Options

Moving from Menalto Gallery to smugmug?

aschwaaschwa Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited September 14, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Hi, I currently have a bunch of albums set up in Gallery (gallery.menalto.com). Because maintiaining my own server is a pain in the neck, I was thinking about switching over to smugmug. Is it possible to batch transfer all of the albums in one shot, or will I need to do each album individually? I am running Gallery 1.54, and can pull off all of the files into a windows directory structure (i.e. I could have C:\Pictures, and inside of that directory, have subdirectories with all of my albums). Also, I don't care about comments, or anything else, as far as Gallery Metadata. The main pain-in-the-neck would be creating each gallery individually and giving it a title, then mass-uploading the pictures. I'd rather the process get automated based on the name of the directory.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2005
    aschwa wrote:
    Hi, I currently have a bunch of albums set up in Gallery (gallery.menalto.com). Because maintiaining my own server is a pain in the neck, I was thinking about switching over to smugmug. Is it possible to batch transfer all of the albums in one shot, or will I need to do each album individually? I am running Gallery 1.54, and can pull off all of the files into a windows directory structure (i.e. I could have C:\Pictures, and inside of that directory, have subdirectories with all of my albums). Also, I don't care about comments, or anything else, as far as Gallery Metadata. The main pain-in-the-neck would be creating each gallery individually and giving it a title, then mass-uploading the pictures. I'd rather the process get automated based on the name of the directory.

Any thoughts?

bump and

there are some bulk upload tools available, check the hacks forum, and look for Star Explorer.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    Star*Explorer can do most of this
    aschwa wrote:

Any thoughts?
    I've used Star*Explorer to upload thousands of images across many galleries. As best I know, it won't build galleries automatically from a directory structure, but once you've created the gallery structure yourself, it will let you drag/drop groups of files into each gallery and then it will do the upload of thousands of files across many galleries all by itself without you having to intervene for each gallery.

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    I uplaoded a whole "Pictures" directory, which had a few hundred folders in it, all in one shot with Star Explorer. I just clicked and dragged all of the folders over to the program, and it automatically created the galleries in Smugmug, and put the pictures in their respective galleries...

Of course I had connection problems, and I'd come back a few hours later to see something went wrong an hour ago and I the last 15 galleries all timed out with a RC4 or something error. I think this was related to my cable connection or my router, because after the upload to Smugmug failed, my internet didn't work! I could type online on AIM, but no websites worked? The only way to fix this for me was by resetting my Router...

This sometimes happens when using the official Smugmug uploaders too...so its not specific to Star Explorer. I'd just keep an eye on it.

Good luck!