would cause the entire page to be reloaded after it had first loaded on mobile browsers (opera and i.e. on wm6.5). On other forums it works perfectly on my cell phone. We do all appreciate the costs that go into keeping a forum online and the time it takes and that is donated by mods.

No worries. I'll bring this to our designer's attention, see if at the very least we can take a look at that and see if we can confirm that behavior and possibly fix it.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Maybe you're joking, but this hardly seems like a fair comment directed at an ad-free, completely free service. There are lots of costs we don't take on. We don't buy your computer for you, either! thumb.gif
    I didn't mean it that way, but from a forum business standpoint. Usually, the forum business model generates revenue from ads or some other stream, so users expect to have the cost of conveniences like mobile accessibility bore by the forum.

I hadn't seen mass adoption of these apps by forum owners, but maybe things have changed and the users are willing to pay for it now.