Options

Just wondering..... and venting I guess..

GemGemGemGem Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
edited June 24, 2011 in Weddings
Hi!

I have a couple of wondering questions about wedding photography and what is our responsibility as a photographer.
A friend of mine asked me to photograph her wedding. It was very clearly explained that I had no experience whatsoever with weddings. I did my best explaining, that just because a photographer takes great pictures of say an event or family pictures, etc it does not mean that you can take on a wedding (IMO)... anyway. She did hire me, I charged her just for the lense rental. The MOTB and bridesmaid were designated to help me gather everyone, since I did not know the rest of the family. We had a pre-designated ceremony spot which we went over quickly right before the bride arrived. Everything seemed pretty cool.. then the bride arrived.. The judge moved from the designated spot, he had the bride and groom facing the audience, which I did not expect at all! The Bride and Groom looked wicked awkward. Everyone was supposed to be to the side so I had space to move around.. that did not happen. MOTB completely forgot that part. Ok.. Ceremony was over and I was sweating my A off!! OK.. time for group pictures.. Mom was everywhere greeting people. We only had 1hr to shoot a list of pictures my bride wanted. I asked the bridesmaid to get everyone gathered for the group picture, she went off to find them, but got distracted, so I had to go in and yell group shot! and still then I had to yell some more And here I was sweating again.. people were Everywhere, mom was pulling bride away so she could say hello to Auntie and cousin they had not seen forever.. Anyway.. CRAZY..... Then it was "Rush time" the mom, the cousin, the aunt.. I mean.. everyone was pulling me to get this picture, and that picture.. OMG!!!

How do you wedding photographers handle all that stress!! OMG!!!
I know there was very little organization. Now I know it would have been less stressful for me if I would have suggested a rehearsal and gone over responsibilities with MOTB and Bridesmaid at least three times.

So after all my rambling.. thank you for reading....What advise would you offer me, what is my responsibility. Do I have to choose the ceremony spot? (they asked me to choose it when I got there) Do I need to gather everyone for pictures? etc.....

Another friend asked me to do her wedding.....I am rethinking it though. Her wedding will be a full day (8-10hrs) it may be less crazy, more relaxed.....:dunno But if i decide to do it, I am allowed to take breaks, say, during the reception, obviously after covering all the important happenings?

Thank you so much for reading.

GG

Comments

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    Sounds like you got steamrolled pretty good...I hope there are some good pictures at least :).

Your experience makes a good argument for people hiring professionals, and for people not shooting their friends weddings.
    It really is Russian Roullette...sometimes people get away with it other times everything goes wrong.

Confidence, experience and a passion for the work are hard to fake.
    If you are looking for a relaxed experience and concerned about being able to take breaks....wedding photography may not be for you.

As to your questions:
    It is good if you get to give input as to how the ceremony is set up, normally the photographer does not choose the ceremony location.
    No it should not be your job to gather everyone for pictures, the Drill Sergeant of the family needs to do that, and the people should already know where they need to be and when for pictures before the ceremony starts.
    Normally there is a chance to sit down during the meal time. I prefer to use that time for shooting details and the rings.
    Also during the reception there are chances to sit for a few minutes.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    Well I hope your bride is thrilled with the results, that will help soften your intro to weddings. I have only shot 2 small small weddings.. and a big 28 member family shoot.. and in each situation at some point the planners deviate from what they told me they wanted, so in each case I got to the point where I was set up taking some of the standard shots and people began to pepper me with different combos of people they wanted photographed, I answered YES I can do that but YOU have to bring them and I will shoot any combo you want, but YOU put them in front of me. There is only so much a one person vendor can do. That seemed to work out OK for me, and these were all very low budget events.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    GemGem wrote: »
    How do you wedding photographers handle all that stress!! OMG!!!
    I know there was very little organization. Now I know it would have been less stressful for me if I would have suggested a rehearsal and gone over responsibilities with MOTB and Bridesmaid at least three times.

My approach for weddings is very different than others, but it sounds like you need to manage your expectations. You planned things out and hoped for the best - that's okay, but it rarely works out.

At weddings I rarely plan anything out. I adapt and change to the situations as they come up - I take a reactionary approach to the day and roll with the punches. So when the ceremony doesn't work out like you had in mind, think quick and find the best shots. Find new angles that are better than what you had previously thought was possible. Sweat more, work harder than you planned.

And don't forget to laugh :)
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2011
    . So when the ceremony doesn't work out like you had in mind, think quick and find the best shots. Find new angles that are better than what you had previously thought was possible. Sweat more, work harder than you planned.
    And don't forget to laugh :)

I like thisthumb.gif. I did laugh, but I think i sweat more. Good think double loaded on my faithful "Secret" deodorant!
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2011
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    Well I hope your bride is thrilled with the results, that will help soften your intro to weddings. I have only shot 2 small small weddings.. and a big 28 member family shoot.. and in each situation at some point the planners deviate from what they told me they wanted, so in each case I got to the point where I was set up taking some of the standard shots and people began to pepper me with different combos of people they wanted photographed, I answered YES I can do that but YOU have to bring them and I will shoot any combo you want, but YOU put them in front of me. There is only so much a one person vendor can do. That seemed to work out OK for me, and these were all very low budget events.

