Options

Batman Angle

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited June 18, 2011 in Sports
I'm really enjoying using a tilted frame for baseball pics. I think it adds some drama to an otherwise not very exciting moment.

lots4tots43-XL.jpg

whitesox127-XL.jpg
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2011
    Normally I'm not to much of a fan of this, but I think these work. You may be onto something, especially for the little ones.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2011
    I think they look really cool.
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2011
    Thanks. I think it's something that most moms and dads with cameras (or phones rolleyes1.gif) won't think to do.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    I agree with IceBear and usually don't like this in sports, but these work really well. After studying them I think the reason they are pleasing is the body position. The first she is a perfect diagonal and appears to be leaning forward to counteract the tilting earth. Her leg is a great lead in to the smile. Second is similar, by tilting a bit you have straightened him up. In both the subject looks better with the tilt, the tilt is not done merely for "creativity" sake. It adds something, not just an effect in and of itself. I think you got this very right....get ready to see more tilted baseball pics posted.....thumb.gif
  • Options
    termina3termina3 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    I find the tilted horizon to be terribly distracting… a "photo killer", honestly.

But hey, if it works for other people--especially customers--awesome.
    Please don't mistake my blunt, pointed posts as my being "angry," "short," or "rude."

I'm generally happy, tall, and fuzzy on the inside.www.NickensPhotography.com
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    Thanks. I think it's something that most moms and dads with cameras (or phones rolleyes1.gif) won't think to do.

I am not a big fan of the tilt. I disagree about parents with cameras. These tilts come naturally for they way they shoot as they don't pay attention to horizons. Usually the big difference between parents and a good sports photography is straight horizons. I think tilted shots would look better for posed action shots.
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2011
    Here's another...

twins048-XL.jpg

Don't worry, I'm not doing it all the time....

twins054-XL.jpg
    -Jack

• Options
    edited June 6, 2011
    jonh68 wrote: »
    I disagree about parents with cameras. These tilts come naturally for they way they shoot as they don't pay attention to horizons.

No. This much tilt would not be "natural" or accidental. It would have to be deliberate.
    -Jack

• Options
    KikopriceKikoprice Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2011
    Im glad your not doing that all the time Jack, you could go blind Laughing.gif. Ill have to give this a try.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2011
    No. This much tilt would not be "natural" or accidental. It would have to be deliberate.

Not from the facebook pics I see.headscratch.gif
  • Options
    BayMareBayMare Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2011
    It works for me as the kids look balanced and not about to tip over. There are some nice, interesting angles captured in the first photo of the little girl, and the third young fellow's back follows the yellow line. If those things were "off" in the picture, it might see haphazard. With the quality of the portrait aspect, I think they work in small doses. Just my .02:)
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2011
    Dutch Angle, which, of course, was used in Batman.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2011
    Not a fan of the angles on these. But, if we all liked the same things, the world would be a boring place...