MolsondogMolsondog Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
edited January 23, 2004 in Cameras
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    gypsy77360gypsy77360 Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2004
    Nikon stuff
    Having last year sprung for a Nikon N90S set-up w/4 lenses ( including 80-200 f2.8 AF-D) ,Pelican case , tripod , flash , I am also looking to add a Nikon D100 this year. Currently shooting film and getting CD digital for archiving , photoshop and web.
    I have read somewhere the D100 is "better" than D70 in several areas except price. However the D100 price for camera body only is about what I paid for whole 35mm package. I seem to remember that the D70 is lacking in "heft" and has a "cheaper" feel about it. I like a rugged camera that can go places and survive in less than ideal environs.
    I think somewhere in these links you will find a review on the new D70:
    http://www.nikonlinks.com/
    http://www.dpreview.com/
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2004
    Molsondog wrote:
    The Canon Digital Rebel looks cool but seems cheaply built.

I'm no guru. But when I hefted the Digital Rebel (aka canon 300D) last week, it didn't seem that flimsy to me. Yeah, it's mostly plastic. But it felt solid. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I'm no guru. But when I hefted the Digital Rebel (aka canon 300D) last week, it didn't seem that flimsy to me. Yeah, it's mostly plastic. But it felt solid. ne_nau.gif

I think it is a great deal for the price, put the money towards a better lens or save it for a newer model?
  • Options
    LensLens Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited January 22, 2004
    New Owner of the Nikon D100
    I just made the (large investement in the Nikon D100)..and took it to Hawaii for 7 day's to get a real work out..used all the Programs..and took extensive notes on the performace..I also own a Nikon 8008's that I use for my Affordable Wedding Photography Buys...the lens I use are workable with the D100 which is the main reason I stayed with Nikon ...the D100 works excellent with my 28-85 Nikor Lens..in all the modes..also my SB25 as well..except for (Red Eye)..but a Photography who knows ...has no real problem with over coming that...also the Niknon feels good..and has a lot of control over your Photography...I used it and very happy I made the investement...I have made numerous color 4x6 Prints from my Digital Images I took while in Hawaii..I found out bye using the setting in (Fine) and L for large..you have better control over the sharpness and other aspects of the final print..I printed them on a hp photosmart 240 series...Again a (bit pricy)..but well worth the bucks..the bottom line is one gets what one pay for..so take that into consideration...it may hurt a little to pay the extra bucks..but the final result is completed satisfacation with the D100..

Lens 60
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Did you pick up a 10D at the same time?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2004
    I *almost* bought a D100, but went with the 10D after fondling them at the same time. The ergos of the Canon just fit me better. Everytime I picked up the Nikon, my thumb would hit some buttons on the back. Aside from that, I was a bit skitterish of the issues I read on the net about flash exposure problems. The cost-effective move would have been to get the Nikon, since I've got some Nikon glass already. Oh well...you pays your money and you takes your chances. I love my Canon. I'm sure I'd love the Nikon if I chose it.

I just made the (large investement in the Nikon D100)..and took it to Hawaii for 7 day's to get a real work out..used all the Programs..and took extensive notes on the performace..I also own a Nikon 8008's that I use for my Affordable Wedding Photography Buys...the lens I use are workable with the D100 which is the main reason I stayed with Nikon ...the D100 works excellent with my 28-85 Nikor Lens..in all the modes..also my SB25 as well..except for (Red Eye)..but a Photography who knows ...has no real problem with over coming that...also the Niknon feels good..and has a lot of control over your Photography...I used it and very happy I made the investement...I have made numerous color 4x6 Prints from my Digital Images I took while in Hawaii..I found out bye using the setting in (Fine) and L for large..you have better control over the sharpness and other aspects of the final print..I printed them on a hp photosmart 240 series...Again a (bit pricy)..but well worth the bucks..the bottom line is one gets what one pay for..so take that into consideration...it may hurt a little to pay the extra bucks..but the final result is completed satisfacation with the D100..

Lens 60
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited January 22, 2004
    fish wrote:
    I *almost* bought a D100, but went with the 10D after fondling them at the same time. The ergos of the Canon just fit me better. Everytime I picked up the Nikon, my thumb would hit some buttons on the back. Aside from that, I was a bit skitterish of the issues I read on the net about flash exposure problems. The cost-effective move would have been to get the Nikon, since I've got some Nikon glass already. Oh well...you pays your money and you takes your chances. I love my Canon. I'm sure I'd love the Nikon if I chose it.
    I also owned a cheap Nikon bodie and 3 or 4 lenses - Not all Nikon - a 90 Tamron macro - so I was predisposed to Nikon - Nikon I think certainly has the edge in wide angle lenses - whereas Canon seems to offer really nice telephotos with wide aperatures and IS. My first digicam was a Nikon 995 which is a great little camera that I still like and use. But I have had some frustrations with Nikons ability to introduce software updates timely on the web. And the last time I looked I could no longer find the driver for the Nikon CoolScan IV on the Web after I had a hard drive crash. I finally found it on a website in France but not on any of Nikon's websites. So I was a little frustrated by Nikon last summer.