Thank you VayCayMom. My friend had a very tight budget as well. Small wedding, but the chaos made it seem HUGE to me. When ppl were peppering me up to get shoots, they will pull me away from the bride, then start getting everyone.. I just kept thinking.. stay with the Bride and get her shots. Just thinking about it makes me sweat!
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    Sounds like you got steamrolled pretty good...I hope there are some good pictures at least :).

Your experience makes a good argument for people hiring professionals, and for people not shooting their friends weddings.
    It really is Russian Roullette...sometimes people get away with it other times everything goes wrong.

If you are looking for a relaxed experience and concerned about being able to take breaks....wedding photography may not be for you.

As to your questions:
    It is good if you get to give input as to how the ceremony is set up, normally the photographer does not choose the ceremony location.
    No it should not be your job to gather everyone for pictures, the Drill Sergeant of the family needs to do that, and the people should already know where they need to be and when for pictures before the ceremony starts.
    Normally there is a chance to sit down during the meal time. I prefer to use that time for shooting details and the rings.

This is all very well said Zoomer. Gem, it really is about commanding respect and if you have to go yelling at people then you didn't have that control. Confidence and experience are what people respond to, but stress and confusion are things people will try to avoid. If the people don't want pictures that is their prerogative. Tell the bride and then wait. It is pretty common to do all that stuff in a fraction of the time that was allotted... typical even.

You really can't count on breaks, or schedules, or people remembering to do what you told/asked them to do. Wedding photography is often seat-of-your-pants crazyness and not for people who get stressed easily. That is why pros aren't cheap! My typical meal, like Z says is shooting rings and whatnot. I tell the person I am sitting next to to "make sure that I get food when the bring it around" and then I bop back and forth to the table cramming each course in my mouth as they come. All the while shooting speeches, rings, and ding ding ding kisses. There just isn't any relaxing until you are home, and even then you need to start downloading cards and making backups right away just in case! Sundays I am a puddle!

I know that when I get stressed, my work suffers and my subjects respond negativly to my stress. Luckily I don't often get stressed, so I don't really ever have to deal with that. My wedding last weekend I injured my leg and it was very uncomfortable for me to walk after about half way through the day, but I still shot the reception and even dragged the couple away from the reception to do some night time shots in front of the state capitol building. I was wincing in pain, but I HAD to shoot the event. I HAD to keep going and keep my cool. Last summer I had my battery pack attached to both my flash and my belt and then walked away after setting down my camera and dragged nearly $5k worth of gear down concrete steps. Lens was smashed, body all scratched up, nothing worked... I grabbed the backups and shot it anyways. When people saw that I wasn't stressed about it they got down to business and we had an awesome shoot.

Things like that happen and if you are stessing about having to reposition at the ceremony or getting families together for group shots, then I'm going to say with a level of certainty that you won't make it as a wedding photographer. I'm just saying... It isn't for everyone, and being a good shooter isn't enough. Based on your post though, I think this is what is going through your mind too!
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »

As to your questions:

Zoomer, thank you! I think you are right, I could not see myself pulling an 8-10hr wedding. I would however, stay open for smaller and shorter weddings. I know I learned sooo much from this one hr! I will also practice things like tenoverthenose suggested, which seems very common sense, but once the pressure is added that is another story.

Regarding your comment about shooting friend's weddings.. You are right I have known her for a long time, so I had to keep reminding myself I was documenting, since I found myself being in the moment with her rather than capturing it for her.. so that was tough. I do believe, she will be happy with her pictures... I will however ask her to buy me a secret deodorant for her November reception! rolleyes1.gif
    :)
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2011
    mmmatt wrote: »

My wedding last weekend I injured my leg and it was very uncomfortable for me to walk after about half way through the day, but I still shot the reception and even dragged the couple away from the reception to do some night time shots in front of the state capitol building. I was wincing in pain, but I HAD to shoot the event. I HAD to keep going and keep my cool. Last summer I had my battery pack attached to both my flash and my belt and then walked away after setting down my camera and dragged nearly $5k worth of gear down concrete steps. Lens was smashed, body all scratched up, nothing worked... I grabbed the backups and shot it anyways. When people saw that I wasn't stressed about it they got down to business and we had an awesome shoot.

Oh my goodness mmmatt! sorry to hear that :( hope your leg is feeling better now.
    I am pretty good with stress, but it was just not what I expected at all.. I will do other small weddings, I learned TONS from this experience. I think all that could go wrong was covered in this one hour! lol