Options

10 Stop ND? Anywhere???

JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
edited November 8, 2011 in Accessories
Why are some filters so hard to come by? I'm looking for a 10 stop ND, seems LEE is the only one that makes one in a 4x4 configuration (I'm done with spending $$$ on the same filter for various lenses!) and nobody EVER has them in stock. 2filter is expecting in Beginning of June.. well, month is half over and nothing yet. B&H, Adorama, both out of stock and "Expected" but really, are these filters that damn popular? I guess for people shooting the sun and industrial processes (welding) they can be useful but it seems they either don't make a hell of a lot or what comes in goes right out when they are in stock!

Comments

• Options
    HelenOsterHelenOster Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2011
    Why are some filters so hard to come by? I'm looking for a 10 stop ND, seems LEE is the only one that makes one in a 4x4 configuration (I'm done with spending $$$ on the same filter for various lenses!) and nobody EVER has them in stock. 2filter is expecting in Beginning of June.. well, month is half over and nothing yet. B&H, Adorama, both out of stock and "Expected" but really, are these filters that damn popular? I guess for people shooting the sun and industrial processes (welding) they can be useful but it seems they either don't make a hell of a lot or what comes in goes right out when they are in stock!

I can't speak for any other retailer, but when we receive a new shipment all back-orders will be fulfilled first,so if you are waiting to see them in stock before you place an order, you could be waiting for a l-o-o-o-ng time........
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    http://twitter.com/HelenOster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2011
    every where I have checked says back ordered by MFG'er....no delivery date know.......however...you might check your local or nearest theatrical supply company for Rosco lighting gels.....they make really great filters....yes these are for theater lighting and are very thin and cutable with scissors....but in a pinch could work....and probable only run you about $10 for 18x24" sheet......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited June 21, 2011
    Art.. For a Neutral Density.. I really am looking for Glass. If it was for a flash? No problem, I'll go to Guitar Center and pick up some DJ Gels... Or drive out to Calumet and get a pack of them.. but for going over the lens, I need consistency and while they make ND filters for lights you can't be guaranteed that they wont cause some kind of color cast. Even the old B+W 10 stop filter was known to have a magenta cast, where as the Lee is pretty rock solid but non-existent.

I just read on 2filter.com they had 7 delivered to the states recently, for ALL US vendors... 7? Guess there where/are some production issues and they are expecting larger shipments soon... I can only hope...
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    Hi Jim,
    It might be worth dropping this company an email regarding what you require. They are based in the UK in Wales but manufacture filters. If they dont have exactly what you require then they will make whatever you want. Oh and yes they are glass filters.
    Here's a link to their site
    http://www.formatt.co.uk/default.aspx

If you look around their site, you'll see that they deal globally (B&H in New York, Calumet in Illinois, Adorama in New York etc) so they aren't some cheapo poor quality product, you may have more luck dealing directly with the manufacturer.
    Good Luck

Carpy thumb.gif
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    A B&W 10-stop MRC screw in filter should fit on all of your lenses as well.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    Jason HermannJason Hermann Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2011
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2011
    Jason, I thought about it, but it's only 8 stops, I really want 10. And I really, REALLY do not want any screw-ons. No more of that BS for me.. Laughing.gif, I say that but I do own 1, a 105mm CP that screws to the front of my 4x4 holder.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,921 moderator
    edited July 15, 2011
    Have you checked out 2Filter.com recently?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2011
    Still backordered. No status update since March.
  • Options
    sxrsxr Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 22, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Have you checked out 2Filter.com recently?

Wow, I am still dizzy from looking at the site. How can someone selling to visual artists do something like that? Intentionally retro and confusing?

Anyway, sitting on the fence for an 10 stop ND as well and due to the ongoing supply problems with the Lee I started looking at alternatives. Came across this comparison to the Hitech filter, which clearly eliminated the Hitech. However, they now updated that filter and it seems a viable option. Anyone here tried the new Hitech?
  • Options
    roakeyroakey Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    Old note but figured I'd post my experience with 2filter.com, which is all good. Ordered the Lee foundation kit, 77mm adapter and a soft edge ND gradual filter kit from them (and yes, I agree that's one of the worst websites I've seen in a long time). The adapter and foundation kit was shipped within a week. As I type this, my filters are "in the mail" in less than three weeks. If you want Lee filters, I think your only option is to order them before you need them and be prepared to wait. And if you're lucky, like me this time 'round, you might not have to wait that long.

Roak
    [email]roakeyatunderctekdotcom[/email]
    <== Mighty Murphy, the wonder Bouv!