Then last August I got the chance to see a 10D and to look at the images and prints that were being made with it -and I bit the bullet and held my nose - and went over to the Canon system. And I have no regrets. And to my delight - Canon really seems to have the WEB ducks in a row - you get a nice welcome to register the camera - a free CD with information about digital workflow and a specail email site dedicated to answering questions about the EOS DIgital cameras. It was like when you buy a Harley - they say "Welcome to the Family" They realy try to make you feel like somebody special - I call this smart marketing.........

I liked the quality of the images with the Canon 10D so much I bought the 300D for my wife when it came out - she was going on a sabatical to Finland and I wanted her to get good pictures - and she did! IS lenses are great things for people who stab shutters! For general photography the 300D Digital Rebel is a very nice camera - it is lighter than the 10D - If you are carrying it on your shoulder all aftrnoon this may not be a bad thing! It does not have mirror lock up and selective autofocus but it is still a great value epecially if you already have Canon glass. And although the body is resin - the lens mount is steel.

Having said all this - If I had a lot of nice Nikon lenses I might have bought the D100. I hve borrowed a friends and it is certainly a nice camera. But right NOW - I would wait until after the PMA show and see what the manufacturers all announce. What a wondrous set of choices are offered us these days - eh what?

Pathfinder
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2004
    Here's my guilt: I'm a mediocre photographer with scant technical knowledge or ability.

Here's my secret: I don't want the 300D, the 10D, the D60, the D100, the D70 or the 1Ds.

Here's my guilty secret: I want a Canon 1D. I want that speed, baby. I want to shoot a speeding bullet and see it wink as it goes by. I want to shoot people in a natural setting so quickly that I don't lose the moment or the look. I want to go to the track and pan a bike and actually get a shot. I want to drive nails into concrete when I've left my hammer home.

OK, not the last bit. And I know it's a heavy camera. But not even the 10D really comes through in the Maxim machine gun department. Patch29 once let me fire off a few frames with his 1D. Seventy-six frames later I realised I still had my finger on the trigger. Utterly amazing. I just don't think that camera can miss a shot. It may "only" have 4.48 million pixels, but those are some corn fed, honking sized pixels, by all accounts.

I can't afford it. I don't deserve it. It makes no sense at all for me to have it. But I want it. Since when did reason govern man's decisions?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2004
    Molsondog wrote:
    Make your decision and don't look back.
    That's exactly right. You can always wait for something better, faster, cheaper to come out tomorrow, next week, next month or next year, but in the meantime, you've got bupkis.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited January 23, 2004
    fish wrote:
    That's exactly right. You can always wait for something better, faster, cheaper to come out tomorrow, next week, next month or next year, but in the meantime, you've got bupkis.
    And after you buy, bigger-better-faster-cheaper will come out.

Welcome to the technology sector :)

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DarkRubiTJDarkRubiTJ Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited January 23, 2004
    I looked at the Nikon Coolpix 5700 ( I beleive) when I bought my Digital Rebel. I had been fondleing the Nikon for about a year, I wanted the the 10 to 1 zoom. Canon had just introed the DRebel and it is a winner. At the same price as the Nikon it was a no brain decision. That Nikon makes good stuff is not in question, IMHO not good enough to warrant the extra money they always want.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Here's my guilt: I'm a mediocre photographer with scant technical knowledge or ability.

Here's my secret: I don't want the 300D, the 10D, the D60, the D100, the D70 or the 1Ds.

Here's my guilty secret: I want a Canon 1D. I want that speed, baby. I want to shoot a speeding bullet and see it wink as it goes by. I want to shoot people in a natural setting so quickly that I don't lose the moment or the look. I want to go to the track and pan a bike and actually get a shot. I want to drive nails into concrete when I've left my hammer home.

OK, not the last bit. And I know it's a heavy camera. But not even the 10D really comes through in the Maxim machine gun department. Patch29 once let me fire off a few frames with his 1D. Seventy-six frames later I realised I still had my finger on the trigger. Utterly amazing. I just don't think that camera can miss a shot. It may "only" have 4.48 million pixels, but those are some corn fed, honking sized pixels, by all accounts.

I can't afford it. I don't deserve it. It makes no sense at all for me to have it. But I want it. Since when did reason govern man's decisions?
    Waxy...what about the olympus c-5060 ? Half the size & cost but still takes a great photo & you can add lens's.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2004
    Mark, that's a nice camera. Thing is, it's more or less like the Canon G3 I have now. More importantly, it only shoots a burst of 3 frames per second, up to 4 frames. Whereas my darlin' 1D goes like a buzzsaw at 8 frames per second, up to 16 frames. Yeehaw!
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

I do too for just the reasons you stated - but I am waiting to see what Canon does in responce to the Nikon D2H - some think they will upgrade the 1D - Thus either lowering the price on the 1D or replacing it.... So I plan to wait until late February or March before I decide. A 1D with 6 million pixels might be even nicer, no?
    If we could only have what we deserve, most of us would not ride motorcycles or drive nice cars either......

