Options

16 Man Elimination MMA

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited June 20, 2011 in Sports
Last night was weigh ins at a bar in downtown SLC. Tonight is the tournament. This thing should be interesting. One 5min round, winner moves onto next bracket. Should be fast paced action and very cool. 16 guys with 1 winner. All fighters are 155-160lbs.

Some shots from weigh-ins that also happened to involve a bikini contest.....
untitled-shoot-025-XL.jpg

untitled-shoot-074-XL.jpg

untitled-shoot-106-XL.jpg

#4 Here are the a few fighters. The setup for the chicks was my original setup for the fighters. Combined with 2 chicks in the background. That whole idea went down the tubes in the cluster F that ensued. Ended up doing a fake weigh in, with jeans and all. They set up some shop lights to get video. Had to be flexible and make it work for me too.
untitled-shoot-211-XL.jpg

untitled-shoot-220-XL.jpg

untitled-shoot-225-XL.jpg

#7 Here is one more chick for you! Flash for the background overheating at this point.
untitled-shoot-133-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2011
    I'm looking forward to seeing the fight photos, I'm watching the ultimate fighter finale right now and I'm in a total MMA mood. I recently moved and haven't put up a punching bag here yet so I'll settle for watching other people punch each other.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2011
    Finally had time to post these!

i-PCDXrPB-L.jpg

i-Mj6W6Qp-L.jpg

i-MRWRcPd-L.jpg

i-smhLjz2-L.jpg

i-JQX6DDh-L.jpg

#6 In the end, the guys have a lot of respect for each other. Pink haired guy (Steve Sharp) ruled this night. It was one of those rare athletic performances where you see someone do everything perfect. He destroyed 4 guys in under 8 min total. Busted ribs, dislocated shoulder, broken noses. Knockouts and submissions all around. It was amazing.
    i-n2LTFwD-L.jpg

#7 Some more girls for good measure......
    i-mtdjznN-L.jpg
  • Options
    SorinSorin Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2011
    I love that the guy with pink hair and a bay's handprint on his side is the winner. Hard to believe that #5 in the first set and the 2 winners are all under 160 lbs.

So, which lens were you using for the fight shots?
    "I know you don't understand. Let me show you......"
    My Website
    My 50 f/1.8 lives on my Nikon D80 full time.
    Next Lens: Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2011
    Yeah it is hard to believe how much weigh some guys cut. The pink haired dude weighed in at 156. He doesn't really cut much to get there as you can tell looking at him. But the big guy? He is huge. Way taller than me and totally huge. I bet he easily would walk around at 185 or more. But he does it and gets down to 155. His next fight should be an interesting one. He is going up against one of the best 155lb guys in the state in August.

I shot all of these with the 70-200 2.8 VRII. I think I am digging that lens. It is way harder through the cage too. But when everything lines up right, it is a really good perspective. This fence was white. So it sort of lowers the contrast. But on the flipside it also reflects light nicely. It doesn't have teh light fall off of a black fence. They seem to suck the light right out of the areas near them. Settings were 1/1000, f3.2, ISO 10,000
  • Options
    GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2011
    Nice work.

I noticed the white cage. That's a PITA. I much prefer the black cage as it isolates the fighters nicely.

I recently moved to FL from NJ and trying to get involved in the MMA scene down here. It's been a while since I shot a fight. I miss it!!!!
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2011
    Thanks Rick. Yeah the white cage is a blessing and a curse. Great light, weird contrast and halos.
  • Options
    GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    Zerodog wrote: »
    Thanks Rick. Yeah the white cage is a blessing and a curse. Great light, weird contrast and halos.

I can only imagine. Just missing shooting MMA right now. Gotta make some time to get into some shows locally.

Should be shooting a show up in NJ the end of July. We're heading up to visit friends/family and a good friend of mine is fighting in a show. At least I'll get some shooting in... :)