Options

When to use noise reduction

Chuck289Chuck289 Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited June 30, 2011 in Technique
I just got a D3100 and have been learning and practicing with it. I was wondering what the downsides are of using in-camera noise reduction and when should it not be used?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,834 moderator
    edited June 28, 2011
    Levels of noise and in-camera noise reduction amounts are both very personal issues and vary from individual to individual. I prefer not to use in-camera noise reduction at all because it tends to be of less quality, and certainly less controllable, than software noise reduction algorithms running in a full computer.

I would only recommend using in-camera noise reduction for those situations where you need to deliver JPG images immediately following a shoot with no opportunity for post-processing. Only testing beforehand will give you feedback on what levels are acceptable but the more detail in the original scene the less you want in-camera noise reduction. (In-camera noise reduction tends to be less discriminate about image detail and tends to kill fine detail more than the best noise reduction software running on a computer.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2011
    Thanks. I guess I'll play around with some images to get a better feel for it
  • Options
    OhiohikerOhiohiker Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2011
    The only time I use in camera noise reduction is for long exposures at high ISO. Typically 15 seconds or more. This tends to get me to a good starting point and I still have to use NR in Lightroom. Just remember that for most DSLRs when you use in camera NR your camera will be "tied up" for an equal amount of time to the exposure. For example if you take a 30 second exposure you camera will need 30 seconds to complete the NR.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2011
    beer.gifThanks guys, good to know about noise reduction.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2011
    Thats when I started wondering about noise reduction. I was taking some long exposures of the stars and I was playing with the NR. I'm not sure if I noticed much of a difference.