Pathfinder

• Options
    edited January 23, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I do too for just the reasons you stated - but I am waiting to see what Canon does in responce to the Nikon D2H - some think they will upgrade the 1D - Thus either lowering the price on the 1D or replacing it.... So I plan to wait until late February or March before I decide. A 1D with 6 million pixels might be even nicer, no?
    If we could only have what we deserve, most of us would not ride motorcycles or drive nice cars either......

Pathfinder

rolleyes1.gif So true! Yup, I'm waiting too.nod.gif Hey, maybe there will be a cheaper 1D floating around in the next few months, as the camera gets upgraded. You never know. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2004
    Up-dates on the Web??
    headscratch.gif I still like and use. But I have had some frustrations with Nikons ability to introduce software updates timely on the web. Please do forgive me..but was reading a bit on your replay..being new to the digital world..and owner of the D100..did not know about up-dates on software..could you Please be more specific..thank's and again do enjoy reading the info..you and others have sent ..lens60 California jet_92336@yahoo.com
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 23, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

Nice one waxy - especially the winking speeding bullet!

My .02: I have a D Rebel and I love it. Sure the 10D is better, sure something better might come out. But for $1k I have a digital SLR and I'm having a blast shooting photos. But then again, I have no lens investment. I think that is really the key.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited January 23, 2004
    headscratch.gif I still like and use. But I have had some frustrations with Nikons ability to introduce software updates timely on the web. Please do forgive me..but was reading a bit on your replay..being new to the digital world..and owner of the D100..did not know about up-dates on software..could you Please be more specific..thank's and again do enjoy reading the info..you and others have sent ..lens60 California jet_92336@yahoo.com
    My comments about firmware or hardware update difficulties were in reference to the CoolScan IV slide scanner last summer - www.nikontechusa.com was down for a while last summer. ? days or weeks - seemed like a long time back then. This made me a little disgruntled with their web support. It now seems much better.

Their current site at www.nikontechusa.com is quite nice and I found a firmware upgrade for the D100 in just a few minutes of perusal http://www.nikonusa.com/fileuploads/firmware_upgrades/d100.html Check to be sure what your current firmware is - you might not need it. I have updated the firmware in my CooPix 995 via this web site in the past quite easily.

Read their instructions and warnings carefully - just like when I upgraded the firmware on my 995 - you are on your own - I wish you good fortune grasshopper....

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Mark, that's a nice camera. Thing is, it's more or less like the Canon G3 I have now. More importantly, it only shoots a burst of 3 frames per second, up to 4 frames. Whereas my darlin' 1D goes like a buzzsaw at 8 frames per second, up to 16 frames. Yeehaw!
    I see...that is fast ! You bastard.. now i want one !!!!!!!!!!!

PS. Whats with this mark shit ?

I'm Lord Humungus...ruler of the wasteland.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    I see...that is fast ! You bastard.. now i want one !!!!!!!!!!!

PS. Whats with this mark shit ?

I'm Lord Humungus...ruler of the wasteland.

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif Sorry, your Hummungusness. bowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2004
    Thank You..
    Their current site at www.nikontechusa.com is quite nice and I found a firmware upgrade for the D100 in just a few minutes of perusal http://www.nikonusa.com/fileuploads/firmware_upgrades/d100.html Check to be sure what your current firmware is - you might not need it. I have updated the firmware in my CooPix 995 via this web site in the past quite easily.
    thumb.gifThank You..still a little in the dark as to (Firmware)..eek7.gif what I understand is that one must send in the Camera for this up-grade..or is it downloaded directly in the Camera...Thanks Lens 60
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2004
    what I understand is that one must send in the Camera for this up-grade..or is it downloaded directly in the Camera...Thanks Lens 60

That appears to be correct. From the Nikon service link:

2. Firmware upgrade service is now available at Nikon's main service stations, located at Melville, New York and Torrance, California. To minimize the turn around time for your camera's firmware upgrade, send your camera together with a copy of the official packing list (see download above) to the Nikon station nearest you. You may send cameras to these two service stations for firmware upgrades and also for other service requirements.

3. Authorized Repair Services (other than Nikon's own facilities at Torrance and Melville) can provide repair service but CANNOT provide firmware upgrade service.

4. Cost for shipping to Nikon Inc. are customer's responsibility. Nikon will pay the return shipping cost.Nikon will endeavor to complete and return cameras as quickly as possible. Actual time for return will depend upon upgrade volume.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2004
    Thank You..
    fish wrote:
    That appears to be correct. From the Nikon service link:

thumb.gifThank You..for your quick replay to my concern..do appreciate it...I really happy with the info that I have been receiving from folk's...Jerry in Fontana, Ca. clap.gif