DSC06805-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jwtruth35jwtruth35 Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2011
  • Options
    jensantos16jensantos16 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 17, 2011
    no troll here, i was trying to post 7 photos and it failed.

mods, please delete or lock this thread.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2011
    You can always edit to post more.

So that said.. talk about going for the first kiss action.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    I will cut right to the chase, so that we can get past it asap if this is a prank post, or so that we can help you as much as possible if this is a legit post. Here goes:

Great image, lose the partial B&W processing ASAP. It doesn't just detract from the impact of the image, it makes it completely un-viewable for 75% of photographers in existence. ;-)

Honestly though it's a great image, if it were 100% B&W or 100% color.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    Not a huge fan at all when it comes to selective coloring. But above and beyond my opinion, take a look at the brides hand. Definitely doesn't work for this image.
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2011
    Wow!!!! It looks like someone has gotten photoshop!!!mwink.gif
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    I will cut right to the chase, so that we can get past it asap if this is a prank post, or so that we can help you as much as possible if this is a legit post. Here goes:

Great image, lose the partial B&W processing ASAP. It doesn't just detract from the impact of the image, it makes it completely un-viewable for 75% of photographers in existence. ;-)

Honestly though it's a great image, if it were 100% B&W or 100% color.

=Matt=
    I tend to agree - the selective colorization technique is well past being old for those who have been around for a while.

But, that having been said - believe it or not, "It's not all about the photographer!" It's about what the client want's likes and this sort of image is new to many clients. One or two delivered in a package to the client (the couple) can be a good thing. But, the colorization has to bring focus to the subject of the photo - and it does that here.

As to the photo - I think I would de-sat the color layer a bit. Just a hint of color will, I believe, strengthen this image over what is posted here.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    ...But, that having been said - believe it or not, "It's not all about the photographer!" It's about what the client want's likes and this sort of image is new to many clients. One or two delivered in a package to the client (the couple) can be a good thing....
    True, but the client asking me to deliver such a style of processing would be almost as embarassing as them asking me to show up to shoot the wedding in my underwear. I'm just not comfortable doing it!

;-)
    =Matt=
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2011
    True, but the client asking me to deliver such a style of processing would be almost as embarassing as them asking me to show up to shoot the wedding in my underwear. I'm just not comfortable doing it!

;-)
    =Matt=

Hahahaha I couldn't have said it better myself. I refuse to do selective color on principle.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2011
    I have the impression that this is not a wedding photographer, but perhaps a guest that got a little excited about the images they captured.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2011
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    I have the impression that this is not a wedding photographer, but perhaps a guest that got a little excited about the images they captured.

Good point, and as a GUEST instead of the hired professional, this is the perfect time to experiment and get feedback.

And as a guest, the image is actually quite beautifully captured, were it not for the photoshop. So that would still be my critique; for a pro *or* a hobbyist- lose the novelty photoshop trick, and the image will be stunning.

BTW, for the record I've done this type of processing myself, we all go through the phase. I'm just hoping to help the process along, so that the photographer can move on to developing their style in a more timeless manner. :-)

=Matt=
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2011
    Good point, and as a GUEST instead of the hired professional, this is the perfect time to experiment and get feedback.

And as a guest, the image is actually quite beautifully captured, were it not for the photoshop. So that would still be my critique; for a pro *or* a hobbyist- lose the novelty photoshop trick, and the image will be stunning.

BTW, for the record I've done this type of processing myself, we all go through the phase. I'm just hoping to help the process along, so that the photographer can move on to developing their style in a more timeless manner. :-)

=Matt=

I'm glad I read this thread. I had one selective color shot in the first wedding I shot (posted here probably two or three threads down) It was from the rehearsal dinner.

NEVER AGAIN.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2011
    Wow. I don't care for selective color either, but you guys are harsh. ne_nau.gif

jensantos16, I'm not prepared to close or lock this thread. And don't let these guys scare you off. That's a mighty-fine first DSLR wedding shot. These guys are just feisty about selective color.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Wow. I don't care for selective color either, but you guys are harsh. ne_nau.gif

jensantos16, I'm not prepared to close or lock this thread. And don't let these guys scare you off. That's a mighty-fine first DSLR wedding shot. These guys are just feisty about selective color.

Indeed, I never suspected a troll, and I'm glad that Jen posted. If the other images are as good as this one, I'm sure that we'd enjoy viewing them. I simply dislike selective color, but as I explained that's just a phase we all go through. I've still got plenty of my own "phases" to look forward to... ;-)

=Matt=
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    How about showing us another version of this shot processed differently? It's actually a pretty good shot. Or more from the wedding? There are some awesome pros here who really do want to help new photographers learn. They aren't trying to be mean, just brutally honest. And Matt is right- we all go through phases and try things. Sometimes our experiments are successful, sometimes not so much.
  • Options
    MammaPaparazzaMammaPaparazza Registered Users Posts: 221 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2011
    Yeah, some people actually request shots like these...maybe all you pro's are over it, but when people pay you for images they want...you deliver, or you dont get any more work from them.
    I dont know about you...but my pocketbook could always use some cash, especially now a days...so I'm not to proud that I wont deliver what is asked of me-even if it's a "principal" thing.
    Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively. - Dalai Lama XIV
    It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 28, 2011
    Shima wrote: »
    I refuse to do selective color on principle.
    I'll pick on Shima because I know she can take it... You guys crack me up! Should I dig in to the Dgrin archives??? If I go back enough years, you were ALL doing selective color!
    lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    MammaPaparazzaMammaPaparazza Registered Users Posts: 221 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2011
    DoctorIt wrote: »
    I'll pick on Shima because I know she can take it... You guys crack me up! Should I dig in to the Dgrin archives??? If I go back enough years, you were ALL doing selective color!
    lol3.gif

Woot! clap.gif
    Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively. - Dalai Lama XIV
    It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    Yeah, some people actually request shots like these...maybe all you pro's are over it, but when people pay you for images they want...you deliver, or you dont get any more work from them.
    I dont know about you...but my pocketbook could always use some cash, especially now a days...so I'm not to proud that I wont deliver what is asked of me-even if it's a "principal" thing.

Yup - just what I said above. I'm glad I'm not alone in this feeling. clap.gif
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2011
    Yup - just what I said above. I'm glad I'm not alone in this feeling. clap.gif

Selective color...+1. The times that I've used selective coloring...my clients have loved it. I don't get the, "against my principles," thing.

I can see no reason not to add a few to the mix, if some of the shots might benefit from selective coloring. All in good taste of course...but then that's what time and practice is for...developing your eye...so that you'll know what a nice picture is supposed to look like.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed